Should I do a build thread? Where should I post it?

Freeman Keller

• Members

A friend has asked me to build him a rather unique guitar - his exact words were "I want an acoustic that looks like an ES-175". I normally document my builds by taking pictures at critical points - that makes it rather easy to upload them and put together a little documentary on the build. So, first question, is there any interest in seeing this.?

Second question is a little trickier - the guitar will be basically an acoustic (at least that's the idea) so the thread should probably be in the Acoustic subforum. However, it is based on an electric and will have at least a soundboard transducer, so that makes it slightly electric. In fact, since the whole idea is kind of hair brained, I'm going to reserve the right if it sounds like crap to hog out a couple of big holes in the top and drop in a couple of P-90's. Now we're definitely electric.

Add to all of that that I'm pretty regular on the Acoustic forum (that's probably a bad thing) and I've done several build threads there before. Early ones were pretty well accepted but the last one that I did has such poor response that I stopped posting updates - I finished the guitar but not the thread. Frankly, right now the Acoustic forum is pretty much dead. Would this help it or just add to the lack of interest?

I'm not very well known at the Electric forum - I have an electric but consider myself an acoustic player. I did do a build thread a couple of years ago and it was very well received - in fact the comments were quite flattering and people seemed to get a lot out of the discussion. I'd kind of like to go where the action is, if that makes any sense.

Last reason for considering the Electric forum is that this thing will have a couple of tricks that might appeal more to the electric crowd (you'll have to wait). But I really don't want to post off topic or bore you shredders with looking inside a hollow box.

I guess I could do it both places - see how it goes. Drop one or the other or both if its not working out. There would obviously be different comments and questions at each forum but as far as the build goes I could just copy and paste. That's exactly what I'm doing here.

So, what'cha think. Build thread or No? Here, there, both or neither? Anything you want to see? Discussion......

Archived