Please save me some time, and pick an acoustic guitar for me.

Cougher

• Members

Hello everyone. Before I ask for a recommendation, a disclaimer. Please don't tell me, "It's all a personal preference", because I know it is. I have played guitar for 13 years (around the time I joined this forum!)

I am looking for what the most commonly recommended, "can't-go-wrong" suggestions here are on HC without searching the forum for hours. Sorry to be blunt, but hopefully you can help me!

I need to buy an acoustic/electric guitar for under $800 new. I prefer really light action (which I know has more to do with the setup) but perhaps a thinner neck too? Reasoning is, I have thumb pain while playing acoustics for extended periods at times. From going to the stores, I have also found that I like the sound of Taylor's. Something about their presence, and brightness. But I don't want to limit my selection to just Taylors, because again, it wouldn't matter how bright it is if the pickup is doing the work when playing live. So my question again: Are there some universal recommendations here on HC for acoustic electrics under $800 that I should consider to hunt out and play? I don't mind the body shape, however I would like a cutaway. Thank you so much!

• Members

Okay, I won't give you the "personal preference" speech, but you got to give us more to go on. Like...

Do you generally favor mahogany or rosewood sound?

What style of music are you playing these days? (Some guitars are better for jazz, bluegrass blues etc...)

Flatpicker. Strummer or FIngerstyle?

What width nut is your comfort zone?

• Members
Okay, I won't give you the "personal preference" speech, but you got to give us more to go on. Like...

Do you generally favor mahogany or rosewood sound?

What style of music are you playing these days? (Some guitars are better for jazz, bluegrass blues etc...)

Flatpicker. Strummer or FIngerstyle?

What width nut is your comfort zone?

Thank you! Was just trying to save some time because I need to buy a guitar for some upcoming gigs. I play a lot of heavy strumming- minimal fingerstyle. Not sure about wood sounds or width nuts, haven't been showed the differences in person before. I did mean Taylor guitars BTW. I like them- but didn't want to limit myself if there happened to be some common suggestions here. I enjoy playing open sounding chords- I like it to have a lot of "body" but also with a lot of presence.

• Members

I hate stereotypes, but I put Taylors in the "modern sound" camp as opposed to the Martin "traditional sound". That means they tend to be a little brighter sounding with more "complexity" (I also hate trying to describe nuances of sound with words). Unfortunately there aren't very many Taylor models in your price range - the 1xx and 2xx series have never really impressed me that much but those are pretty much your choices.

There are some very good Martin clones on the market that fit your price point - Blueridge seems to be a very good bang for the buck guitar and Maury's has on line sound clips of many of their models. However if you like the Taylor sound these may not be your cup of tea.

Yamaha's have a big following on this forum - I don't have a lot of experience with them so I can't comment. One guitar that is slightly off the radar is Carvins acoustics - a singer/songwriter friend has a C980 (I think that's the model) which sounds very nice plugged in and has the slim neck that might appeal to an electric player. You can't try Carvins in any stores but you can return them up to 30 days - all you would be out is the shipping. Breedlove is another brand of contemporary guitar - they have some PacRim models that should fit your needs.

I'll also add that I think that its crazy to spend 800 bucks on a guitar without going out and trying everything in that price range (go up to a grand on the hang tag price, there might be some wiggle room). Let your ears and fingers guide you - not the opinions of a bunch of people who you've never met. There are just too many great guitars out there - find the one that calls to you.

• Members
One thing I can say with certainty. There will be NO "universal recommendations here on HC for acoustic electrics under $800." Lotsa opinions here.

You asked not to say "It's all a personal preference", but too bad, because it is "all a personal preference". Size, shape, scale length, wood type, fingerstyle or flatpicked, etc.. That part is up to you.

If it were me, I would look at what Taylor is offering, although I suspect that you're going to have to spend a bit over $800 to get into their "better" line (the 300 series or better).

This. Then, anything at or below $800.00 new. Then, anything at or below $800.00 used. To be more specific, you might try the contents of the acoustic rooms of GC or Sam Ash for starters for narrowing down personal preferences. Oh wait, I guess you did mention not wanting to use your own personal preference angle. Disregard.

• Members

Yamaha FG-300 from the 70's can be had on eBay for several hundred, and then have a pickup installed. I use Fishman Rare Earth Single Coil.

The guitar is a canon.

If I see one more Taylor cutaway Im gonna hurl.

• Members
Hello everyone.. . .

I need to buy an acoustic/electric guitar for under $800 new.. . .

. . . . I have also found that I like the sound of Taylor's.. . .

