Why do people assume that because you play guitar you know every song ever written?

DeepEnd

• Members

The title pretty much says it. I spent the weekend at a church retreat and Saturday night we gathered around the campfire. I'd brought my guitar so we could all sing. I can play stuff I know reasonably well by ear but depending on the song I really like having at least lyrics handy. "Kum Ba Ya" went well, "She'll Be Comin' Round The Mountain," and "Awesome God" but other stuff tanked. One woman requested "If I Had A Hammer" and then realized she didn't know it. And I refused to play "Ninety Nine Bottles Of Beer On The Wall." Anyway, does this happen to you? [/rant]

• Members

Wot?

You don't know every feclin' song ever written in every possible variation by heart?

Just like the guy that asked for "American Pi(sic!) - But play Madonna's original version"

Guess what? I mostly have a second guitar or uke with me, I hand that over and say "Play it for me,pleadse,I'll join in!" and poof the problem goes....

• Members

Well then, don't let on that you play. I don't. Interesting title that Kum Ba Ya. I was reading about it one day and learned it's actually Come By Here. The researchers making a sweep of the south chronicling the music of the time for the Library of Congress understood it as Kum By Ya and it's gone down in history as such. Kinda makes me feel dumb singing it now that I know that.

• Members

Because they're generous would be the most charitable interpretation.

I can fake my way through an awful lot of songs. Even some I've never heard before if the singer has it down. Lyrics are another thing entirely. For awhile I had a partner who had a whole library of lyrics memorized. Together we could take requests like crazy.

• Members

Unfortunately, not letting on that I play wasn't an option. I go to church with these people and they see me playing in praise band every week. As for "Kum Ba Ya," I was aware of what it meant. I've always been told that it's some African dialect but whether that's true I couldn't say.

• Members

Ditto the above from jamesp. I don't think they assume as much as they're hopeful. Most songs are simple 1-4-5 progs, or 1-4-5 with a 2 and a 6 thrown in, so a boatload are easy to fake, it's the lyrics... Yeah, dang words.

• Members

Just a though , but you might want to pick up a couple of fake books or cheat books -

basically their the song with lead notes and basic chords written over each .

some of these books have hundreds of songs . you can get them from all eras -

like the 70's , 80's , 90' etc.

Im not sure about the price -mine are extremely old bought them back in the 70's.

you can bring them along and if you get a request for this or that song-

most of the popular tunes from those years are in their .

Id check your local music store, amazon or the net -for your best deal .

• Members

Fake books are a nice idea but they're not much help in the dark, LOL.

Ditto the above from jamesp. I don't think they assume as much as they're hopeful. Most songs are simple 1-4-5 progs, or 1-4-5 with a 2 and a 6 thrown in, so a boatload are easy to fake, it's the lyrics... Yeah, dang words.

Yeah, jamesp and I must have cross posted because I didn't see his post when I wrote my latest reply. I agree that lyrics are generally the hard part. Heck, I have trouble remembering the lyrics to originals. :philpalm:

• Members
<------ on a smart phone ...

And if I had a smart phone--and someone to hold it for me--that would be a great idea. Hmm. If I'm going to do this again, I need a music stand with a light. Have to shop for one. Or maybe convince my wife to put songs on her Kindle for me.

• Members

Maybe you too young to know about, but Johnny Carson and Doc used to have a "stump the band" section from time to time.... always good for laughs. I recall seeing that they'd found some eq to sheet music from some ancient mid east dig. Haven't learned that one yet, however. This stuff not bad, but don't know if authentic

Archived