RIP JW

Queequeg

• Members

Aw man. I loved Johnny Winter. I saw him play a gig in Atlanta WAY back when at a place called the Sports Arena which I think was typically a wrestling venue. In a really iffy part of the wrong side of downtown, long gone I'm sure. In the middle of the show he brought out an unknown guy who proceeded to play every instrument on stage with wild abandon. It was his brother Edgar.

• Members

Aw man. I loved Johnny Winter. I saw him play a gig in Atlanta WAY back when at a place called the Sports Arena which I think was typically a wrestling venue. In a really iffy part of the wrong side of downtown' date=' long gone I'm sure. In the middle of the show he brought out an unknown guy who proceeded to play every instrument on stage with wild abandon. It was his brother Edgar.[/quote']

I have a somewhat similar history with him.

Seen him many times over many years. And on one occasion, although he was in town, he didn't show up. Couldn't make it out of his hotel room because he was, well, you know, "sick".

And once in "a really iffy part of the wrong side of downtown" [Cleveland, that is] some guy threatened to throw me off the balcony of that venue. I called his bluff and he backed down, thankfully.

Johnny Winter played the blues like nobody's bidness.

And no one ever called him a poser.

Archived