Tell us about the guitar you wish you had or ...

EdBega

• Members

I'd like to own a Breedlove someday. Doesn't matter whether it's one of their off-the-wall models or a more traditional one like the Revival series. Something about them appeals to me. I'd also like to own another slothead someday. I just think they're cool. Maybe a slothead Breedlove dread as long as we're indulging our imaginations.

• Members

Back in the 70's when I was just starting on guitar my neighbor would hand me an old Martin D-18 and ask me to play something . Then he would show me a few things to work on. I never considered it lessons ,it was very informal. more like two friends having fun But that was the best guitar i ever played . I'm not sure of the exact year it was built 1948 would be a pretty good guess.

• Members
Back in the 70's when I was just starting on guitar my neighbor would hand me an old Martin D-18 and ask me to play something . . . that was the best guitar i ever played . I'm not sure of the exact year it was built 1948 would be a pretty good guess.

A 1940's D18 would be a guitar lots of folks would pine for. You got good taste.

• Members

For years I desired a J-45 True Vintage, and/or a Clapton 000-28. I shop hard, played about a dozen outstanding ones but I just can't pull the trigger because........

I love my Gibson WM-45 in so many ways that its hard to justify paying more for little to no gain in playability or tones. I took a leap of faith on it when it hung in a guitar store for 2 years unloved because it had a weird grain pattern on the neck by the headstock that looked, only looked, like a repaired break in the mahogany. It had corroded strings and a small barely noticeable finish scratch on the top. I bought it "new old stock" for half retail and never looked back.

Dozens of acoustics later it still the one. I can't fathom not playing it every day. Terrific guitar except..........

My 16 year old son, a drummer already in a decent band, started playing acoustic guitar. After going through a houseful of cheaper acoustics, he settles of course on my WM. And he plays it well, progressing and exceeding my pathetic skills. He doesn't want another guitar, plays out with it now (adding heatbreaking dings and scratches) and is treating it like his own. I'm THRILLED that he's fallen in love with acoustic guitar and am reluctant to make an issue of his takeover of MY guitar. I'm back on the web looking at Martin Claptons and Gibby TV;s again; while I listen to the WM's sweetness from the other side of the soundhole.

• Members

My Binh Guitars.

All of them.

The Slothead OM35/45 is a dream to play. Unfortunately she's built right on the edge. The wood is so light and thin that I fear for her. I've ran her slightly against a table and I've cracked a side. Thank God for Neodymium magnets. The repair was quite manageable thanks to those strong magnets, Amazingly, even though she's fragile, she handles the string pull nicely. No warping. I guess that's the best guitar Binh had built so far. But being light, she's responsive. And she has huge dynamics. Touch her oh so gently and she whispers like elves, give her a firmer hand and she sings like angels and if you really dig into her, she's got a bark.

Obviously, she's a head turning beauty, too.

If I would have to have only one guitar, she would be the one.

But thank God, I can have more than one and so I enjoy the authoritative Koa Jumbo, the Banjo-eating, Fiddle-munching blone Dread and all the others Binh had built for me, too.

I still lust for two more of Binh's.... He introduced chamfered tops, now and I would like to have a matching pair of a 6 and a 12 string, chamfered Adi top and Rosewood back&sides....

And my trusty D35, of course....

• Members

It took a couple years but I got it down to one and moved the others along to new homes. That said, I still enjoy going out to GC and playing what they have to offer. I'm on a lifetime search for a decent sounding guitar of a particular make and model, based on its history of making people happy, and have yet to find it. So, it keeps me window shopping.

• Members
The guitar I wish I had is a 12 fret 000 body with a wide neck, pretty much like the one I already have except it sounds a whole lot better.

I too have a 12 fret 000 with a wide neck - my latest acquisition - my lovely Recording King ROS-16. And it sounds great. I've since played it's big brother - the all-solid ROS-626 but could discern no appreciable difference. There you go.

Anyway I have enough guitars and, although none of them are "top end", that fact does not worry me at all - I bought them because I liked them and still do.

• Members

I've owned a few guitars that in retrospect were better than I realized they were. I owned a late sixties or early seventies Gibson Hummingbird that was a tremendous guitar. Beautiful instrument. Even now, I wonder occasionally where it is and if it is still alive.

When I was a kid, my Sunday School teacher owned an old Gibson J-45 that was a remarkable instrument. I was allowed to play it from time to time and was always taken by, not only the quality of its voice, but by how easy it was to play. In retrospect, I now realize that it had very light gauge strings on it, probably 11's. Not being smart enough to realize the difference, it played much easier that my old Silvertone with Black Diamonds (rusty ones at that, LOL). Still yet, I would like to have that guitar. It had a certain sparkle that no other guitar at that time seemed to have.

• Members

Way back about 8 years ago when the IKFC caper went down and I was surprised to receive my Larrivee OM-03R I discovered that Tim and Mary McKnight (who contributed to the caper) had offered one of their guitars. IIRC Hudman was running things and he declined, both of which I am grateful for. I'd played that particular guitar and was smitten and had never played a McKnight at that point.

