OM 45

Freeman Keller

• Members

A friend called the other day and said he was going on a business trip to California, would I like to baby sit his OM 45 while he was gone. Ouch, stop twisting my arm so hard....

In my opinion Martins OM is their very best size. It was created in the 1930's at the request of a banjo player named Perry Bechtel who wanted a long scale guitar with access to 14 frets. Martin named it the "Orchestra Model", or OM for short. They have become the fingerstyle players choice - with a wide fretboard, long scale, smaller body that sits nicely on the lap and well balanced tone. Martin also makes a 14 fret version of the 000, which usually has a short scale, and of course their 00, 000 and other small bodied guitars in 12 fret versions.

I've played a few different OM's and always thought that if I could only have one factory made guitar it would be an OM 28 or maybe that wonderful little OM 21, which lots of people feel is one of Martin's better bang for the buck guitars. But I hadn't played any of the top of the line ones.

If you follow Martin nomenclature the number part of the model is the level of the guitar - basically what it is made out of. xx18 are spruce over mahogany, xx28 is the basic spruce over rosewood, xx35 are the three piece rosewood backs, and when you get up to 41, 42 and 45 you get increasingly higher levels of pearl inlay. The 45's are the top of the standard production series, there are also 50 and 100 models but they almost never appear. xx45 have a fancy pearl CFMartin headstock inlay, pearl rosette and purfling, and pearl around the bound neck extension. I once read somewhere that it takes as long to do the inlay on a 45 as it does to build the guitar.

It looks a bit like this

IMG_1958_zpsa38c577e.jpg

So, how does it sound and play? Well, in a word, magnificently. This guitar was set up perfectly for my clumsy fingerpicking style (with one little quirk that I will mention in a minute). The sound is absolutely lush - balanced across the strings and up the neck. I felt guilty playing my usual bluesy stuff on such a pretty guitar, but it seemed to handle it perfectly. I was also terrified that I was going to hurt it - there isn't a scratch on the guitar and I sure didn't want to put the first one on it.

The quirk was that the nut, probably FWI, was offset. The high E was only 0.070 from the edge of the fretboard, the low E was 0.155. Martin's specs are somewhere in the 0.090 to 0.100 range. The nut itself was perfectly centered but the strings were not. It was certainly playable - I never pulled the high E off the fret ends or had any trouble with the low E (I'm a sloppy thumb fretter). It would be interesting to know if the previous owner had done this on purpose or if it was the original factory nut.

Like all good fairy tales, this came to an end tonight when my friend stopped to take his baby home. Oh well, it was wonderful while it lasted.

• Members

before i bought my recording king last year around this time, i was looking who is playing what cause i was not sure, jumbo or dread etc.

i saw pictures of neil youngs D45 and my eyes made blink blink blink, did some research cause i did not know which model it was, visited martin's homepage etc.

i like a lot inlays if they are placed with good taste, that's one reason why i have a les paul custom instead any other les paul. yes call me aesthetic snob or what ever.

i like it if a guitar does also look pretty beside being a great player and having a great tone....

but i guess i never will spent $5k to $6k or more for a guitar. its not that i couldn't afford it, its just imho too much money for a guitar.

i also like the look of a ferrari or a ford gt40 or a '57 corvette, but its just too much money for a car

PS: i definitely cannot afford a ferrari or a gt40 or a corvette :)

• Members

I have yet to play a 4x level Martin. Out of my price range, as well. I wouldn't mind a 12 fretter, but the spruce/EIR models are still out of my range. I am not really willing to pay for bling, no matter how tastefully it is done.

• Members
before i bought my recording king last year around this time, i was looking who is playing what cause i was not sure, jumbo or dread etc.

i saw pictures of neil youngs D45 and my eyes made blink blink blink, did some research cause i did not know which model it was, visited martin's homepage etc.

i like a lot inlays if they are placed with good taste, that's one reason why i have a les paul custom instead any other les paul. yes call me aesthetic snob or what ever.

i like it if a guitar does also look pretty beside being a great player and having a great tone....

but i guess i never will spent $5k to $6k or more for a guitar. its not that i couldn't afford it, its just imho too much money for a guitar.

i also like the look of a ferrari or a ford gt40 or a '57 corvette, but its just too much money for a car

PS: i definitely cannot afford a ferrari or a gt40 or a corvette :)

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=308

• Members

When I was a lot younger, say in my late teens or early twenties, I thought fancy guitars like D45s and Hummingbirds looked cool. A shop in my home town had an Alvarez Dove copy that I drooled over.and couple of Epiphones with big block inlays. At the time, I thought they were the bee's knees. A friend also had a Yairi that was a copy of a D41 and I loved it too. These days, my tastes are more subdued. Still, that's one sweet guitar and I'm sure you'll treat her right. As far as actual Martins, the highest up the food chain I've ever played was a D35.

• Members

wow, how are they? someone played something like this? do they also make lefties?

still $1150 list price is the double what i payed for my recording king

Don't know was interested in purchase this from them. http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=305

This was an email I received:

We are still the US distributor. The situation has unfolded to require AMI and Golden Ark Trading to change the name of these guitars for the US market due to prior trademark agreements.

The guitars, which are the same instruments built to the highest quality standards, will be known as "Kindred Guitars".

We are establishing this brand for the US market and expect to launch in January at the Namm trade show in Anaheim. We hope if you are attending that you will stop by our booth and check out the many models and choices available.

We are establishing the Kindred Guitars Web site and you will begin to see major print and web marketing beginning in December. Watch for our ads in Acoustic Guitar, Music Trades and Guitar Player in the near future.

If you have any questions, please let us know..

Thanks for your interest!

