Swearing

Neal

• Members

Are you boys (and that's obvious, men wouldn't have this issue) still trying to use things to be able to say the"F" word? What lengths are you willing to debase yourselves? How many hoops are you willing to jump? C'mon.. Be men.

• Members

Real men do not need to use the '"F" word, nor do they substitute vulgar euphemisms such as --- laying pipe, taking the skin boat to Tunatown,,doing the baby's mommy bury one-eyed Willy,bump uglies etc.0n the forum, as in the real world, one must be circumspect of one's language.

• Members
Real men do not need to use the '"F" word, nor do they substitute vulgar euphemisms such as --- laying pipe, taking the skin boat to Tunatown,,doing the baby's mommy bury one-eyed Willy,bump uglies etc.0n the forum, as in the real world, one must be circumspect of one's language.

Real men. I don't think I can define that so we'll leave the top two posts here as markers for unreal and real men and let the world figure out which one is which, in the relative sense.

I prefer to be an artificial man. I don't know what that is, either, but it sounds like it's easier to fake.

• Members

While I disagree with Poppy's premise, if one has to jump thru hoops to swear, it seems to me that it would be a more productive use of one's energy to figure out a better way to get one's point across. I mean, a goodly number of posts here are simply exercises in folks putting on their clever hats to look "smart". Maybe that energy can be directed more productively and friendlier.

• Members

I certainly have been known to swear when its appropriate. But most of the time swearing just to be swearing demeans the person doing the swearing, and of course, the little potty mouths who feel that it part of conversation don't have anything to say anyway.

I had to laugh when a candidate for a job at my company called me up to ask "why the f**k he hadn't gotten the job" (his exact words) . Mmmmm.....

• Members

Sure it is. For you, and probably a few others that need a placeholder to show your lack of command of the English language. "Fock" is a word invented ( or simply used..) by a writer in Milwaukee named Art Kumbalek. But hey, I swear aaaalllll the time, a regular longshoreman I am, but if it's not welcome, I, and many others, are able to come up with appropriate language to get our points across. You should, maybe, think more.

• Members
While I disagree with Poppy's premise, if one has to jump thru hoops to swear, it seems to me that it would be a more productive use of one's energy to figure out a better way to get one's point across. I mean, a goodly number of posts here are simply exercises in folks putting on their clever hats to look "smart". Maybe that energy can be directed more productively and friendlier.

Is this a turn-around for you, Neal? I mean, most of your energy here has not been put towards the goal noted in you last statement. Your recent history of mockery suits a different goal and then this post catches you with your targeting computer off. No need to turn it back on just to respond to me.

There is no looking smart if it isn't recognized here. Not saying it's a dumb place for dumb people. We just don't want smart. It's too much work, as you note, so being safe by asking unanswerable questions is where it's at. If no one knows anything, there's no wrong answers and everything slides by in vanilla mode. I mean, who can get worked up over bridge pin tone or sonic peculiarities of headstock mass? No one knows anything about that stuff at the physics level but it permeates, dwells, and breathes life into the forum. Meanwhile, the cerebellum is left at the door on the way into the place. It's become an unspoken rule to discuss only that which bears no fruit. Then again, who needs facts in a discussion? They're boring because they're already indisputably beyond debate. May as well keep on chatting about nothing useful.

• Members

Is this a turn-around for you, Neal? I mean, most of your energy here has not been put towards the goal noted in you last statement. Your recent history of mockery suits a different goal and then this post catches you with your targeting computer off. No need to turn it back on just to respond to me.

There is no looking smart if it isn't recognized here. Not saying it's a dumb place for dumb people. We just don't want smart. It's too much work, as you note, so being safe by asking unanswerable questions is where it's at. If no one knows anything, there's no wrong answers and everything slides by in vanilla mode. I mean, who can get worked up over bridge pin tone or sonic peculiarities of headstock mass? No one knows anything about that stuff at the physics level but it permeates, dwells, and breathes life into the forum. Meanwhile, the cerebellum is left at the door on the way into the place. It's become an unspoken rule to discuss only that which bears no fruit. Then again, who needs facts in a discussion? They're boring because they're already indisputably beyond debate. May as well keep on chatting about nothing useful.

I agree with some of what you say here I dunno. However, I believe that you left out at least one important piece in your argument. Let's call it, for the lack of a better term, Troll Science. Those bottom-feeders, who I won't call out by name, are entertained by baiting others in order to elicit a response. They bait and lure, looking for the opportunity to embarrass or make them feel stupid or intimidated in ways they would never be brave enough to do in real life. They hide anonymously behind a computer screen, while reporting to the general audience, "hey, I use my real name." Like that means anything!

I admit, it took me a long time to grasp the complexity of that role and that it is, and should be, a part of the forum framework. There will always be someone with a need and the necessary skills for the job. Obviously, one of the unfortunate side-effects of that pitiful existence seems to lead to a more heavily moderated forum which is required to maintain order. However, that regulatory response can stifle creative discussion. It is unfortunate that often times people are unable to gauge a respectable stopping point when disagreement occurs and heavy moderation tends to occur. Look at the AGF and even TDPRI. No offense, but they can be pretty boring places. I spend less time there these days than I do here.

I must admit now that I understand, I would prefer the old "fight to the death" forums of the past. They were a lot more fun and enticed some really creative and entertaining people, at both ends of the spectrum, to take part. Fortunately, I've finally learned that I can feel bad for the little trolls regardless of how stupid they act, without stooping all the way to their level. It doesn't cost me anything but a little pride and I am comfortable knowing that I don't have to become one of them.

• Members

I don't but a fellow forumite over in Electric Guitars did use font color tags to call me something nasty. Personally, I just don't see the point. As for using real names, years ago, I used to write for a local (St. Louis) monthly, generally on computing on a budget. My byline and photo were prominently displayed. But I got more than one crank email suggesting that I was hiding behind the name of my column ("The Frugal User") after I wrote something that proved to be unpopular with management types.

Archived