Well, the following year idunno and I met up with Tim and Mary down at former HCAG moderator LittleBrother's annual jam down in Georgia. Not only did I finally get to play a couple of McKnight guitars but I struck up a friendship with them that continues to this day. Since that time I've been to their home/workshop every June and have played a LOT of McKnight guitars. Not only do they build custom orders but they also have a number of "demo" guitars. I've played their dreadnought, 0's, 00's, 000's, OM's, mini jumbos, another smaller size guitar they call "Skeeter" that's 00-sized but a little rounder and most recently a grand auditorium body style they call their Soli Deo Gloria.

Several of their demo guitars have been hard to put down. I've played mini jumbos with Brazilian rosewood back & sides. I've played a LOT of OM's with back & sides made of cocobolo, Madagascar rosewood, east Indian rosewood and Cuban mahogany with soundboards made with redwood, sitka spruce that was harvested and stored since 1959, lutz and western red cedar, (respectively to the listing of back & side woods I mentioned previously.) I've played dreadnoughts in east Indian rosewood/sitka, granadillo/sitka, Honduran mahogany and curly mahogany with Adirondack spruce tops. The OM with Madagascar rosewood and '59 sitka sounded like a grand piano and had an eagle inlaid on the headstock. It had a 1-7/8" nut though and it followed somebody with bigger hands than mine home. An OM that they called "the cigar" (wenge back & sides and a cedar/lutz double top) had the most soothing voice to me but it followed another sensitive soul home. Finally, I got to spend a lot of time with an OM with Cuban mahogany and a western red cedar soundboard and even did a few recording sessions with but one June it was claimed by a gentleman from West Virginia who pulled the trigger while his wife napped in the parlor. It was a double coup.

In addition to playing the finished product I've also visited their wood locker, which is actually the fully climate controlled portion of their workshop. For those who don't know, the aroma of the raw woods when stored in an enclosed space with a properly managed temperature and humidity is intoxicating. Imagine walking into a humidor of a cigar shop. The air itself is "just right" and you get the full force of each wood's unique bouquet. Yeah, that's right - I said "bouquet." It's BETTER than that though. You get a little idea of that when you sniff inside a guitar's soundhole.

ALMOST.

I've also watched others's build come to form for those both near to me and through pictoral threads on AGF. I've even watched Tim work up close in his workshop and even relied upon him for advice and to fix my mistakes when I tried my own hand at lutherie. Seeing a guitar come together adds another dimension that can't be matched in an "off the rack" guitar - even if you don't know what to expect. To that I must add that I've been there when another person has taken delivery of a newly completed guitar and have had the opportunity to witness firsthand how a newborn guitar's voice can change drastically during its first session as a musical instrument. It's amazing how ORGANIC these wooden things can be, huh?

Anyway, as with the IKFC caper I've actually had a couple more opportunities to own a McKnight guitar. During a raffle at their own annual jam one year I won a coupon for 1/2 off a McKnight guitar. I opted to give it to somebody else for a variety of reasons but Tim and Mary insisted that it would still apply should I so choose. It was torturous but I had to refuse. I still couldn't afford it and my domestic situation is such that I would not be able to bring it out without fear of it being damaged by one of my children; my former music room is now occupied by my younger son and my guitars live in their cases in the corner of the living room.

Ironically, I eventually came to own a McKnight instrument - the second of three ukes that Tim has made so far. It's easily the most valued instrument I own beyond my Larrivee and I'm watch my youngest CLOSELY when he asks to play it.

Even after all that, I still have hope that one day I'll have a McKnight guitar. Since I've been like a kid in a candy store though I have no idea what that dream guitar actually would be. I really like the grand auditorium model of theirs. I also really liked wenge as a tonewood. Decoratively, I'd like to have interlocking puzzle pieces inlaid somewhere in reference to my older son who has autism and sat by my side when the Larrivee came that day almost 9 years ago now.

For the rest, I'd leave it up to Tim and Mary to decide. Just having him build it for me would sort of be a gift unto itself. They've been really good friends to me these past 8 years.

Of course, there's still the issues of money, space and opportunity to play it. Most likely I'd play it in church, which is sort of appropriate since we're all religious people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm one of the lucky few to actually own the guitars I love, with one exception.......a 12 string....currently I have one in the shop, but its a giger only.....Have owned a few Guilds and would consider another, but it would have to talk to me, you know, in that special way....one day I'll find it.

Back in the 70's when I was just starting on guitar my neighbor would hand me an old Martin D-18 and ask me to play something . Then he would show me a few things to work on. I never considered it lessons ,it was very informal. more like two friends having fun But that was the best guitar i ever played . I'm not sure of the exact year it was built 1948 would be a pretty good guess.

My father-in-law's D-18 is a '55, and it's a blast to play. It has a really comfortable neck on it.

• Members
In 1980, I was in a small music shop in cowboy country. There was a Gibson double neck for $300. At $3.35hr I would have had to work forever. Where do you buy 12 strings for an electric anyway?

Good question. I had a Rickenbacker 330-12 for a very short while and just made up my own set for the one string change I put on it.

• Members
In 1980, I was in a small music shop in cowboy country. There was a Gibson double neck for $300. At $3.35hr I would have had to work forever. Where do you buy 12 strings for an electric anyway?

Guitar Center's web site shows 5 different sets, from d'Addario, Ernie Ball, and GHS. You can order them online and choose the "Pickup In Store" option. Prices range $8-12 for a set + tax. Or a well-stocked mom and pop might have them.

Archived