Why so cheap?

acousticdepot

• Members

Maybe they sound like crap and are being blown out at cost.

Phosphor bronze strings are a bit dull sounding to me....like old strings where the shimmer is gone. They have a strong fundamental and are good for taming an overly bright guitar like maybe a Taylor. Adding a coating to them might dull the sound that much more. Not that that sound doesn't have its place. Maybe for country blues where you want a dull raw sound.

$2 a set is typical if you buy strings in bulk. There used to be a web site where you could buy 48 sets for $100 shipped. Typically Martin strings but I scored some D'Addario's once on Ebay that way.

• Members

You all live somewhere...whoops I take this back (Sorry Guitarcapo). I was going to write you all must live somewhere out in the boonies since local shops near me range from $5-10 for a set of strings and once in a while, like a couple years ago, I bought five sets of D'Addario strings and it had a bonus tuner in a pack at a Guitar Center (nearest still like 20 miles for me), for like $20 USD. So five sets of premium strings, plus this little pick shaped strobo-tuner, it was a great deal.

• Members
You all live somewhere...whoops I take this back (Sorry Guitarcapo). I was going to write you all must live somewhere out in the boonies since local shops near me range from $5-10 for a set of strings and once in a while' date=' like a couple years ago, I bought five sets of D'Addario strings and it had a bonus tuner in a pack at a Guitar Center (nearest still like 20 miles for me), for like $20 USD. So five sets of premium strings, plus this little pick shaped strobo-tuner, it was a great deal.[/quote'] You aren't paying that much for EXPs. Are you?

• Members
what so special about them and why should they be more expensive?

i ask, cause i'm happy with standard d'addarios for $5 a pack and never used something else so i have no clue....

EXPs are coated ... like elixirs ... I keep them on my guitars for months and in some cases an entire year. Although I don't think they last as long as elixirs ... they sound warmer on a few of my guitars.

• Members

EXPs are coated ... like elixirs ... I keep them on my guitars for months and in some cases an entire year. Although I don't think they last as long as elixirs ... they sound warmer on a few of my guitars.

would that help against fretting noise?

when i lately started recording a bit acoustic guitar, i realized how much noise my "playing style" has, while changing chords and moving frets up and down

• Members

would that help against fretting noise?

when i lately started recording a bit acoustic guitar, i realized how much noise my "playing style" has, while changing chords and moving frets up and down

It might help a bit. Changing your playing style would help more. Flats or semi-flats (i.e., d'Addario Flat Tops) would probably help too. FWIW, I tried Flat Tops and was disappointed. Your Mileage May Vary.

• Members
would that help against fretting noise? when i lately started recording a bit acoustic guitar' date=' i realized how much noise my "playing style" has, while changing chords and moving frets up and down[/quote'] If you mean that squeaking noise when you slide your hand on the strings between chord changes ... especially when going up and down the neck ... then yes I think it helps.

• Members

i never cared for the squeaking fretting noise over 20 years, but i also never recorded something with a high quality condenser mic in this time :)

now every little squeak becomes annyoing

and a playing style which tries to avoid every little squeak makes no fun playing, especially for guy as sloppy as i am :)

• Members

It might help a bit. Changing your playing style would help more. Flats or semi-flats (i.e., d'Addario Flat Tops) would probably help too. FWIW, I tried Flat Tops and was disappointed. Your Mileage May Vary.

D'Addario has an oval-wound string that has good sustain, good tone, and they last a good while-- and they produce a lot less noise sliding up and down the neck.

• Members

D'Addario has an oval-wound string that has good sustain, good tone, and they last a good while-- and they produce a lot less noise sliding up and down the neck.

that sounds interesting... worth a try...

Archived