Road trippin'

Freeman Keller

• Members

For the past few weeks we've been on a long road trip - climbing in Idaho, canyoneering in Utah, then up to Oregon for some family stuff. Most of the time we've been car camping and I brought along an old guitar - just couldn't go three weeks without touching strings.

We were camped in Zion park and after dinner I was nursing an IPA and picking some blues when I looked up and saw a young man, maybe 15 or 16, standing outside of our camp site, watching me play. When he saw me looking at him he slowly approached and asked "can I sit here and listen to you?". "Of course" I said, "do you play". He answered "I've got a guitar and I'm going to learn".

I asked him what kind of music he listened to - he named some groups or people I had never heard of (surprise). I told him I had been influenced by Dylan and Eric Clapton and Dave Mathews (I knew he wouldn't recognize any of my true influences) - he said he had heard of some of them. I played a couple of Clapton songs, Tears in Heaven, Alberta maybe, and he said he really liked that. I handed him the guitar and he played a few one string lines - obviously pretty new to the whole game - then he asked if it was necessary to learn chords.

I took the guitar back and played Tears again, naming the chords as I played them. I showed him how I could either strum the rhythm part or play finger style with the melody on top. I also told him that if he learned the scales that went along with the chords he could play a lead line - suggested that was how Clapton did his solos. We chatted for a while longer and I noodled around, then he looked up and realized that it was pretty late. "I'd better get back to my camp", he said, "mom might get mad". He thanked me and disappeared into the shadows.

My wife looked at me and said "that was awfully sweet, you know". I said, "yeah, my first fan"

• Members

Great story. When we got back from our recent one week trip to northern Michigan, the first thing I did after we unpacked was to grab my Jay Turser POS beater and start playing, even though it was close to midnight. I hadn't touched a guitar in a week. Who knows, if I'd taken one along I might have a fan of my own by now. smiley-wink

• Members
Great story. As an aside, I love Zion National Park. Have you hit Bryce Canyon as well?

Yes, we have been to Bryce and Kodachrome Basin and Moab and Canyonlands. Really loved the cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde. We had also been to Zion before but this trip was expressly for hiking some of the slot canyons

P1010440_zps063455b3.jpg

They don't make them like you anymore, Freeman.

...wait, you built a Les Paul?!? When did this happen?

Thanks both to Marshall and you Neil. Yeah, a couple of years ago, posted a long thread at the Electric forum under Home Made Les Paul. Looks sorta like this

eede829b-4946-4df6-b9b1-af6aba4c30af_zps867ac584.jpg

• Members

Thanks for pointing me toward that Les Paul build thread, Freeman. Along the way I'd forgotten how many builds you had done. You are way too modest about your skills because I'd have vainly considered myself qualified if I'd completed just one build. Now I need to do more.

First thing's first I need to cancel the cable and drop my iPhone into the confluence of the three rivers. I don't need any more distractions.

• Members
Thanks for pointing me toward that Les Paul build thread, Freeman. Along the way I'd forgotten how many builds you had done. You are way too modest about your skills because I'd have vainly considered myself qualified if I'd completed just one build. Now I need to do more.

First thing's first I need to cancel the cable and drop my iPhone into the confluence of the three rivers. I don't need any more distractions.

Cable, yes, and your phone has an off switch. But you also have many more responsibilities with your family - I am humbled by the things you do for your son. There will be time to build guitars and time to play them, keep things in the right order.

• Members

You're right, Freeman. I just got the iPhone 5S and Siri is soooo sexy! ;o)

FWIW I've tried to get my younger one interested. He loses interest quickly; you know how it is with little ones: you have to think ahead and do whatever to make it fun. Here he is making a momento on the UTB on my build. Sadly, the crayon impression has all but faded.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/nkwak/2011-10-18110016.jpg

Instead, I think I need to get him interested in something else that I used to love to do much more: bicycling. We live near a converted rail line that goes through some nice countryside:

121FADA3_zps0a3f3235.jpg

72E16D2C_zps9838c5bf.jpg

846822B9_zps9f485929.jpg

B8E7CBF6_zps2a61daf8.jpg

I don't do it nearly as much as I used to and nearly killed myself by riding 30 miles without taking along any water. With my kids, I'm very hesitant to take them out in public. I don't really want to get into the reasons why but the situation is being addressed and I have plans...

As for the kids, the older one has autism (who as I've shared is nonverbal, mentally retarded and not fully potty trained) and likes to "explore" after I took him trick or treating for Halloween one year. It's going to take a lot of work but one of my dream is that one day I can get him to go for rides with me. If not a bicycle (because of his motor challenges) then maybe some sort of recumbent tricycle. He's got one of those scooters that you sit on and move by wiggling your hips but they're no good on gravel paths. My younger one is outgrowing his bike that our neighbors donated and I think it's high time the training wheels came off.

I also miss boating and the kids love playing in water. I grew up canoeing and sailing a Minifish but there's nothing but rivers around here.

• Members

Yes, we have been to Bryce and Kodachrome Basin and Moab and Canyonlands. Really loved the cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde. We had also been to Zion before but this trip was expressly for hiking some of the slot canyons

P1010440_zps063455b3.jpg

Hey, that's The Narrows; isn't it?

Hiked that a few years ago.

The creamy caramel burst on that Les Paul is simply gorgeous, Mr. Keller. Nice work.

You all have a happy fourth; ya hear?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
For the past few weeks we've been on a long road trip - climbing in Idaho, canyoneering in Utah, then up to Oregon for some family stuff. Most of the time we've been car camping and I brought along an old guitar - just couldn't go three weeks without touching strings.

We were camped in Zion park and after dinner I was nursing an IPA and picking some blues when I looked up and saw a young man, maybe 15 or 16, standing outside of our camp site, watching me play. When he saw me looking at him he slowly approached and asked "can I sit here and listen to you?". "Of course" I said, "do you play". He answered "I've got a guitar and I'm going to learn".

I asked him what kind of music he listened to - he named some groups or people I had never heard of (surprise). I told him I had been influenced by Dylan and Eric Clapton and Dave Mathews (I knew he wouldn't recognize any of my true influences) - he said he had heard of some of them. I played a couple of Clapton songs, Tears in Heaven, Alberta maybe, and he said he really liked that. I handed him the guitar and he played a few one string lines - obviously pretty new to the whole game - then he asked if it was necessary to learn chords.

I took the guitar back and played Tears again, naming the chords as I played them. I showed him how I could either strum the rhythm part or play finger style with the melody on top. I also told him that if he learned the scales that went along with the chords he could play a lead line - suggested that was how Clapton did his solos. We chatted for a while longer and I noodled around, then he looked up and realized that it was pretty late. "I'd better get back to my camp", he said, "mom might get mad". He thanked me and disappeared into the shadows.

My wife looked at me and said "that was awfully sweet, you know". I said, "yeah, my first fan"

Not only that, you may have inspired a future musician. He'll remember that moment for the rest of his life !!!!

Archived