Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

The Martin D-28

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice long condescending spiel that said nothing anyone didn't already know, but did make several declarations about what I believe, which you know nothing about, and which are false.

Ask any competent luthier and he/she will tell you. The guitar's structure is a compromise between flexibility to conduct sound, and strength to stand the pressures and tensions over the years. You build too lightly, and the structure may initially produce more or better sound, but eventually, it will yield to the tension of the strings. Nothing more, nothing less. This is true for Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Guilds, Zagers, Estebans, whatever. No guitar maker yet has been able to engineer that mythical quality of sound that time and use brings, into a guitar.

Get over it. You made a claim you can't back up.
    Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

Whatever. Some people can't accept any information other than what they believe and consider any new information condescending.

Martin has made many changes to their bracing and design over the years. Some good. Some bad. The changes were sometimes for good and sometimes for bad by everyone's admission except yours (including Martin's or else why would they change things?)

If you overbuild a top it sounds bad. If you underbuild a top it can fail structurally.... but can also sound bad in the way I described without failing structurally.

That's all I'm saying. BTW I've built about 12 acoustics over the years and repaired a few dozen more.

I agree with you that it's impossible to engineer a "mythical quality of sound"....precisely because it's a myth.
      Originally Posted by DToad:

Lets face it- today's GOP is all about the richest one percent exploiting the dumbest fifty percent.

Comment

Which Martins were the ones that the Beatles and jimmy page, played?

Comment

If I remember right, the D35 was originally created because of the Brazillian Rosewood shortage. Scrap was able to be used to make the 3 piece back, conserving total usage of rosewood. The bling was added to make it more sellable.

Big Al
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Instruments:<br><br><br ><br>Luthier (Antonio Aparicio AA100) LU105 Classical<br>Custom Dreadnaught Solid Hog b&amp;s<br>Mastercraft Bluegrass Mahogany Banjo<br>Ibanez ART100 All White Lektickel Guitar</div><br>Blueridge BR143 spruce top solid hog back and sides

Comment

Originally posted by bigald18 View Post
            If I remember right, the D35 was originally created because of the Brazillian Rosewood shortage. Scrap was able to be used to make the 3 piece back, conserving total usage of rosewood. The bling was added to make it more sellable.

Big Al
            Correct. I have to guess that Martin used the thinner 1/4 inch top bracing to compensate for the extra bracing required on the back. Created a nice sound in doing so, but the D-35's, and especially the HD-35's with scalloped 1/4 inch bracing are more prone to structural issues because of this. If you ever notice, the lighter braced Martins always cost a bit more. Martin has statistically calculated the anticipated future warranty claims into the cost of building lighter.
            Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

Working...
            X