Recommendations on my next guitar

Chaff67

• Members

I've been looking at the Martin HD-28VE and HD-28E. Has anyone had experience with these guitars? Recommend one over the other? Or something else to look at. I am needing an acoustic-electric, but want something that sounds great both plugged in and unplugged.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

• Members

I did try the HD-28 (non-electric version) and love the tone and playability of the guitar. Structurally I'm not sure if there is a difference. The biggest difference I saw, from reading the description of the guitars, is the electronics inside.

• Members

As I recall (but please confirm this as I'm going from memory) the biggest difference in the vintage Martins is more of a vee neck. There might be some subtle bracing differences too. The neck would be a biggie - some people love the vintage necks, some can't stand them. I would definitely play that before buying.

I'm guessing that you don't have both of these guitars to A/B - there are online clips at places like the Podium or Maury's that might help you decide on the sound

http://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_guitar_video_clips

Buying a guitar without a pickup and installing exactly what your gig's need greatly opens your options. I have had good luck installing K&K Pure Mini soundboard transducers (about $100) in Martins - the K&K are passive so the only mod to the guitar is the end pin jack. There are many other systems, including the little internal microphones, that sound pretty good. And of course, for a bluegrass band everyone just stands in front of one mic - I think they are typically large condenser.

Last suggestion, as much as I hate suggesting another forum, is to ask over at UMGF - they are the Martin experts

• Members

If you want the electronics there are many brands to choose from. K&K Sound is the most touted producer of Piezo-type transducers and preamps. But, they're also fairly pricey when you consider that Piezo is Piezo and a well assembled product using it is virtually no different than the next company's product of the same quality.

So, there's K&K Sound and then there's JJB Electronics for about half the price and same quality.

http://jjb-electronics.com/our_products.html

• Members

I've owned an HD-28 for about 2 years now and it's a great guitar. In fact, if I never bought this guitar, I probably wouldn't be on the path that I currently find myself on. I bought it from the music store the salesman said "I shouldn't let you have this guitar!" If he only knew!

• Members

Thank you all for the input. I have spent the past few days perusing the local music stores. I discovered that I don't care for V neck on the vintage Martins. I tried an HD-28E and loved the sound unplugged but wasn't impressed with the plugged in sound. I may go the route of putting in my own electronics. The only problem there is not knowing what the electronics will sound like until they are installed.

Archived