The fading future of forums?

Idunno

• Members

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29678989

This puritan is, as much as I hate to say it, right. And, in that vein I see the denizens of forum life fearing for themselves to the extent that maybe they don't want to be monitored for their online conduct. I mean, even this place never wanted a mod (Chappelle?) from intervening so we certainly don't want Dudley DoRight shadowing us looking for the next etiquette victim.

I still see the aspect of online terrorism as a very real thing and some people actually do fall victim to it. As stupid as that sounds, some people can't handle even reading something aimed at them, and below the belt. They can't distinguish virtual from reality because.....wait for it..... they don't have a reality in life as a frame of reference. They are young people who have never developed anything close to real relationships. All they know is the virtual world and that is their reality. To be accosted online is the real deal for them. And, this dood is going to do something about it.

Yay

but

so

fucking

sad.

I think the decline of civility as we're witnessing it now can be traced to the internet. Instead of placing limitations on it like Grayling proposes, I suggest its complete control admitting members only thru a single portal. It's not a strike down of freedom of speech. It's merely accountability where it needs to be.

The future -

Member - "Hi, yes, I'm going to site XXX.XXX.XX-1243 and my password is chuckufarley, *thumbprint*.

Site Cop - "Thank you, chucku, you are cleared on to your intended site, have a great day. Please be advised that the FAQ and Rules pages must be read and accepted by thumbprint recognition with each visit."

(Armed aerial drones are flying above major transmission sectors running signal intercepts on stationary and mobile pirate devices)

Edit to add: Dope is now legal globally.

Edit to add 2: Coated strings are now outlawed by elected moderators of good taste.

• Members

If I used the word prat, which is a new 4-letter word and therefore welcome to my expanding vocabulary, I'd be asked (or, axed) what it means by the local partial evolutionaries I've become acquainted with. Chances are I'd be targeting them with it because I'd know they don't know its meaning. What great fun comes from forum life.

Anyway, think about going out to a restaurant and watching the way people brutishly disassemble the food on their plates and deliver it to their faces. It's a rather disgusting show of etiquette blues and bowery manners these days. View the grasping versus holding of utensils, licking fingers or shoving food onto forks with the thumb, picking noses and generally being oblivious of themselves while at the alter of the almighty food gods. Take that sampling of poor upbringing and tell them all that they will do possibly two years behind bars for being repulsive in public. Is it China that gives citations for spitting in public?

That's what Grayling proposes to do to people who speak their minds on the internet. He may think he's only targeting people who would be at home committing internet acts of terror but the reality is people would take it much further than that. Personal injury-leaching lawyers in particular always need to create new victims. From there it's all uphill for the future of the internet.

Archived