Rosewood Bridge Pins

garthman

• Members

After many months of serious listening I've come to the conclusion that the rosewood bridge pins on my vintage Eko Ranger VI are responsible for it's rich mellow tone.

Does anyone think that replacing them with plastic pins would brighten up the instrument? I realize that the mahogany neck of the instrument might react adversely but do you think it's worth a try?

• Members

Yeah, when it comes to bridge pins I'm either black or white. Two of my guitars have black bridge (ebony or dichlite) and another has rosewood so I'd be likely NOT to put brown pins on any of them because it'd look like....something brown. My ears aren't good enough to definitively decipher if one type of pin is better than another. I'm of the mind that the pick plays a bigger role. I put ebony/MOP pins on my homemade guitar simply because I thought the white plastic pins were ugly. Rosewood pins would have blended in with the rosewood bridge though.

• Members

I was gonna say I've been experimenting with brass on the bass to brighten them, plastic on the mids to keep them where they are and mahogany on the trebles to mellow their brilliance a bit. At the end of the day and all is said and done and concluded, the git sounds like it's all hog. Fail. I coulda bought an all hog git for that, dangit.

• Members

You're all wrong about the bridge pins. The only way to go is white bone inlaid w/mop. The guitar strap is extremely important. Leather gives a much better transmission of sound than a fabric strap therefore creating second coupling of body to neck causing a rich, rare type of tone. Additionaly, if you've got plastic bindings on your guitar get rid of them. Wood is a much better coupling medium than plastic. You really don't even need bindings. they're just cosmetic bling anyway.

BigAl

• Members

Yeah. And the other thing i was thinking was to put a set of multicoloured strings on the old git. But, hell, the green ones are going to be so much brighter than the warm red ones and f*ck knows how they will compare to the mellow blue ones.

• Members
You are wrong and a liar™

Usually on the former and unintentionally on the latter.

Never thought about colored strings, Howard. Now that you mention it though it makes me wonder why the colors of the rainbow are stacked in a certain order. Is one color heavier than another or is there a pecking order to all things in nature?

• Members

Usually on the former and unintentionally on the latter.

Never thought about colored strings, Howard. Now that you mention it though it makes me wonder why the colors of the rainbow are stacked in a certain order. Is one color heavier than another or is there a pecking order to all things in nature?

Something about wavelengths I think.

I tried black strings once, on my Tak. Couldn't get used to them.

• Members

Something about wavelengths I think.

I tried black strings once, on my Tak. Couldn't get used to them.

Well, I do know that yellow waves longer than red but not as long as blue, says Roy G. Biv, so maybe that's why. If that has any direct relationship with sound, the red strings will decay first, then yellow then blue. If this is true, then boomy Martins can be made to sound better with red bass strings, yellow mids and blue trebles. Swap that order to make better sounding Taylors. Even if this doesn't hold up to metallurgical test, it could marketed that way. Folks will believe it like they believe coated strings are better. It's all in the marketing. Discuss?

Black Diamond strings have always been poor quality but they were available in just about every store anywhere you traveled in the early days. That made them good strings because everyone used them. If everyone used them then no one sounded any better than the next guy, tone smiths removed from the equation.

• Members

Well, I do know that yellow waves longer than red but not as long as blue, says Roy G. Biv, so maybe that's why.

If I remember my Astronomy 101 from decades ago (I wasn't good enuf at math to take physics), red light has the longest wavelength and violet has the shortest. In the visible light spectrum I mean.

Archived