May V.O.M.! Post recordings to share here all weekend!

Michael Martin

• Members

I woulda started this last night, but HC disowned me again and had to do the new password thing. Aaaarrrrgh.

Well anyway. Here's me and the band doing an Abigail Washburn song, "City of Refuge". She plays it clawhammer banjo style; I sort of Pete Townshended it. I saw her recently when she opened for Bela Fleck--did not realize they were husband and wife. It was a good show, although I wish the show had included more of her. She's an amazing singer. This was the song she opened with.

8ba035aa1d34e48cf7a63d3651f000ca.thumb.jpg.ed307b32ebc50676adc5270bc73e44c3.jpg

• Members

Covering Stephen Stills this time around. One take about a half hour ago -

Edit to add: This was recorded with a Zoom H4 about 16 inches away pointed at the 12th fret. Strings are D'Addario EJ16s on a Goodall RCJC. Uploaded to Garage Band and there I had to "EQ" the voice because the guitar dominated. No other effects used.

https://app.box.com/s/32b7ufvlx84nd7dcafkz

• Members

QUOTE=Michael Martin;n31150855]

Really nice guitar and vocal Id! I have always loved that song. It would be cool to play it with you and try to harmonize a vocal part. Although I would have to go lower rather than higher.

Thanks.

If you have the time I'm in. Last time I collaborated on a song was with RT1. He did all the work because I was not studio savvy. I'm still not so the best I can do is send a cd and the rest is on you. Probably best that way from what I've heard from you.

• Members
If you have the time I'm in. Last time I collaborated on a song was with RT1. He did all the work because I was not studio savvy. I'm still not so the best I can do is send a cd and the rest is on you. Probably best that way from what I've heard from you.

I just downloaded the mp3. Never done this before, but maybe I can figure out a way to overdub on it. If anyone has suggestions, please advise! BTW I typically record onto a Fostex VF80 8-track, or a Zoom H2. I have a laptop with Garageband and Audacity, but I don't have a USB mike.

Edit: Isn't there a way to turn the H2 into a USB mike?

• Members

The H4 allows you to run it into the USB. It has to be switched off first. The USB port fires it up and gives you two choices -

1. I/O device, or

2. Connect to the computer

A. Turn the Zoom off and hook it up to the USB port. It will come on and give you the above choices.

B. On the H4 there's a spring-loaded wheel on one side that's rotated to put the curser on either of the above choices. Once set to the choice, pushing inwardly on the wheel selects the choice. If you want the I/O option it becomes an interface utilizing either the onboard mics or external mics you plug into it.

C. Get your DAW set up and choose line in (the Zoom) for your input device. This will set it as an interface, or -

D. If you choose to "connect it to the computer" it will place a docking icon on the monitor screen that you can open and drag your recordings from directly into the DAW software track.

I don't know if the H2 has the above capability.

• Members

Bugger, missed the VOM this time. Ah well - I'll have to buckle down and get something done for next time.

I don't usually comment on individual submissions - everyone does so well - but this time I have to mention Joe's rendition of "Helplessly Hoping"- absolutely outstanding.

• Members

Michael Martin - Nicely done. Their voices blend well. Miss your originals though.

Sangemon - Nice job. I hadn't heard that one before.

Gary Blanchard - Enjoyed the song but the vid was a bit much for my old fogey tastes. I see you're apparently enjoying your Luna.

• Members
Bugger, missed the VOM this time. Ah well - I'll have to buckle down and get something done for next time.

I don't usually comment on individual submissions - everyone does so well - but this time I have to mention Joe's rendition of "Helplessly Hoping"- absolutely outstanding.

Hey man post a song! I declare it officially still open! We need you.

Archived