Can you tell the difference?

Freeman Keller

• Members

Yep. But only between the 2 and the baby Taylor, that one was obvious. Shoulda done a Chinese knock-off and the two big guys, guessing that would have been a bit more challenging.

On an aside, those baby taylors really sound crappy. I'm sure they play well, and are good practice/keep at the cabin/take camping sort of guitars, but pretty thin.

Apples to apples to onions. If you need the old one and have a large pocketbook, then why not? Otherwise, a 5K Martin.... or a 400 dollar GAD may suit you fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So, WTF. No come back Freeman? You done with the place? 12 days and this was a serious conversation starter, your thread, and you did.not.bite.

I (guessed) correctly. My wife (guessed) correctly. Thought it might generate some lively discussion here but other than you, zip. What else can I say.

I did stir up a minor s**t storm at the electric forum about the sounds of different electric guitars. A regular posted clips of three electrics - I was the only one who attempted to identify them based on the little that I know about wood, electric body shapes and that sort of stuff. It was another apples to onions to rutabaga comparison - I think I learned something but I'm not sure what.

• Members

hmm, i listenend to it and sorted the three clips in a way i thought which one sounded best, second and worse to my ears and than added the price tag highest to lowest to my short list.

yes my taste was the correct order, but i think the recording/playing of the 5000$ martin was a little weak/silent compared to the vintage one

or is there really such a big difference in volume between those two guitars?

• Members

hmm, i listenend to it and sorted the three clips in a way i thought which one sounded best, second and worse to my ears and than added the price tag highest to lowest to my short list.

yes my taste was the correct order, but i think the recording/playing of the 5000$ martin was a little weak/silent compared to the vintage one

or is there really such a big difference in volume between those two guitars?

Well, its far from being a controlled experiment, but I would assume that NPR is using the same mic in approximately the same placement and Gruhn is playing each in the same fashion (same pick, etc). I have also heard a 1937 D-18 played along side a recent on (and my '74) - there is definitely a difference. However I'm not sure I could really tell if I had not heard them side by side.

Also, I think I read in one of the discussions about this article that the new Martin was an OM - that would reduce its volume and bass compared to a dread.

• Members

Also, I think I read in one of the discussions about this article that the new Martin was an OM - that would reduce its volume and bass compared to a dread.

that would explain alot

but at leasdt i'm capable to hear the difference between a cheap and an expensive guitar :)

• Members

Comparing Apples to Pineapples.

Three very different Guitars, not only in price, but also in body, scale and construction.

None of the three is a bad guitar. I would have rather wanted to hear a bog standard new D28 compared to a decent Chinese D28 copy and one of the "holy grail" Martin prewar Dreads.

Archived