Help me identify this dobro..

WFL

• Members

So, I picked this up a couple years ago on a whim. Found it at a pawn shop and paid $300 for it - money well spent, because the tone is fantastic - but am looking to sell it now..

..The problem is, finding out what it's actually worth is proving to be difficult, as I can't find another like it easily.

Note: Not looking to sell it on here (for one, I refuse to ship). Just trying to find out what I have so I can price it accordingly!

See the pictures!

cd9b0c7936aad84ced57385e7369612e.thumb.jpg.34dd66606fe10d2393a16a2ab85d6e28.jpg

ee1e638b4eea597c4281bd0a34a0a3c8.thumb.jpg.b9dd72d769f469c8b6478e4bada7d4f6.jpg

817f01593e9511b614da780563425f54.thumb.jpg.f039442113d568a6d260682f168c19f4.jpg

• Members

That guitar is called a Gibson Hound Dog. They are not that old and they are no longer made as a USA Gibson, I'm not sure Gibson makes any Dobros right now. They sold new for about $399.00. They cool thing is someone sprung another 80 bucks for the hard shell case.

I also believe its a Ephiphone re-badge.

Gibson some time in the early 90's bought OMI ( Original Musical Instruments Company). OMI was in California and made both wood body and metal body instruments. They were part of the Dopyera Bothers.

Not long after that Gibson move the whole kit and kaboodle from CA to Nashville. I don't believe they ever made any metal body resonators in Nashville, they just made wood body resonators. The Hound Dog was kind of a stripped down F60, minus the maple wood.

Here's and F60

http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/7-22-10/Gibson_Dobro_F-60_Burst_D1072530_1.jpg

Your Hound Dog should have a spider cone and has the larger 10-1/2 " cone. Sure looks like it. Now if it sounds good to you, that's totally awesome . The cone may have already been replaced with a Quaterman or Beard, and that would be another 50-60 bucks to your advantage.

I own a Dobro 33H and a F60.

As much as I love my Gibson acoustics and electrics, the company is kind of f!@ked. They no longer make amps either, and they did make some good ones too. They do however make about 90 different versions of the Les Paul.

If you ever have the chance and the coin these days to play a metal body, Go with a National. There necks area bit on the chunky side though.

Enjoy

Don't think this one is gonna be a big money maker for ya.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdobro.TRS0&_nkw=dobro&_sacat=619

• Members

Thanks! I had figured it might be a Hound Dog, but given I couldn't find the exact guitar, I had wondered. I certainly didn't expect to have a real money maker, but if I can manage to get about $300 out of it (or trade for a midi keyboard), I'll be happy.

I'm a huge National fan (older Nationals, honestly), but odds are if I end up getting another reso it'll be an Amistar. I currently have a Republic Duolian that's my go-to live reso; Frank (the owner of Republic) was really cool, and set me up with a performer's discount, so I didn't pay a whole crap-ton.

A new reso isn't going to be in the cards for at least a year, though; I recently did a "lets take 5 days off from work and record a new album", and then became disgusted with myself for rushing it.. So, I'm taking a year break from my blues work to get back into jazz. Build my chops up a bit more and let my mind wander, so I can come back fresh to the blues :)

• Members
Thanks! I had figured it might be a Hound Dog, but given I couldn't find the exact guitar, I had wondered. I certainly didn't expect to have a real money maker, but if I can manage to get about $300 out of it (or trade for a midi keyboard), I'll be happy.

I'm a huge National fan (older Nationals, honestly), but odds are if I end up getting another reso it'll be an Amistar. I currently have a Republic Duolian that's my go-to live reso; Frank (the owner of Republic) was really cool, and set me up with a performer's discount, so I didn't pay a whole crap-ton.

A new reso isn't going to be in the cards for at least a year, though; I recently did a "lets take 5 days off from work and record a new album", and then became disgusted with myself for rushing it.. So, I'm taking a year break from my blues work to get back into jazz. Build my chops up a bit more and let my mind wander, so I can come back fresh to the blues :)

I do believe it's a Hound Dog.

I hear ya about taking a few days off for recording. I have done the same thing myself and ended up with crap, or just haven't been in the right state of mind for it to be happening.

I'm a bit behind the 8 ball in recording myself. There's always something that comes up that sets me back.

I read this funny story once, about recording at home. When you go out to LA, Nashville, NYC or else where you go there to make a record. When you record at home, you go to work. There's a lot of truth to that.

I slowly tend to work songs in groups of 3's and hope for the best. After listening and re-listening, I always feel I need to go back and work out something. When you're making stuff at your house you need to think, beyond the part and think of how you want the final song to sound. This isn't always that easy to do either. Sometimes you end up with a pleasant surprise and sometimes not. I tend to start all my songs with just me and my acoustic guitar, then add other stuff to taste and to create a vibe. I figure if it sounds good stripped down, the least I'll have in the end is an original song I can't take to a song circle.

I'm not a jazz player, nor a blues play, just what I call a folkie electric player. I'll play different instruments like the mandolin, to get out of that guitar players rut.

• Members

I do believe it's a Hound Dog.

I hear ya about taking a few days off for recording. I have done the same thing myself and ended up with crap, or just haven't been in the right state of mind for it to be happening.

I'm a bit behind the 8 ball in recording myself. There's always something that comes up that sets me back.

I read this funny story once, about recording at home. When you go out to LA, Nashville, NYC or else where you go there to make a record. When you record at home, you go to work. There's a lot of truth to that.

I slowly tend to work songs in groups of 3's and hope for the best. After listening and re-listening, I always feel I need to go back and work out something. When you're making stuff at your house you need to think, beyond the part and think of how you want the final song to sound. This isn't always that easy to do either. Sometimes you end up with a pleasant surprise and sometimes not. I tend to start all my songs with just me and my acoustic guitar, then add other stuff to taste and to create a vibe. I figure if it sounds good stripped down, the least I'll have in the end is an original song I can't take to a song circle.

I'm not a jazz player, nor a blues play, just what I call a folkie electric player. I'll play different instruments like the mandolin, to get out of that guitar players rut.

In order to get a consistent sound, I recorded each instrument for every song before I moved onto the next; electric guitar, then resonator, then vocals, then harmonica, and finally, bass & percussion. My mistake was not playing to a metronome, and going by "feel"; while it was quicker to get the first 2 instruments down, as I laid down subsequent tracks, I would miss entrances. Tried to do everything in one take.

Next time, I'll be laying out the time signature/tempo changes and playing to a metronome FIRST.. And not trying to record everything in one take. *sigh* I just wanted this album to be done. I've been saying I'd record it for 5 years, but I kept putting it off.

I think I have one good usable track on it. The rest just doesn't sit within my mind.

I'd much rather hit a studio and go that route, but I've already invested so much in my home studio, and there aren't any good studios in my area.... Plus, as a blues player who sings a little like Muddy Waters and blends some jazz structures into the music, I don't exactly make a huge amount of money living in a medium sized town who would rather listen to a bar band than an original artist :)

Archived