It was actually ME that killed the forum!

RGfretter

• Members

"It was actually me who killed the forum!" You are a person, not a thing. That's okay, no need to thank me. I'm a grammatical philanthropist ensuring people stay people and things stay things. It's my calling, after playing guitar, because I feel the need to give back after all these years of taking (it).

• Members
"It was actually me who killed the forum!" You are a person' date=' not a thing. . . .[/quote']

Close. It's "It was actually I who killed the forum!" "Me" is incorrect. You wouldn't say "Me killed the forum!" you'd say "I killed the forum!" (Actually, some people probably would say "Me killed . . ." but that's beside the point.)

• Members

Remember Julius Caesar? Who actually killed him? Brutus stabbed him. But did that kill the great man?Other senators charged the floor, stabbing and stomping him too. Which of their blows did the dirty deed?

Yes killing the forum was a dirty deed. It was a dirty deed indeed.

But I am suspicious of all these people confessing. I think a thorough, unbiased investigation is necessary to nab the varmint who killed the forum.

• Members
Here's what REALLY killed the forum:

1. Totally inept management.

2. Totally inept software programmers.

3.. Impatient, immature, overemotional forum members.

I think any examination of the record (if it all hadn't disappeared) would refute the first two pejoratives in number three. The third is maybe a closer call. I know I loved the place that this was. But I definitely agree with you on the first two and their order of importance.

• Members
"It was actually me who killed the forum!" You are a person' date=' not a thing. That's okay, no need to thank me. I'm a grammatical philanthropist ensuring people stay people and things stay things. It's my calling, after playing guitar, because I feel the need to give back after all these years of taking (it).[/quote']

Tsk, tsk, Idunno.

No one loves a grammar cop who busts someone on an online forum, but if you're going to do it, get it right. A good word snoot would say "It was actually I...."

Glad I'm not one!

=O]

Del

http://www.thefullertons.net

( •)—:::

• Members

Tsk, tsk, Idunno.

No one loves a grammar cop who busts someone on an online forum, but if you're going to do it, get it right. A good word snoot would say "It was actually I...."

Glad I'm not one! . . .

That must mean I am because I already pointed out the error.

• Members

That must mean I am because I already pointed out the error.

Wayda sec. Lemme see yer badge.

Maybe you can tell me about the dead forum. And the dead Caesar at the forum. And what are you authorities doing about that dead horse? It doesn't seem to be in very good forum either.

And it's definitely good forum to bust a grammar cop for bad grammar. It makes you a grammar Serpico. You done good.

Del

www.thefullertons.net

• Members

Wayda sec. Lemme see yer badge. . . .

. . . And it's definitely good forum to bust a grammar cop for bad grammar. It makes you a grammar Serpico. You done good.

I don't need a badge, I'm not a grammar cop and I never claimed to be one. The original reference was to a "word snoot":

. . . No one loves a grammar cop who busts someone on an online forum, but if you're going to do it, get it right. A good word snoot would say "It was actually I...."

I pointed out that I had already mentioned the error and that therefore I must be a "word snoot."

We don't need no stinking grammar cops!

That's "We don't need any stinking grammar cops!" You're welcome.

• Members

And someone killed a horse, too?

=O[

Del

www.thefullertons.net

( •)—:::

This is growing more serious. Now you say someone has killed a horse? Whoever killed the forum and killed that horse will strike again.

He or she gets a thrill from it. This calls for a real investigation by a real investigator. But where is the post-mortem? Are we certain the forum is dead? Are we certain that horse is dead?

---

"Come, Watson, come!" he cried. "The game is afoot."

(Sherlock Holmes, "The Abbey Grange")

Or did they whack Holmes and Watson too? If so, let's bring in Scully and Mulder. It may be an X-File.

• Members

That's "any stinking horse!" That said, I don't think anyone actually killed the horse; someone--perhaps more than one person--just gave it a good beating. It may recover.

Well GC I wasn't using a double negative this particular horse didn't have a smell and I was merely using "no stinking" is an adjective to describe it ...

• Members

(Apologies to the author of "Cock Robin)

Who killed the forum?

I, because there was no quorum,

with much blood and gore...um,

I killed the forum.

Who saw it die?

I, said the Fly,

with my little eye,

I saw it die.

Who caught its blood?

I, said the Fish,

with my little dish,

I caught its blood.

Who'll make the shroud?

I, said the Beetle,

with my thread and needle,

I'll make the shroud.

Who'll dig its grave?

I, said the Owl, with my little trowel,

I'll dig its grave.

Who'll be the parson?

I, said the Rook,

with my little book,

I'll be the parson.

Who'll be the clerk?

I, said the Lark,

if it's not in the dark,

Ill be the clerk.

Who'll carry the link?

I, said the Linnet,

I'll fetch it in a minute,

I'll carry the link.

Who'll be chief mourner?

I, said the Dove,

I mourn for my love,

I'll be chief mourner.

Who'll carry the coffin?

I, said the Kite,

if it's not through the night,

I'll carry the coffin.

Who'll bear the pall?

We, said the Wren,

both the cock and the hen,

We'll bear the pall.

Who'll sing a psalm?

I, said the Thrush,

as she sat on a bush,

I'll sing a psalm.

Who'll toll the bell?

I said the Bull,

because I can pull,

I'll toll the bell.

All the snoozers from respect,

Ceased with all their snorin'

when they heard the bell tolling

for the HCAG forum.

• Members

Well then, even the grammar ploy can't shake the unflappable so it looks like my best shots are all for naught, nought, not, knot. I might try the really nice guy approach and see what that does. I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday night and a fun-filled weekend.

Archived