If you like Taylor guitars but want something cheaper you should take a look at Crafter guitars. They are very, very similar to Taylors in looks, sound and playabilty - excellent top quality, well made guitars and, spec for spec they will cost from 1/3 to 1/2 the price of an equivalent Taylor.

• Members

With thanks! Appeared becoming simply seeking to assist saving time for the reason that I must obtain a electric guitar for a few potential gigs. When i enjoy numerous large strumming- lowest fingerstyle. Undecided pertaining to wooden appears to be together with dimension loco, didn't been confirmed this particular different versions face-to-face just before. Used to do thus imply Taylor a variety of instruments FURTHERMORE. I love them- however did not need to minimize everyone in case now there been numerous typical thoughts the following. I enjoy participating in available title connected with chords- I love this particular experiencing lots of "body" and also in addition to numerous user profile.

• Members
With thanks! Appeared becoming simply seeking to assist saving time for the reason that I must obtain a electric guitar for a few potential gigs. When i enjoy numerous large strumming- lowest fingerstyle. Undecided pertaining to wooden appears to be together with dimension loco' date=' didn't been confirmed this particular different versions face-to-face just before. Used to do thus imply Taylor a variety of instruments FURTHERMORE. I love them- however did not need to minimize everyone in case now there been numerous typical thoughts the following. I enjoy participating in available title connected with chords- I love this particular experiencing lots of "body" and also in addition to numerous user profile.[/quote']

Ummm...no it be doesn't!

• Members

Hi guys- I bought a brand new Taylor 314CE for $1444, and a Fishman Loudbox Mini, for $299, both at guitar center. I talked them down on both, from $1699, and $329 respectively. I love it! Thanks for all of your help.

• Members
So much for that $800 budget. eekphil Ya done good! philthumb

Haha! Yes, I don't know what I was thinking. I already purchased a bone saddle and pins from Bob Colosi, and some nickel Gotoh 510 21:1 tuners from JAParts, to top it off. I can't believe the attention to detail on a mass produced guitar. Everything is perfect. Perfectly rounded and shaped, no hard edges of anything. I suppose that's part of the reason Taylor has got a good name. Obviously the sound helps a bit too :) My one complaint- the action is too high for my liking in the higher fret area. Not too much of a problem because I will be having a tech set it up with the rest of my goodies. Now the ol' Washburn is up on eBay....

• Members

Please explain!

Nothing personal. Reading this thread only made me think of back a few years ago when times on this site were really good and the place was a lot more fun. I apologize for the nostalgia on your thread, but there were a couple of comments that drew me in that direction, as it were. That is all.

I'm glad you got a nice guitar and amp. I personally think you did good. I am a Taylor fan and I like the Loudbox, though I don't own one personally. Used to, people would give you $#!+ on here just for mentioning Taylor guitars. It's no biggie. I always saw that as just a way of having fun. Several Martin snobs on here as well, LOL.

I sold my Martin, but I kept my Taylor. It sounds a lot nicer.

• Members

I'll back Taylor conditionally (414CE). Otherwise I've come to play all other brands in the same fashion (model specific only). I'm a loyal Gibson basher (it's a personal thing) but recently played a J35 that made me STFU for a minute or two. Then, a J45 brought me back to my senses.

It's all good, though, if you came away satisfied sight, sound and wallet-wise.

• Members

Nothing personal. Reading this thread only made me think of back a few years ago when times on this site were really good and the place was a lot more fun. I apologize for the nostalgia on your thread, but there were a couple of comments that drew me in that direction, as it were. That is all.

I'm glad you got a nice guitar and amp. I personally think you did good. I am a Taylor fan and I like the Loudbox, though I don't own one personally. Used to, people would give you $#!+ on here just for mentioning Taylor guitars. It's no biggie. I always saw that as just a way of having fun. Several Martin snobs on here as well, LOL.

I sold my Martin, but I kept my Taylor. It sounds a lot nicer.

No need to apologize- It must feel like 2006 because we are like relics here at HC...! Speaking of missing the "good ol' days", the "new" forum layout is pretty painful. I remember when they tried a new forum layout and reverted to the old styling due to complaints. I wonder what I missed since then where everyone is stuck in this mess. Am I missing something, or is "Google Site Search" the only search function we have now?

• Members

Here's how she sounds guys.... sorry for you purists, it's got chorus and reverb through the loudbox mini... and yes I double tracked the solo over myself. In a new post I'm going to do a "before and after" of the regular organic tone with Tusq vs. Bob Colossi's bone saddle.

Archived