D-string breaking

G-Sun

• Members

Hi!

I have a problem with my d-string breaking.

I've put on 2 new sets now, and it breaks within a day.

Looks like it's not the bridge but the fastening that causes the beak, but I'm not 100% sure.

The guitar is some 20 years old, and the fastening holes are ripped a little by the strings in the fastening.

What is a typical way to fix this?

Note that the back/right side is easy accessible, but the front/left hole is not so easy to do anything with.

bb342c8349043f598f57053151edd06d.png.6d09bb72db20e1e64f40e2c9ae0d2208.png

• Members

What Bigald says, but a couple of other comments. The saddle should lift out of the slot, you should be able to very lightly chamfer the holes on both ends. When I blow up your picture it says its not your bridge but only for illustration. Most classical players don't string exactly like that but rather only put one wrap on their bass strings, something like this

goodbridge.JPG

The bridge in my picture has bone on the tie block (not all classical bridges do) - that should be gently rounded, as should the top of the saddle itself. My picture was taken from Frank Ford's website showing how to string a classical - here is the complete article.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr1.html

Lastly, if the holes are deformed enough that the string is hanging up it might be possible to repair the wood around the hole. I would put some powered ebony or rosewood (depending on what kind of bridge you have) in the damaged area and wick a tiny amount of CA (super glue), then clean out the hole to its original size.

• Members

What's "powered ebony"?

When I am trying to fill small divots or flaws in wood I sand a scrap of similar wood and collect the dust. I can pack that into the flaw and then put a drop of thin superglue on it, it fills the flaw with the same color material. You probably won't have any ebony scraps laying around but if you can find some sort of very dark wood and sand it with 100 grit or so you can make repairs that are almost impossible to see.

Its also possible to build up the damaged area with just the super glue (use medium or gel) but I like to use the wood powder.

Can you post a good picture of your bridge?

• Members

When I am trying to fill small divots or flaws in wood I sand a scrap of similar wood and collect the dust. I can pack that into the flaw and then put a drop of thin superglue on it, it fills the flaw with the same color material. You probably won't have any ebony scraps laying around but if you can find some sort of very dark wood and sand it with 100 grit or so you can make repairs that are almost impossible to see.

Its also possible to build up the damaged area with just the super glue (use medium or gel) but I like to use the wood powder.

Can you post a good picture of your bridge?

Thanks!

Yes, I guessed that was what so.

No, you're right, I don't have any ebony laying around. I'll see what I can find.

Super glue vs. wood glue?

My camera is a little malfunctioning. I'll see what I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived