Age?

Idunno

• Members

These days I have a new phenomena that's presented itself. My thumb locks out. I can be picking along and without pain or other indication the last joint on my thumb just locks out. It will not bend. Very odd. I have to crack it with my other hand to free it up. That smarts a bit. It isn't so much an impedance to playing, because there's no great flexing of that joint during play anyway, but I was just curious if this is something anyone else experiences. I thought maybe it's due to wearing a thumb pick for so long. I wear one so much my thumb nail has grown a shallow trough where the blunt end of the pinch band sits. It doesn't happen to my fretting hand. When I can bend it normally that joint clicks now. WD40?

• Members
I get all sorts of weird cramps and pains in all of my digits - seems to happen more when I'm dehydrated but yeah' date=' that seems to be part of aging. Along with some other things..... what were we talking about?[/quote']

who are you and how in the hell did you get in my TV?

• Members
These days I have a new phenomena that's presented itself. My thumb locks out. I can be picking along and without pain or other indication the last joint on my thumb just locks out. It will not bend. . . .

It happened to me a few years ago - but it was on my fretting hand. I put it down to the fact that I'd spent a week fitting new kitchen units and I'd done a lot of twisting movements levelling them off etc and the injury was due to strain.

It lasted a couple of months - the bonus was that I had to use barre chords instead of thumb-overs - good thing to do now and again.

• Members

It's a constant thing now with me, going on a couple years, no worse now than when it 1st appeared.

Young, dumb and invincible. Immortal, too. I had a couple riders blow past me today on the highway. One passed a coat of paint away when going by. All I could think of was the lunacy of that moment and the fact that I used to do the same thing when I was new.

• Members

At 65 this has been happening to me for about 6 years. It occurs more often when I do strenuous things. It has been very bad for my guitar playing. No cure. Maybe soaking your hand inhot water before playing might help. I notice it is much worse when it is cold out.

Big Al

• Members

Al, cold is not a place you will find me ever again. I left that nonsense back in '85. That's for other people to enjoy.

I've been soaking these mitts in hot water before playing for about 6 years now. A lifetime as a mechanic has rendered them hurtful and without the full dexterity I used to have. Trying to pick a penny off a table 1st thing in the morning is a fete for me, and probably entertaining to watch as I go through a choreography of facial expressions, swearing and using my hand like the claw at an arcade. So, hot water brings them back to life.

• Members
At 65 this has been happening to me for about 6 years. It occurs more often when I do strenuous things. It has been very bad for my guitar playing. No cure. Maybe soaking your hand inhot water before playing might help. I notice it is much worse when it is cold out.

Big Al

Second that on warm water. Check the tension level in your forearms and hands. I've found getting the blood moving with exercise can help.

• Members

I've had this happen to me on occasion, though, thankfully, not very often. It's mostly the thumb, but the other fingers seem to be paralyzed as well. I have to manually bend them with my right hand. It doesn't last very long, but it's pretty scary for those few seconds.

I have no idea what causes it. Circulation trouble, perhaps?

• Members

No real finger problems other than fatigue from being over-worked lately. That's a temporary job, though, so I expect the hands to be okay in a couple weeks. As it is now I'd bet I couldn't pick a quarter up off a flat surface. Serious hand balloonage going on. Better illustrated, I can't touch my little finger and thumb on either hand as I type this. Hot water soak helps.

• Members

At least you can remember chords. My fingers dont {censored} with me but my memory does after my Heart Attack, {censored} I used to play without thought, is gone. I had to re-learn basic stuff, like the name of the chords etc. Be thankful its only a finger and not your brain!

• Members

Hell yes you damn fucking well can too.

Yo, vitriolic sociopath and tantrumist, your accuser has left the building. Unless you like the titles I'd say it's time to give someone else some room in your sig. Just sayin'.

Archived