Help buying a guitar Rodrigo y Gabriella style. Fishman Ellipse?

Live Loops

• Members

Hi,

I'm living in Thailand right now, and have a chance to order a nice guitar from Holland (home country) and have it brought over.

I am playing a style like Rodrigo y Gabriela and I use my iPod as a looping machine.

Right now i have a simple classic guitar (Aura) without internal microphone, so my drumming is not amplified.

I'm leaning toward buying something like an Ibanez EWN28SYENT

http://www.accentmusic.com/Ibanez-EWN28SYENT-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-p/79126.htm

Then add a Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend for the percussion.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup? Is the Ellipse the way to go?

Is there a guitar setup and ready for this kinda music?

My budget is around 700 euro.

Thanks a lot!

• Members

Why not buy the Rod y Gab signature Yamahas (they play slightly different models)

http://www.yamaha.com/artists/artistdetailb.html?CNTID=5122574&CTID=5070240

Then all you have to do is learn to play like she does.....

Somewhere in a stack of magazines I have an older article about them before they started endorsing the Yamie - I could look that up if you want to know what they were playing back then.

• Members

I'm a big Ibanez fan but I'd stay away from that one. The ExoticWood series of guitars are designed to look cool at the expense of unplugged tone. It already has a pickup installed but if you need to add one to whatever guitar you choose the Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend is a fairly good choice in your case. So is the Baggs Anthem. The Baggs Lyric should work as well. For drumming, you'll probably want a guitar with a spruce top as opposed to cedar, which is more common on nylon string models. The dealer you're looking at has a few Takamine guitars in your price range, including one with a pickup, all with spruce tops, and some Yamahas that come in at a bit less but without pickups. If you're going to install a pickup anyway, they're probably the way to go.

• Members

Great info, Thanks!

Freeman, I guess you didn't watch my video then. Although, i'm not doing any drumming here as of the piezo pickup.

And that would be great. I'd love to find out what other guitars they where playing. Rodriqo's current Yamie sells for 1329 euro. A bit over my budget, excluding a mic blending system.

After a full day searching, the Yamaha NTX700 caught my interest. It's a cheaper version of the on Rodrigo uses. Only difference is different wood, but still with a spruce top. I read reviews and people seem to really love the System61 2way A.R.T pickup system it comes with.

http://asia.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/special/nx/images/pickup_thumb02.jpg

I'm thinking of combining this with the Baggs Lyric you recommended, but it will mean 2 jack outputs. Maybe an extra hole in the guitar and I guess a small mixer with maybe even an equalizer.

Is this all possible? Will i have any complications?

• Members

I did watch your video. And I have watched Gabriela's vid as well as her discussion on technique in the April 2008 issue of Acoustic Guitar. This is approximately the same time as their first album (the one that features Tamacum). At that time they were playing Frank Tate classical guitars with spruce tops and rosewood b/s (google for his website) and they had just started with the Yamies (they were still prototype but based on the APX5NA and CGX171CCA). The article says they are using Fishman Prefix Premium Blend and D-TAR pickups, D-TAR Equinox parametric equalizer preamp, D-TAR Mama Bear and LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI.

Don't know what they use now, but you might want to go back and find the article. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks a lot Freeman,

I haven't found that article yet, but it looks like they now only use the Yamaha System61 2way A.R.T pickup system. The only added info i can find is that Gabriela has 6 or so of these transducer stickers in her guitar.

So i'm still very leaning towards this NTX700. With just 2 of these transducer stickers it seems to pick up enough percussion already, if i can believe the Yamaha promo video.

Thing is, the NTX700 is thinner than gabriele's NCX guitar. Apart from having a bit less bass in the percussion, will it have a big difference playing Gabriele's technique? Would the guitar be suitable to play both parts?

• Members

Wall Street it ain't. I like to think it has taken on the proper proportions of people's time. The old guard couldn't abstain more than a day without acting like they'd arrived from the distant past on their return to engage in the word edge-wise melee and menagerie. Fun to watch nothing get said.

Archived