New Song in progress let me know what you think

missedmyexit

• Members

<<<<<<<<<<< mostly

Story-wise, trying to gauge whether this one is sitting in the crosshairs of parody or from the heart of a plug chewin', dust kickin', spur wearin' redneck yearning for doggone days gone by.

Ear-wise, pretty cool structure and the right mix of stuff, I suppose, but the lead is kinda harsh and, along with the vocals, a little too close in the mix. Melody is catchy. IOW, a few technical kinks to work out.

• Members
<<<<<<<<<<< mostly

Story-wise, trying to gauge whether this one is sitting in the crosshairs of parody or from the heart of a plug chewin', dust kickin', spur wearin' redneck yearning for doggone days gone by.

Ear-wise, pretty cool structure and the right mix of stuff, I suppose, but the lead is kinda harsh and, along with the vocals, a little too close in the mix. Melody is catchy. IOW, a few technical kinks to work out.

Thanks for the feedback. As far as the parody question it's somewhere in the middle. I grew up listening to all kinds of music and some old country merl, cash Nelson ect but didn't listen to any new stuff in the last 15 years. Moved into the sticks where the only station you get is Country and found most of the lyrics turned into a frat house story.

Anyways put a new version with a softer lead. What do you mean by too close in the mix? The new version is in the same location.

• Members
Love it! The J45 sounds like a 12 string. I might bring the vocals up more. It's kind of an in your face type of song ... so the vocals have to have a little bit of attitude. Nice job.

Thanks for feedback. You aren't the first to point out the vocals needs some more attitude. Trying to work that out singing isn't something I am particularly good at but going to give it another go over the weekend. Thanks for listening. Wondering if the 12 string sound might be a pleasant side effect of how I recorded it. Did it one take but MICed and plugged each on their own track. The Miced track came in a bit on the treble side so I favored the pickup in the mix.

• Members
Love it! The J45 sounds like a 12 string. I might bring the vocals up more. It's kind of an in your face type of song ... so the vocals have to have a little bit of attitude. Nice job.

Thanks for feedback. You aren't the first to point out the vocals needs some more attitude. Trying to work that out singing isn't something I am particularly good at but going to give it another go over the weekend. Thanks for listening. Wondering if the 12 string sound might be a pleasant side effect of how I recorded it. Did it one take but MICed and plugged each on their own track. The Miced track came in a bit on the treble side so I favored the pickup in the mix.

• Members

It's really musically tight sounding. I LOVE the sound and tone of the acoustic. I wonder what the lead would sound like instead of the softer tone as it is, with a little edgier single coil sound of a Telecaster? Just a curiosity. The lyrics are a little cutesy redneckity, but that is what it is, right? Nicely done. I wonder if the double micing gave it that almost 12 string quality in spots, Acousticdepot spoke of..?

Doesn't sound like my 12 string, but I can see where he felt that from.

• Members
It's really musically tight sounding. I LOVE the sound and tone of the acoustic. I wonder what the lead would sound like instead of the softer tone as it is, with a little edgier single coil sound of a Telecaster? Just a curiosity. The lyrics are a little cutesy redneckity, but that is what it is, right? Nicely done. I wonder if the double micing gave it that almost 12 string quality in spots, Acousticdepot spoke of..?

Doesn't sound like my 12 string, but I can see where he felt that from.

Thanks, I tried the single coil tele for the first couple versions but it sounded harsh in comparison to the acoustic. It really jumped out of the mix. Maybe need to find a nice middle ground.

• Members

. . . . You aren't the first to point out the vocals needs some more attitude. Trying to work that out singing isn't something I am particularly good at but going to give it another go over the weekend. . . .

Good stuff. Try it again a couple of semitones higher - the vocals will sound better..

Archived