Looking for an inexpensive holiday gift / acoustic guitar for a beginner?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I have to admit, when I read the review I wasn't impressed. The .009 strings are 'way too light for an acoustic and it'll likely need a setup with the first string change. I'm not that concerned about the laminated top at that price point especially since it's a "beginner " guitar but many players will outgrow it. A decent Yamaha, Recording King, or Samick strung with maybe .011's would be my choice. for a beginner. Actually, I'd find a decent used guitar and put .011's on it along with a setup.

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate. I'm pretty good at that.

Those "spruce" "mahogany" "laminates" are just paper thin veneers. They do make the guitar look pretty, but there is probably some crappy junk wood in between those pretty veneers.

I suppose that's possible. :idk: As best as I can tell, the top appears to be a three-layer laminate, with all three pieces being roughly equal in thickness. The materials all appear to be similar in shading and basic look. It would be hard to photograph because the layers look so similar. They could have put something inferior in the center of the sandwich, but if they did, it doesn't really show at the soundhole. But that certainly wouldn't be unheard-of. I'd expect the more cosmetically unattractive woods to be used where they can't be seen. And I definitely don't expect the best of woods to be used in a guitar that sells for what the entry-level Epiphone PRO-1 does.

If it comes with those ultra light strings, it makes me wonder how well it will handle heavier strings. At the very least, the action is going to go all to hell if you try to put mediums on it.

It's intended as a beginner's guitar. IMHO no beginner in their right mind is going to jump right to mediums, but I certainly considered the effects of using heavier strings. It handles light gauge strings just fine - I tried 12-53's on it, and all it took was a bit of an adjustment on the dual-action truss rod to get everything dialed in with either the stock ultra-light or standard light gauge strings. As I said in the review, the tone does get better with heavier strings, but for a person who is just starting out, I'd recommend sticking with the stock ultra-light gauge strings until they build up their callouses and dexterity a bit... but even once they do, I wouldn't really recommend medium gauge strings for a true beginner under most circumstances. YMMV

This might be the ticket if a beginner absolutely positively cannot cough up the extra eighty or so bucks for a Yamaha FG700s. Beats a Rogue.

So am I to assume from this that you've played all of these models, including the Epiphone? :) Unless I have done so, I won't make relative comparisons... but the PRO-1 Plus would probably be a fairer comparison with the FG700S since it also has a solid top. Comparisons aside, I was really surprised by what $120 can get you these days in terms of a decent beginner's acoustic. Sure it's a laminate-wood guitar, but it plays well and sounds decent enough... but again, it IS an entry-level beginner's guitar. Most of us here aren't going to run out and buy one unless it's as a knockabout / beach campfire guitar, but if you have a teenager who wants to learn how to play, or a friend, it's a cheap way for them to get started.

A few other consideration are the FG700s would not be something a beginner would outgrow any time soon tone wise.

Again, I mentioned that in the review - I think it's great to buy something a little bit more upscale such as a solid-topped guitar that you can "grow into", but that's not always an option. Some people are on very tight budgets and in some cases, whether or not Junior is going to get a guitar at all is going to come down to whether it is affordable enough or not. Mom and Dad may be willing to throw down $120 on what they assume might be a passing whim, but maybe not $200. Or maybe they just can't swing $200 at all... for those people, I think the PRO-1 is worthy of consideration. For those who can afford a bit more, getting a solid top is definitely a good idea IMO. Epiphone offers that in the next model up - the PRO-1 Plus, although it seems to go for about $20-30 more than the Yamaha FG700S does.

Also comes ready to rock'n'roll with a fairly low factory setup.

I was surprised by the setup on the Epiphone. Pleasantly so. I expected much worse, but it was actually well done - low and buzz-free. The jumbo frets (and they're pretty big...) are also nicely crowned and dressed, with no sharp fret edges. The neck feels pretty good too, although rolled fingerboard edges would make it even more comfortable - but again, that's not a feature I'd generally expect in an entry-level guitar.

• Members

I did say it looked like a decent guitar and I was merely pointing out for the sake of a beginner that might happen upon this thread the option available to own a guitar that potentially could (for an additional eighty dollars) meet their needs for a lifetime ...

• Members

H-e-doublesticks, the price is right at a buck-19. I'd buy it just on curiosity. What were those Gretch 00s theme-painted guitars going for on that blow-out sale a few years back? Something like $60.00? Of those who buckled under and bought one without reading any quality testimonials, not one provided us with any kind of feedback response. I think most flipped them for an an additional 50. Here we at least have a man's review going in. That's gotta be worth the difference.

• Members
H-e-doublesticks' date=' the price is right at a buck-19. I'd buy it just on curiosity. What were those Gretch 00s theme-painted guitars going for on that blow-out sale a few years back? Something like $60.00? . . .[/quote']

I remember those. I wouldn't have one as a gift. They were hideous looking.

• Members

I think that if I'm starting a beginner on an acoustic its gonna have a short scale neck and light to extra light strings. A compact size isn't a bad idea either, but no ultra small guitars. I don't care about them growing out of the guitar at any budget of $300 or less. When they get proficient and want a better git, then just buy a better git and sell the old one.

Fit, feel, ease of playing and durability are more important than tone to a cold stone noob or a kid. My vote when asked has always been the Epiphone 00 Pro http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-el-00-pro-acoustic-electric-guitar

H-e-doublesticks' date=' the price is right at a buck-19. I'd buy it just on curiosity. What were those Gretch 00s theme-painted guitars going for on that blow-out sale a few years back? Something like $60.00? Of those who buckled under and bought one without reading any quality testimonials, not one provided us with any kind of feedback response. I think most flipped them for an an additional 50. Here we at least have a man's review going in. That's gotta be worth the difference.[/quote']

Coincidentally, I saw that Gretsch just released a limited edition Jim Dandy acoustic for $239 MSRP / $149 "street" a couple of days ago...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/gretsch-releases-limited-edition-jim-dandy-flat-top-acoustic

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2704004599

Looks like they're more of a parlor-sized guitar, with a 24" scale length. I haven't tried one yet, so I have no idea if they're any good or not. :idk: Cosmetically, it looks a lot like some of the cheaper guitars from the 60s when I was a little kid.

fetch?id=31304483

Playability over tone or looks in my opinion.

I think I'd agree with that. A beginner often lacks the ability to discern a good tone; they're usually more worried about playing chords cleanly without everything buzzing. I think that more often that not they're discouraged not by the quality of the sound they're getting out of the instrument, but by the physical challenges and discomfort of trying to play it cleanly. A guitar and setup that one of us might be willing struggle with a little bit for the sake of getting a beefier / better sound might simply be too much for a beginner to handle physically. IMO it's often better to make it as easy as possible on them in the beginning stages until the callouses, ears, hand strength & dexterity and most importantly, the practice discipline and commitment to playing build up enough.

Then we can start torturing them. ;):lol:

Archived