New Member considering a Taylor 814ce needs help

gdc

• Members

Thanks for the reply. I have very few worries about the quality of the brand or that model but just wanted to see if I could get some feedback from current owners since the 814ce was such a flagship model for Taylor. The 2014 is an "improved version" with new electronics, lighter woods (or so I've read)

• Members
Hi, I'm a new user here and am considering buying either a used or new (2014) Taylor 814ce and wondering of anyone has experience with this model?

Thanks in advance.

I have played a pal's older 814ce in many recording sessions . It is a superb guitar. It records beautifully. It's by far my favorite Taylor. If I didn't own a Guild F65ce, I would have bought that Taylor from my pal. It's one of the best guitars I've played.

Of course, a lot depends on what kind of music you play. It is a fine guitar for recording. If you're a Bluegrass picker or need to be heard in a mob of guitars at hootenannies, it may not be the best choice.

• Members

No experience with the 814 (other than playing a couple in music stores) but I did own a 314 for a while. I would seriously recommend buying a new own if for no other reason to get the warranty. If you are buying a used one from a private party have them do anything that needs to be done under their warranty - particularly the neck angle if it needs it.

I think the x14 is Taylors best all around size, particularly good for a fingerstyle player. Their new electronics are excellent (avoid the first gen ES) and of course the NT neck makes any future rests a piece of cake. If you like the Taylor sound an 814 will make a great guitar for you.

Oh, and before I forget my manners, welcome to HCAG and lets us know what you get.

• Members

Freeman is a true expert. I'm not. But I would not be afraid to buy a used 814ce if I had a chance to play it. I'm a big fan of that particular guitar. But I think the new ones are over-priced. I could have bought my pal's for $1600.

Also - Taylors tend to fall in resale value rather quickly. So a used one might be a real bargain.

Finally, IMO, the drop-off in quality from new to used is likely to be in the electronics - not in the guitar itself.

july2012a-small.jpg

• Members

I have owned the new 2014 (ES2) 814ce for about 1 1/2 months. It is an fine instrument, well constructed with great intonation. But it sounds quite a bit different from earlier 814ce models. To me the most striking differences in tone are more pronounced mids and a slightly boomier bass. This guitar is often described as "lively" and I couldn't agree more. This guitar will respond to your level of attack, so you have to be carefull when flat picking. Open notes will really sound and this whole guitar vibrates, keeping the sound big and alive. This can be very good or very bad, depending on your playing style. I find that for fingerpicking (skin) this produces a wonderfully balanced tone from full lows to bell like highs. When strumming with a pick, I really notice the more accentuated mids. And heavy strumming will produce a mid-heavy sound that is not the usual Taylor sound. You should definitely get your hands on one and spend some time with it if you are considering purchasing this model. Also to my ear, the new ES2 system sounds much more acoustically accurate than the ES1. That doesn't mean that its better, but the ES2 system suits this guitar well IMO.

• Members
I have owned the new 2014 (ES2) 814ce for about 1 1/2 months. It is an fine instrument' date=' well constructed with great intonation. But it sounds quite a bit different from earlier 814ce models. To me the most striking differences in tone are more pronounced mids and a slightly boomier bass. This guitar is often described as "lively" and I couldn't agree more. This guitar will respond to your level of attack, so you have to be carefull when flat picking. Open notes will really sound and this whole guitar vibrates, keeping the sound big and alive. This can be very good or very bad, depending on your playing style. I find that for fingerpicking (skin) this produces a wonderfully balanced tone from full lows to bell like highs. When strumming with a pick, I really notice the more accentuated mids. And heavy strumming will produce a mid-heavy sound that is not the usual Taylor sound. You should definitely get your hands on one and spend some time with it if you are considering purchasing this model. Also to my ear, the new ES2 system sounds much more acoustically accurate than the ES1. That doesn't mean that its better, but the ES2 system suits this guitar well IMO. [/quote']

Sorry to hear Taylor changed the sound. It was a great acoustic studio guitar before. I wouldn't mind owning an older model. I loved the 814ce I recorded with several times. Never used the electronics either. I bought the sunburst Guild in the photo below. It's similar to the 814ce, but much thinner. I liked its acoustic sound more. But like the 814ce, it is a perfect studio guitar. It doesn't overwhelm the mic's. Also, it's a great live guitar plugged in. I'm very happy with it. Alas, they don't make F65ce's anymore.They still make 814ce's.

july2012a-small.jpg

• Members

One thing about Taylor guitars is that neck resets are a snap. The necks are bolted on and not glued in with a dovetail like traditional guitars. This has no effect on sound in my opinion and it avoids fretboard distortions at the "tongue" part of the fretboard that joins the body:

taylorjoint1.jpg

• Members

How would a neck of that configuration ever come to need a reset? The relationship between the faying surfaces looks to be given to 100% contact, no minute gaps to grow larger over time requiring thicker shims. Does the neck block move to some extent?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

If anyone is still considering the 814CE... The Taylor 800 series, part of the Taylor Guitars staple series, has had a makeover changing from their old style in 2014. They've changed the bracing pattern, going from X-bracing to the Advanced Performance patter, which helped tone and balance out the EQ. The recently revamped Taylor Guitars has the additional premium detail of Adirondack spruce bracing, customized for each body shape to optimize their innate strengths, and Gotoh 510 tuners with 21:1 gear ratios. Whereas before, the Taylor guitars had an 18:1 ratio, this upgrade gives this model more precision with finer tuning control.

Archived