VOM1T

garthman

• Members

Yes. It's a new and fresh board, without anyone to hear or see your posts. You can now feel like a newbie, as no one is here anymore.

That is... unless all those old folks, like MM, show up and regain the interest they had before.

Sorry, but I killed the forum.

• Members
I submitted this last VOM1t on mp3 w/no video & no lyrics.

Now I've finished the video and lyrics. So here it is again.

It's synth-based, but I like how my arch-top sounds on this.

All the guitar parts are my Mr. Binh arch-top plugged in.

cE_5gCMqrH4

july2012a-small.jpg

The song has a cool vibe, lyrics look singable but I wasn't having any luck working them onto the melody. Bit of a fight. I'll retrace my steps and try to get the groove right. Sometimes a few passes are all that's needed.

• Members

Yea, the event has all but lost it's spirit. Other sites hosting something similar are also waning. But, it can be said it all began right here so no one can take that from it. Would have liked to see it go off better than it did, though. Is what it is.

• Members

The song has a cool vibe, lyrics look singable but I wasn't having any luck working them onto the melody. Bit of a fight. I'll retrace my steps and try to get the groove right. Sometimes a few passes are all that's needed.

Thanks. I don't know if they're singable. I have no idea. They might be spoken lyrics. Or they might be better in a harmony.

I know one thing - I am not going to sing it.

• Members
I submitted this last VOM1t on mp3 w/no video & no lyrics.

Now I've finished the video and lyrics. So here it is again. . . .

I enjoyed hearing it again and I liked the video. The lyrics were haunting like the melody. I'd like to hear it with vocals. In my head, I hear a woman singing it, with perhaps a hint of a French accent. I was a bit surprised there wasn't a reference to tides (Desire is a tide that pulls you inside" or some such) since that's the mechanism by which the ocean is drawn toward the Moon.

• Members

I enjoyed hearing it again and I liked the video. The lyrics were haunting like the melody. I'd like to hear it with vocals. In my head, I hear a woman singing it, with perhaps a hint of a French accent. I was a bit surprised there wasn't a reference to tides (Desire is a tide that pulls you inside" or some such) since that's the mechanism by which the ocean is drawn toward the Moon.

DeepEnd, Thanks for that. You're right. There is no reference to tides and there should be.

Back to the drawing board on this one I guess.

• Members

I used to really like doing these vom's but I rarely did 1 take...still it got me writing and playing to the best of my ability...can't remember his name but back then when he ran it and the site wasn't all messed up I looked forward to it...don't have my recording stuff up anymore, maybe in the winter when there is nothing else going on. I check in from time to time see what guitar question comes up and who answers. Not quite the same as when this whole site was busy. It works lousy still, after all this time. Carry on!

• Members
Etiene's submission was very nice...I enjoyed that...I see Neal is still at it after all this time...hard to believe someone could carry it this long.
Y'know, you could start a separate topic, this ain't about me. At least THIS topic isn't. The one you start OUTSIDE of this one could be if you wanted. Yes, Ettienne, it was very nice, those Binh guitars do sound great.

• Members

Thanks Neal. It was only one of his guitars though, my big arch-top, plugged in.

I sell them now in my bistro. So I have a small conflict of interest if I praise them.

But I don't sell them outside my bistro. Only inside. I get no kickbacks, as Katopp can attest.

Binh drops by and hangs a new instrument on the wall now & then.

Tourists or expats stop in and sometimes play one and infrequently buy one.

Last week, a local cop bought one. Hope he pays.

FWIW, it is a bitch to keep guitars clean in a Cajun/Vietnamese restaurant.

Cooking grease, smoke, grime, spices, inter alia, drift through the air

and land on them. Everything is in one room. There's no separation

from the kitchen to the tables, except for a long bar.

People watch and smell the cooks working, while guitars, ukes and mandolins

hang on the wall. Some are mine. Some are Binh's.

Blackened chicken breast, gumbo and jambalaya, good food, good guitars and

now and then, a good player wanders in and starts playing one of them.

We had one tonight. Dunno where he was from. He spoke North American English though.

He brought in a lot of other people and they ate and drank. He preferred Binh's $150

dread w/year-old strings to my Guild D60 or a new Binh jumbo cutaway w/new EXP's on it.

• Members
Thanks' date=' Deepend...what was the name or handle of the guy that used to run these...I can't remember its been so long.[/quote']

Stackabones originally hosted the VOM1T and Michael Martin took over from him. Stackabones hasn't been around in quite a while. Too bad.

• Members
Well' date=' there is certainly a dichotomy between BHH and tbry's songs... both well crafted and performed. Heh, " dichotomy"..dang 2 doller werds...it certainly fits though![/quote']

Probably a song there if you had the talent:

"I'm caught in a dichotomy between my love and need for you.

I'd even have a lobotomy or do a daring deed for you."

Yeah, that's the ticket!

• Members

It seems Michael Martin is off gallivanting around some of the more scenic parts of the USA with a bunch of his students so that's probably why he didn't start the VOM. I'm sure he'll return to his duties shortly.

I forgot to post a song when I started the thread. So here you go:

Nights In White Satin by The Moody Blues.

https://app.box.com/s/g2vufex3q3wgadmjd43j

Why not?

Played on my strat (copy) through a 10 watt acoustic guitar amp. One take with Audacity and my little computer mic.

Archived