Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sister (believe it or not) doesn't do computers. I am still awaiting word from her.
    Previously she had looked at the Guild. A friend recommended a Breedlove ...
    I didn't realize there were that many choices available anymore ...
    D
    Bringing the Harmony back to Harmony Central

Comment

Originally posted by Dendy Jarrett View Post
      I'm a drummer. Know little about acoustic guitars. My sister wants a 12 string and is asking my advice.
      What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
      D
      I owned quite a few.......Loved my Guild F30, but its a lot of guitar....that is physically....hard to play any guitar that isn't comfortable....my recommendation is to go play a few and see what feels and sounds good....regardless of headstock....Martin does have an entry level 12 under $600.....hard to beat that price range for a playable 12-er.
      Steve Goodman Fan/Eddie Wright Fan/Damon Fowler Fan<br><br>2012 Gibson J45 Standard Spruce/mahogany<br><br>1969 Framus 12 String Spruce/Mahogany<br>1990's Larrivee D2 (Spruce/Mahogany)<br>2007-8 Guild C0-2C (Spruce/Mahogany)<br>2009 Recording King RO-26 (Spruce/Mahogany)<br>1962-3 Gibson LG2 (Spruce/Mahogany)<br><br><br>

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman Keller View Post
        . . . People do string and tune their 12 in strange fashion, but most of us won't do something weird like leaving a bunch of string off. However, I guess its your guitar and you can do as you please. . . .
        Two strings is hardly a bunch. I won't dispute what "most of us" do or what qualifies as "weird" but I've seen it done a number of times. As for brands, you're pretty much on target, as usual. I've seen 12-strings all over the map but there are only a few for serious long-term ownership.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by Dendy Jarrett View Post
          My sister (believe it or not) doesn't do computers. I am still awaiting word from her.
          Previously she had looked at the Guild. A friend recommended a Breedlove ...
          I didn't realize there were that many choices available anymore ...
          D
          Breedlove makes some nice 12 strings but you either love or hate their aesthetics. They also use something called the JDL "bridge doctor" in their higher end guitars (but not the PacRim imports I think) - that could help counter the higher string pull on the bridge. The JDL is sometimes used as a fix for 12 strings that have developed a bit of a belly - sometimes it works, sometimes not. As far as the Breedlove, I would play it and make up your own mind.

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
          Two strings is hardly a bunch. I won't dispute what "most of us" do or what qualifies as "weird" but I've seen it done a number of times. As for brands, you're pretty much on target, as usual. I've seen 12-strings all over the map but there are only a few for serious long-term ownership.
          Double coursed instruments were generally designed that way for a reason - why suggest changing that when a person is just starting? I think she wants the iconic sound of a 12 string - let her play it that way. (as an aside, I know that Leadbelly used two primary G strings and a double octave on the 12th, some 12 string players put the primaries on "top" ala Rickenbacker, and then there is that Taylor 8 string baritone thing. All are variations on the 12 string theme but not where I'd suggest starting).

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman Keller View Post
            . . . Double coursed instruments were generally designed that way for a reason - why suggest changing that when a person is just starting? I think she wants the iconic sound of a 12 string - let her play it that way. . . .
            I wasn't suggesting she start that way, just that some of us do play our 12-strings like that and that it can sometimes be preferable (plus two fewer strings is that much less tension).

Comment

Is there someone to check out guitars for her? If so I've always felt used is the way to go. I mostly play electrics but I picked up a 1978 Alvarez ,Japanese made 12 string that is fine for what I do. It only cost me about $200 with a hard shell case and I play the heck out of it with no issues
              Oh,I did repair one latch on the case.

They are also Scott Grove approved http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO0ww-Du0wk
              Last edited by gardo; 07-30-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
                Is there someone to check out guitars for her? If so I've always felt used is the way to go. I mostly play electrics but I picked up a 1978 Alvarez ,Japanese made 12 string that is fine for what I do. It only cost me about $200 with a hard shell case and I play the heck out of it with no issues
                Oh,I did repair one latch on the case.
                That can be a crap shoot. Back before I understood things like playability and action and neck angle and stuff like that I bought a Yamaha 12 string for two hundred bucks. I thought 12's were supposed to be hard to play and it was - darn near impossible. I sold it to some other sucker, er, person for 2 bills and bought a nice Martin 12 for 700. By then I knew that the Martin needed a reset and I knew what it would cost - that got factored into the purchase price. Had the work done and I've got a sweet vintage D12-28 that plays like butter. Since then I've added two small bodied 12's to my quiver - they suit my playing style better than the dread.

Hence the caution in my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
                  Is there someone to check out guitars for her? If so I've always felt used is the way to go. . . .
                  As Freeman mentioned, a used 12-string is a crap shoot but having someone who knows guitars--and specifically knows acoustic guitars--help with the hands-on search is a good idea. Where does she live? There might be someone from Acoustic Guitars who can help. I'll volunteer if she's near St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                    I'll volunteer if she's near St. Louis.
                    I'll volunteer if she's in the PNW. I've got three of them she can try out.

Btw - here is a good 12 string resource. Its on UMGF so there is a slight Martin bias, but in general its all about the 12 string

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...e#.U9mTsM90y1s

Comment

Working...
                    X