inexpensive Yamaha or Martin

reichorn

• Members

I'm new at learning guitar and have a choice to buy a second cutaway guitar. I can buy either a used Martin Custom X series for $350 or a new Yamaha FGX700SC for $300. The Martin has a solid top but some kind of composite laminate sides and back. It is similar to a Martin 000X1AE I own. The Yamaha has a solid top and Nato back and sides. Both have built in electronics. Is The Martin worth the extra $50?

• Members

The back and sides on the Yamaha are also laminate. In answer to your question "no", the martin is not worth the extra money. As a matter of fact the Yamaha is probably a better guitar. I was never a fan of the Martin X series ... your buying a name. The Yamaha on the other hand is the ruler of quality low cost guitars.

• Members

The Yamaha is new with a warranty. That ought to count for something. Beyond that, "cheap Martin" is kind of a contradiction. IMHO, the cheapest Martin that's worth buying is the D-1GT and it runs over $1,100 new. Not high end but not my idea of "cheap" either.

• Members

Depends on what you want. Want some rugged, robust guitar, get the Martin. It is virtually indestructible. The Yammie is made of wood, so not as rugged. If you like your Martin, go for the Martin. If you want something different sounding, the Yammie is the best choice. Although I would rather go for a used 730 Yammie. Nicer woods, nicer trim.

• Members

Frist, welcome to the forum and to guitar playing. The Martin 000X1 that you have is a decent starter guitar - solid spruce top, back and sides don't matter a lot at this point. I happen to like the smaller 000 size and I think this is a very good guitar to learn to play on.

Why buy a similar price point guitar? I doubt that you really need electronics at this point in your playing, you certainly don't need a cutaway (most acoustic players don't). Why not put your three hundred bucks away and in a year or two when you have outgrown your 000X1 buy something to move up to - an all solid wood guitar in the size and shape that you find suits the music you are playing. Move this guitar to secondary status - alternate tuning or take it on trips.

btw, if you haven't done it already, take fifty or a hundred dollars of that money and have your Martin set up really well by someone who can analyze your technique and adjust the guitar accordingly - maybe your instructor can recommend someone. Then put the rest of it in the bank for your future guitar.

• Members

I don't think anyone can go wrong with a Yamaha guitar at any price point.

That being said, I would suggest you get someone you know who is a good player to play them for you so you can asses what will work best for you as you yourself become a better player.

Archived