Acoustic Guitar learning

garywilson456

• Members

A couple of things. First, I know you want to play your guitar every waking moment but don't. Give your fingers a chance to rest. Second, take your guitar to a shop and have it "set up." This will make it easier to play. Keep playing, have fun, and good luck.

• Members

Learn to distinguish between a good musician and a worse one. If you are about as good as your favorite musician after playing guitar for a couple weeks, try following a more skilled musician.

Study the physical instrument itself. Learn the names and functions of the guitar parts, and how they work together to make sounds. Learn how sound is emitted from the guitar, and how tension affects the strings. A half hour spent on this basic understanding will be repaid many times over throughout your learning and playing time.

Teach yourself as many different ways to play a chord as you can. For instance, there are 10 different fret hand positions for which to play the C chord. Obviously, go for a 'perfect' open C chord first, but the more ways you know to play a chord, the more flexibility you'll have in moving from one chord to another. This can also come in handy if you decide to try composing new music.

• Members
. . . Teach yourself as many different ways to play a chord as you can. For instance, there are 10 different fret hand positions for which to play the C chord. Obviously, go for a 'perfect' open C chord first, but the more ways you know to play a chord, the more flexibility you'll have in moving from one chord to another. This can also come in handy if you decide to try composing new music.

A bit daunting for someone who's only been playing for a month wouldn't you say? Learn one basic way to play each chord, a way you can play fairly easily. It will take time to make clear sounding chords but you'll be able to do it with practice. Of course, none of this has anything to do with having sore fingers. Do learn to read the post you're replying to and answer the question that was asked.

• Members

We all experience it during the first month, but if you still have finger pain after a month then something's obviously wrong. Certain strings come in different gauges or diameters. Light gauge strings are easier to play than medium or heavy gauge strings, and they'll cause less finger soreness. Press the strings down only as much as you have to. Beginners have a tendency to press down on the strings too hard. Relax your fingers, and press down just hard enough to make sure the string firmly contacts the fret. To see if you're pressing too hard, fret a chord or string as you normally would, and then release the pressure just a little bit.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Hello,

Everyone I also read some where that "You can reduce the early finger pain by dipping your finger tips in alcohol before playing" is that true or just a myth.

best acoustic guitars

Actually, I find that dipping my tonsils in alcohol, maybe some good single malt, reduces the pain of my playing. Not for my listeners, however.

What you really want to do is just play enough to build up the callouses on your finger tips - alcohol won't help and will only dry out your skin. After playing it might be a good idea to rub a tiny bit of lotion on your hands but keep it off the guitar.

Also, if you are actually playing a Zager your guitar has about the lowest action and softest strings that you can get on an acoustic. That does mean that it is relatively "easy" to play now, but you will not build the callouses and finger strength as fast. I see from you other posts that you have asked a question at the Electric forum about which strings you should put on your acoustic/electric - you should use the gauge of acoustic strings that it was made and set up for - Denny will be happy to sell you what he recommends.

• Members
Hello,

Everyone I also read some where that "You can reduce the early finger pain by dipping your finger tips in alcohol before playing" is that true or just a myth.

best acoustic guitars

I occasionally will use alcohol for medicinal purposes but check the post right above yours first unless your talking about the fingertips being sore if so then buck up.

• Members
Hello,

I am learning guitar approximate 1 month and I want to know that when my finger pain will gown because I am frustrated from my finger pain

:rawk:

Aide from all the other advice, your finger pain will go away. If you ain't having fun playing through it, buy a flute.

• Members

I put in six hours Sunday and my whole hand hurts! YMMV.

I do hope ice is your friend, and warm water and stretching beforehand is as well.

I hope no one underestimates the benefits of stretching and hot/cold on the hands.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I used to get a high pitched whining noise in my ears when I'd practice for an hour or more. When I stopped practicing that long my wife and kids stopped making that sound. Seriously, I think that with any exercise you have to moderate. Don't do marathon sessions like that. Play for an hour at most at a time and give your hands opportunity to rest. You should also stretch beforehand - and I don't mean just cracking your knuckles. I don't buy into soaking fingers but certainly you should moisturize regularly - just not before you play because that stuff's not good for your strings.

• Members

I'm with James on this one, play as long as you like. It ain't a job. If you feel an hour, play an hour, if you feel like 15 minutes, do 15. At your stage, any playing is good. When you hit those "aha!" moments where you just learned something, playing tends to take on more time, because you want to. It's playing, we all like to play, we've done it since childhood. When it isn't play anymore, stop.

Now STFUNB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
I'm struggling to believe you're legit. You sound very familiar and the link in your sig is fishy.

Just in case you're not a troll I recommend getting a lesson from a pro to figure the problem out. Technique and/or the setup of your guitar is my guess.

I'm glad someone else said something about it so I don't have to take the heat for running another noob off. :facepalm:

• Members
if u cant take the heat then get out the kitchen noober, aint got time for sissy wimpy hands around here

I'm struggling to believe you're legit.

I'm glad someone else said something about it so I don't have to take the heat for running another noob off.

You've got to admire his persistence though. :freak:

Archived