walden or epiphone?

fingerpicking J

• Members

Apples and oranges. Different body styles, different construction, etc. The Walden is rosewood with a solid cedar top; the Epiphone is maple with a solid spruce top. Do you have the opportunity to play both? If so, let your ears and fingers be your guide. I will say one thing: With the Epiphone, you're paying for extra bling that doesn't translate into better sound. But the Walden is only available as the G630CE, which has factory electronics. If you don't need electronics, I'd look elsewhere but the Epiphone wouldn't necessarily be my first choice. If you like the Walden and don't need electronics, maybe consider the G730 (http://www.waldenguitars.com/G730.html), which is the same price as the G630CE and has a solid back.

As to the last, I think you're confused regarding terms. A "solid body" guitar is an electric and refers to the body being a "solid" hunk of wood like a Les Paul or Telecaster. Acoustics aren't "solid body" guitars because they need the body to be a box with air in it to produce sound. You're probably referring to a guitar that has all solid wood. All else being equal, yes,an all-solid guitar is better but all things aren't always equal. The sonic result is what counts. A solid top is, however, a better investment.

Finally, do your research, play as many guitars as you can get your hands on, and give yourself a chance to make a decision you won't regret.

• Members

Welcome J, and listen very carefully to what DeepEnd told you - particularly about playing each. I'm curious why you picked those two guitars - have you played them or are you shopping on line?

I associate the J-200 with Rev Davis, Sheryl Crow and lots of singer/song writers - its a big strummers guitar. If you are truly a finger picker the Waldon has a lot going for it - smaller body which means better balance and the cedar top is liked by some fingerstyle and many classical players (it tends to be warmer sound, doesn't require breakin, but is easily damaged). As a finger style player myself, if I had to choose one it would be the Waldon, but there are many other in that general price range if you would tell us more about how you play, what guitars you have played and your reaction, whether you truly need the cut and/or electronics, and a target price range.

• Members

thanks guys!!

the problem is i dont have access to either of the guitars and will have to buy one of them online ... by solid body i meant solid back and sides because both the guitars have a solid top but laminate back and sides .. i have been playing fingerstyle for a couple of years now on a walden dreadnought and i love its sound ...

anyway thanks again you guys helped ..

Jerry

• Members

thanks guys!!

the problem is i dont have access to either of the guitars and will have to buy one of them online ... by solid body i meant solid back and sides because both the guitars have a solid top but laminate back and sides .. i have been playing fingerstyle for a couple of years now on a walden dreadnought and i love its sound ...

anyway thanks again you guys helped ..

Jerry

Good luck with your decision. Based on this, and the fact that you apparently like the neck on your Walden dread, the GA might be a very good choice. I started fingerpicking on a big old Martin dread, but almost never play it now that I've discovered smaller bodied guitars. And, as you know, its the top that makes the sound - it at all possible that needs to be a solid piece of wood. The back and sides may add some color to the sound, but being solid isn't nearly as important as the top. Personally I don't have any need for a cutaway on my guitars (I even play 12 fretters and don't have any problem up the neck) nor do I need electronics - both of those add to the cost of your guitar if you'll never use them.

Keep us posted on what you end up with.

• Members
... by solid body i meant solid back and sides because both the guitars have a solid top but laminate back and sides ...

If you're looking at Walden and you want a solid back and sides, you're looking at the "2000 Series" or higher, either the CG2010 http://www.waldenguitars.com/CG2010.html (spruce/rosewood) or the G2070 http://www.waldenguitars.com/G2070.html (cedar/mahogany). Either will cost you around $800. If that's more than you can afford, maybe look at a solid top and back with laminated sides. You also need to decide whether you want a cedar or spruce top. If it helps, Walden dreadnaughts like yours typically have spruce tops. If you want something mellower, try cedar.

Archived