Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so cheap?

Why are these so cheap? What am I missing here? I realize that with shipping it's like 7 bucks ...but still seems low.
    Amazon.com: D'Addario EXP17 Coated Phosphor Acoustic Guitar Strings, Medium, 13-56: Musical Instruments
    Bob.
    Martin HD35 | Gibson J45tv | Taylor DN3 | Guild GAD25 | Taylor Baby | Yamaha FG413SBD | Yamaha FG200

Maybe they sound like crap and are being blown out at cost.

Phosphor bronze strings are a bit dull sounding to me....like old strings where the shimmer is gone. They have a strong fundamental and are good for taming an overly bright guitar like maybe a Taylor. Adding a coating to them might dull the sound that much more. Not that that sound doesn't have its place. Maybe for country blues where you want a dull raw sound.

$2 a set is typical if you buy strings in bulk. There used to be a web site where you could buy 48 sets for $100 shipped. Typically Martin strings but I scored some D'Addario's once on Ebay that way.
    "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

You all live somewhere...whoops I take this back (Sorry Guitarcapo). I was going to write you all must live somewhere out in the boonies since local shops near me range from $5-10 for a set of strings and once in a while, like a couple years ago, I bought five sets of D'Addario strings and it had a bonus tuner in a pack at a Guitar Center (nearest still like 20 miles for me), for like $20 USD. So five sets of premium strings, plus this little pick shaped strobo-tuner, it was a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by JBbitchin View Post
        You all live somewhere...whoops I take this back (Sorry Guitarcapo). I was going to write you all must live somewhere out in the boonies since local shops near me range from $5-10 for a set of strings and once in a while, like a couple years ago, I bought five sets of D'Addario strings and it had a bonus tuner in a pack at a Guitar Center (nearest still like 20 miles for me), for like $20 USD. So five sets of premium strings, plus this little pick shaped strobo-tuner, it was a great deal.
        You aren't paying that much for EXPs. Are you?
        Bob.
        Martin HD35 | Gibson J45tv | Taylor DN3 | Guild GAD25 | Taylor Baby | Yamaha FG413SBD | Yamaha FG200

Comment

what so special about them and why should they be more expensive?

i ask, cause i'm happy with standard d'addarios for $5 a pack and never used something else so i have no clue....

Comment

Martin Phosphor Bronze (or 80/20) acoustic guitar strings in bulk.

$120 for 48 sets....comes to $2.50 a set and I didn't even look very hard. They used to be $100. I haven't bought in a while.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/bulk...n-strings.html
            "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Just got the 3 dollar special today. They appear to be the real deal all the normal packaging ect. I haven't strung them up but not a bad deal.
              2008 Guild F-50
              2007 Blueridge BR-140
              2013 J45
              2013 CA Cargo

Comment

Originally posted by t_e_l_e View Post
                what so special about them and why should they be more expensive?

i ask, cause i'm happy with standard d'addarios for $5 a pack and never used something else so i have no clue....
                EXPs are coated ... like elixirs ... I keep them on my guitars for months and in some cases an entire year. Although I don't think they last as long as elixirs ... they sound warmer on a few of my guitars.
                Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by missedmyexit View Post
                  Just got the 3 dollar special today. They appear to be the real deal all the normal packaging ect. I haven't strung them up but not a bad deal.
                  Really! ... I passed and ended up spending 11/12 at another site.
                  Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticdepot View Post

EXPs are coated ... like elixirs ... I keep them on my guitars for months and in some cases an entire year. Although I don't think they last as long as elixirs ... they sound warmer on a few of my guitars.
                    would that help against fretting noise?
                    when i lately started recording a bit acoustic guitar, i realized how much noise my "playing style" has, while changing chords and moving frets up and down

Comment

would that help against fretting noise?
                      when i lately started recording a bit acoustic guitar, i realized how much noise my "playing style" has, while changing chords and moving frets up and down
                      It might help a bit. Changing your playing style would help more. Flats or semi-flats (i.e., d'Addario Flat Tops) would probably help too. FWIW, I tried Flat Tops and was disappointed. Your Mileage May Vary.
                      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

would that help against fretting noise? when i lately started recording a bit acoustic guitar, i realized how much noise my "playing style" has, while changing chords and moving frets up and down
                        If you mean that squeaking noise when you slide your hand on the strings between chord changes ... especially when going up and down the neck ... then yes I think it helps.
                        Bob.

Comment

Don't have a problem with fretting noise. It's part of the character of playing acoustic guitar. Can't sanitize everything, or maybe shouldn't.
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

i never cared for the squeaking fretting noise over 20 years, but i also never recorded something with a high quality condenser mic in this time
                            now every little squeak becomes annyoing
                            and a playing style which tries to avoid every little squeak makes no fun playing, especially for guy as sloppy as i am

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                              It might help a bit. Changing your playing style would help more. Flats or semi-flats (i.e., d'Addario Flat Tops) would probably help too. FWIW, I tried Flat Tops and was disappointed. Your Mileage May Vary.
                              D'Addario has an oval-wound string that has good sustain, good tone, and they last a good while-- and they produce a lot less noise sliding up and down the neck.
                              The secret of man's creative power is imagination.

Comment

Working...
                              X