Discuss

riffmeister lives

• Members

Looks to me like he either didn't have enough cedar or decided to use two tones of finish on the top when they made the guitar. Also, the way that the tones are positioned it appears asymetrical. It should get wider when you go down the front but this gets narrower. It could be that he was trying to bring out different musical tones using spruce and cedar on the top, or he was drunk when he made this guitar. It should be remembered though that the most important thing about a git is the player not the instrument so Mr Riffmeister I'm sure you do a wonderful job of playing it.

Big Al :)

• Members

It will certainly be the case that the rich full sombre dark mellow tones of the cedar will meld with the thin bright light airy fairy tones of the spruce to produce a guitar that is second to none in the whole wide world.

Now I think I'll go and hammer my Les Paul "Pete Townsend" style.

• Members

Dammit Garthman, you hit the nail on the head! Except that you left out an important adjective....."melliferous". ;)

This guy in the latter part of the 19th century, Antonio de Torres, had the idea of using a three-piece spruce top with a denser piece of spruce in the middle. Fast-forward 125 years and an Italian luthier, Andrea Tacchi, decided to copy that idea except using cedar for the "wings". I've played one of these guitars and it was quite nice! But personally, I can't quite swallow the aesthetic.

• Members

Hmmm. Looks like you overtightened the truss rod! ;o)

As for that first one, I don't buy the story. That there is an "oopsie" that somebody is trying to make marketable. That's luthery for you though. I made a couple of oopsies on my first build that I covered up

and actually got complimented for:

4B6E5F11-orig.jpg

CA310121-orig_zps75e90aa6.jpg

D326DC50-orig_zps23fa1569.jpg

yes, I traced a guitar pick and inlaid it into the surrounding wood/purfling. I actually bought into it and will most likely incorporate it into my next build. Hopefully I've learned from the original "oopsie" though.

• Members

Don't like the multi species top. That had to be tough to make. All the way through the construction I'd'a been cringing its appeal to the very conventional trappings of the classical crowd. Probably made them all, one at a time, uncross those legs and put their hands on their knees whilst sucking in their breath. Oh, the shame...

Sarcasm, yes, but true nonetheless.

I was playing my Yamaha classical this evening and thinking how to make it sound better. Then I ran it into the Fishman SA220 and all was better.

Edit to add: Neil, nice flubbuster. Looks great. I remember when I was custom painting Harleys for extra cash I'd put a star over a small defect or add an element to cover a larger one. I painted a bi-plane into a goof on the Graf Zeppelin I was painting on the trunk lid of an Olds 442 (Zep album jacket art) in '76. The owner thought it was a brilliant bit of artistic license, LOL. It was a goof.

• Members
Garthman you have a twisted sense of humour. (and notice that I am showing deference to the British spelling)

:) and cheers for the correct spelling

​I recently renovated an old electric guitar my son found in a skip that had a twisted neck similar to that classical. It actually played OK with no intonation problems. So there you go!

Archived