Epiphone Masterbuilt

gardo

• Members

I'm considering buying a lightly used Masterbuilt 500M .I like the guitars but this one has a Fishman pickup installed under the saddle .Will this hurt the tone or raise the action?

I haven't gone to see it yet because it's a bit of a drive and I don't want to waste my time if the pickup is a bad thing. Thanks for any help you can offer.

• Members

I've not played an Epi Masterbilt but I've heard good things about them.

If the pick up has been fitted correctly - and I know of no reason why it shouldn't have been - it will not affect the tone or action. Fishman electronics are generally very good.

If the price is right - go for it.

• Members
I've not played an Epi Masterbilt but I've heard good things about them.

If the pick up has been fitted correctly - and I know of no reason why it shouldn't have been - it will not affect the tone or action. Fishman electronics are generally very good.

If the price is right - go for it.

Much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's been about twenty years since I've had a decent six string acoustic and I'm lovin' it. Fresh strings ,straight neck, filed a bit off the saddle and it plays great. Now I need to brush up on some acoustic licks. I can't believe what I've been missing all this time ,so once again thanks for the enouragement.

• Members

Glad to hear you've rediscovered what you were missing. For a lot of us an acoustic is the whole point of having a guitar. I play my Strat sometimes but it's when I'm strumming an acoustic--even a cheapie like my Jay Turser beater--that I feel like I'm really playing guitar.

• Members
Glad to hear you've rediscovered what you were missing. For a lot of us an acoustic is the whole point of having a guitar. I play my Strat sometimes but it's when I'm strumming an acoustic--even a cheapie like my Jay Turser beater--that I feel like I'm really playing guitar.

Now that you've mentioned it,it's really nice to just play and not adjust the amp settings or the controls on the guitar or stomping on pedals ect.

• Members

We used to give out goats for new guitars - don't know what happened to the habit, but here is one for you.

IMG_1330_zpscd414e12.jpg

That's a nice looking guitar and I've heard great things about the sloped shouldered Epi's - congratulations. And I also agree with DeepEnd - I'll always be an acoustic player, the electric just doesn't fill the need.

• Members
It's been about twenty years since I've had a decent six string acoustic and I'm lovin' it. Fresh strings ' date='straight neck, filed a bit off the saddle and it plays great. Now I need to brush up on some acoustic licks. I can't believe what I've been missing all this time ,so once again thanks for the enouragement.[/quote']

That's awesome news! I had the same sentiments about 11 years ago the last time I put strings on my Strat. We're not looking to convert you over here though! It's okay to play your electric - with the headphones on, of course! ;o)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Awesome guitar! I wish I had gotten a Masterbilt back when they first came out and had the full line but I wasn't in acquisition mode back then. Now the only ones being sold regularly are the GC ones with the cutaway which I just don't like aesthetically. I've never seen a used one for sale locally.

I did just get a Yamaha LS6 which is my first acoustic in a long time and I'm enjoying it. It's making me think about getting an all solid wood box but I need to get better and learn more acoustic-appropriate songs.

• Members
Awesome guitar! I wish I had gotten a Masterbilt back when they first came out and had the full line but I wasn't in acquisition mode back then. Now the only ones being sold regularly are the GC ones with the cutaway which I just don't like aesthetically. I've never seen a used one for sale locally.

I did just get a Yamaha LS6 which is my first acoustic in a long time and I'm enjoying it. It's making me think about getting an all solid wood box but I need to get better and learn more acoustic-appropriate songs.

I've got to agree with that I don't like the look either,,The cutaway is nice for accses to the upper frets but I don't go much past the 14th or15th fret so I don't need it.

I also need to get better especially with finger style.picking.

Archived