Best Regards,

Chris & Ed

And later from ( I believe to be) the new owner.

Chris forwarded me your inquiry about the kindred 000m-15s.

we do have them available and they are priced at $530 plus $25 shipping

If you are interested I can send a few photos of the actual guitar you will be receiving

Thank you for your inquiry

Dave shoudt

908 892 5551

Dave didn't have a website at the time and I haven't heard back from him so not sure if there are legal issues here in the US but seems like Ed Golden may no longer be the owner or may be not as involved...

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion, but I haven't been all that impressed with the new Sigmas I've tried. Besides, I a) have a RK ROS-16 as my beater (not bad for the money!) and b) even if I did buy one of those Sigmas, I'd still want the real deal.

Good to know I have the ROS-06 which is also decent for the money $150 new when I bought it, I think they are $300 now but it's not a beater to me though it is not as rich sounding as I would like maybe due to the body size. It would be hard to buy without playing even at the Sigma/Kindred price for me regardless.

• Members

The ROS-16 is a 12 fretter, and quite pretty. It needed a good fret-dressing, but its tone is surprisingly full. It doesn't have a lot of overtones, though. First time I ever played a V neck (that I am aware of) and it didn't bother me at all. It has made me GAS for the Martin upon which it is based, though. €3,000+ is out of my range at the moment.

• Members

10 grand? The last Martin Sitka/Rosewood 12 fretter that I saw was in the €2,800 range. The 45 is 10 large? WAAAYYYY Too rich for my blood. But, yes, it begs the question. Comparing it to a Sigma or a RK is silly. Comparing it to the (I think) Martin 00-VS isn't quite so silly, at least if your criteria are playability and sound.

• Members

back in the late 80's I was looking for a nice acoustic.

I test drove quite a few and ended up with a Martin MC 28. They look like this.

10U-4102_front.jpg

They are a bit weird, but mine sounds amazing.

20 years later it needed a neck reset and bridge. Chris Martin authorized the work. I was so happy with this guitar and knowing that Chris stands behind his work on warranty work, I turned around bought 2 more Martins. :D

I had the MC 28 refretted a few years ago and it even sounds better.

• Members
back in the late 80's I was looking for a nice acoustic.

I test drove quite a few and ended up with a Martin MC 28. . . .

. . . They are a bit weird, but mine sounds amazing. . . .

Interesting. I've never seen one of those. I did a web search for more pics and I notice that some specimens have the oval soundhole and some don't. Do you know anything about that?

• Members
They're based on the J-40 size and shape but a bit less deep in the body and with the cutaway.

Cool but if that's directed at me, what does that have to do with the shape of the soundhole? My question was why some specimens have the oval soundhole and others have a standard round one.

• Members

Freeman - that would be a guitar I would love to play. since the day i started playing guitar ( age 15 or 16 ) I believed

The D-45 to be the star to reach as far as guitars are concerned - id say today , being more of a fingerstyle guitarist

the OM-45 in Brazilian rosewood would be a pinnacle guitar to own . No I dont play the lottery , but I do consider myself lucky to own

several BR guitars of age and a 2011 Mike Franks BR legacy Dread .

I have a OM28v which in its own rights is a sensational guitar -

• Members
Freeman - that would be a guitar I would love to play. since the day i started playing guitar ( age 15 or 16 ) I believed

The D-45 to be the star to reach as far as guitars are concerned - id say today , being more of a fingerstyle guitarist

the OM-45 in Brazilian rosewood would be a pinnacle guitar to own . No I dont play the lottery , but I do consider myself lucky to own

several BR guitars of age and a 2011 Mike Franks BR legacy Dread .

I have a OM28v which in its own rights is a sensational guitar -

Tony, is that you? Welcome if so, but if not welcome anyway.

Frankly I was a bit uncomfortable playing around with a guitar that costs more than many people's car. It was absolutely lovely and pretty much flawless - some day some one is going to put a big scratch in it and I didn't want it to be me (I remember dropping the lid of my D18 case and putting a big ding in its top). It did sound wonderful - full and lush, but I get that out of my personal little 000 and frankly, all of that bling really doesn't appeal to me that much either. I've done the style 41 inlay a couple of times (everything except the fretboard extension) so I know I can do it, but once again, it just isn't my style.

I was honored and flattered to be able to play if for a week - kind of like someone handing you the keys to their Ferrari or their super model wife - but I was also pretty relieved to give it back.

• Members

Tony, is that you? Welcome if so, but if not welcome anyway.

Frankly I was a bit uncomfortable playing around with a guitar that costs more than many people's car. It was absolutely lovely and pretty much flawless - some day some one is going to put a big scratch in it and I didn't want it to be me (I remember dropping the lid of my D18 case and putting a big ding in its top). It did sound wonderful - full and lush, but I get that out of my personal little 000 and frankly, all of that bling really doesn't appeal to me that much either. I've done the style 41 inlay a couple of times (everything except the fretboard extension) so I know I can do it, but once again, it just isn't my style.

I was honored and flattered to be able to play if for a week - kind of like someone handing you the keys to their Ferrari or their super model wife - but I was also pretty relieved to give it back.[/quote

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Freeman, it is me - been a while - was hanging out at the AGF a bit ( thou it feels like im and old geezer their )

my guess is ill never have a pre way D-45 or OM-45 , but i own a wonderful Mike Franks Brazilian Legacy dread ( my picture over my name )

thats about as close as ill ever get -so as the old saying goes -" you dont always get what you want , but you get what you need "

By the way i enjoyed your post on the repair work post = i fixed an old gibson like you did the yammie - but i used super glue about 30 years ago - and its still holding -- so my guess is your Yammie repair ( being done better than mine ) will be around a while !

Tony

Archived