DI Boxes

thatsbunk

• Members

Hello,

Been a long time since I've been here but from what I recall there was always good help available.

I did a search on DI boxes & didn't see anything in the forum. Anyway, I'm in an over 50 "just for fun" band where we practice maybe once a month play out 3-4 times a year... real casual. I recently traded in my fender Deville amp for something that's kinder to my back (a princeton reverb... great little amp). It suits my needs fine for my electric playing, but it doesn't have enough clean headroom for the few songs we do where I play acoustic or mandolin. So I thought I would use a DI box to plug directly into the pa for those songs.

My question is- doing a quick search on available boxes, the prices range from $20 to hundreds... obviously there must be a difference for the $ but I can't figure out what they are. I don't want to spend too little & find out it is worthless or spend too much for something I really don't need.

Any thoughts/advice on what I should be looking for would be appreciated!

• Members

The Baggs Para DI is well regarded hereabouts. Our church uses Radial DI's and they seem to work well. Also, a bass or keyboard amp will work fine for acoustic guitar so if you have one with an unused channel . . .

• Members
Hello,

Been a long time since I've been here but from what I recall there was always good help available.

I did a search on DI boxes & didn't see anything in the forum. Anyway, I'm in an over 50 "just for fun" band where we practice maybe once a month play out 3-4 times a year... real casual. I recently traded in my fender Deville amp for something that's kinder to my back (a princeton reverb... great little amp). It suits my needs fine for my electric playing, but it doesn't have enough clean headroom for the few songs we do where I play acoustic or mandolin. So I thought I would use a DI box to plug directly into the pa for those songs.

My question is- doing a quick search on available boxes, the prices range from $20 to hundreds... obviously there must be a difference for the $ but I can't figure out what they are. I don't want to spend too little & find out it is worthless or spend too much for something I really don't need.

Any thoughts/advice on what I should be looking for would be appreciated!

There are a couple of factors involved here. First, the kind of pickups you have in your acoustic guitar and mondolin will determine what sort of DI you need (or even if you do need one). Distance to the board is and the kind of board we're talking about are two more factors (depending on the kinds of pickups, and to some extent what sort of inputs you have on the board, you may, again not need a DI). The cost of the DI mostly a matter of durability and features, but you need to figure out what you need first.

Louis

• Members

There are a couple of factors involved here. First, the kind of pickups you have in your acoustic guitar and mondolin will determine what sort of DI you need (or even if you do need one). Distance to the board is and the kind of board we're talking about are two more factors (depending on the kinds of pickups, and to some extent what sort of inputs you have on the board, you may, again not need a DI). The cost of the DI mostly a matter of durability and features, but you need to figure out what you need first.

Louis

I have a Yamaha FSX700SC acoustic with an active pickup & a Gretsch G9320 new yorker with a passive pickup (i guess... don't see a battery compartment on it anywhere).

Our sound system is a mackie 808s powered monitor.

Didn't try to go direct into the pa with my acoustic. just the mandolin. i didn't monkey around with the settings too much. It just sounded a little dull to my ears- could just be my playing :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a zoom A2 which could work just fine. Cheap, sounds good, programmable... lots of fun and you can use it with electric guitars too (I like clean sound and have no need for distortion boxes).

Archived