April V.O.M.! Post recordings here all weekend!

Michael Martin

• Members

Here's mine. It's a demo of my band doing "Kiss Me", a song by Sixpence None the Richer. I recorded the band live on two tracks in an empty auditorium, Molly and Mo each into a separate mike/track but standing right next to each other. Kyle's cajon and my guitar are in the background of those tracks, but then later I overdubbed another guitar on a third track at home because the first guitar was too backgroundy. In both cases the guitar is my Martin 00XCAE, unplugged. Also added a tambourine track at home, so 4 tracks in all. Recorded on a Fostex VF80. Mikes are AT2020s.

https://soundcloud.com/mdmartin/kiss-me

• Members

Hi guys,

Well I haven't VOMMIT'd here in such a long time. :) I've been so awfully busy, but a really good busy.

I started a virtual online band called N-Compass about a year ago and we have been creating original music. It's been a lot of fun, a lot of work and a huge learning experience.

None of us are from the same country. (Hence the name...) James from Great Britain, Stephen from Australia, Albert from Germany, and me from Dallas Texas, USA. We use Kompoz.com to facilitate the collaborations. If you've never checked out the site, give it a look. I'm so glad I stumbled across it.

So here is our latest piece. The Many Reasons Why.

I wrote this song while struggling to come to terms with a past hurt. It took me a while to realize that "getting over something" takes time....but starts from within. Funny ...50 years old and I'm still learning new things. I guess that's a good thing. :)

Credits:

Chris Carnucci - Lyrics, Lead Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Orchestration

Stephen Wilcox - Backup Vocals, Lead Guitar

Albert Plasma - Piano, Drums

James Fraser - Bouzouki, Penny Whistle, Bass

• Members

Felt a bit warped, so just be glad I didn't make a video of this...

It kinda answers the off-asked, but, until now, never adequately answered question: What would Clapton sound like, if he had listened to Woody Guthrie more than Robert Johnson?...

Taylor 355 12-string, Hohner Big River Harp (in a modified Lee Oskar rack), "Delta Drum Set" (foot activated washboard/stomp board), Shure SM-58, the last couple seconds due to sloppy editing...

• Members

Michael....Really nice recording. I could listen to girls harmonize all day long. And a really good job layering in the guitar. It all mixes well. I notice you now live in Rome? If I remember correctly you just used to visit there. Am I right, did you make the big move?

• Members
Cripes' date=' Idunno... That is some **************** hot guitar playing! [/quote'] Ditto.....that is some awesome stuff. Not just the playing but the arrangement too. I love they way it keeps moving from phrase to phrase. And the guitar tone is dope! Such a clear recording. Sounds professional.

• Members

I

Michael....Really nice recording. I could listen to girls harmonize all day long. And a really good job layering in the guitar. It all mixes well. I notice you now live in Rome? If I remember correctly you just used to visit there. Am I right' date=' did you make the big move?[/quote']

Thanks Chris--so glad you are back on V.O.M. Thanks for your comments on the recording—I'm very fortunate in my bandmates!

Unfortunately, I only live in Rome in my heart's memory. I was there all summer in '10, '11 and '12, and might be back there January-May next year, if we get the enrollment (it's really $$$ for students).

• Members

James....very very cool rendition. I saw another critique that stated it sounds like a "civil war song". I agree, you gave it a very distinctive feel. So well done. I could easily see that as a soundtrack for a tv show or something.

• Members
Unfortunately' date=' I only live in Rome in my heart's memory. I was there all summer in '10, '11 and '12, and might be back there January-May next year, if we get the enrollment (it's really $$$ for students).[/quote'] oh too bad. Your avatar has you in Rome. Well at least you got to spend time there. Most of us never get that chance. I hope one day to see Europe.

• Members

Since my first April submission was my band, and was a cover, I'm taking the liberty of adding this--a song I wrote last year commemorating one of the four murder victims at last year's Boston Marathon. I've written over 160 songs and this is the only time I've written one about someone I've never met. I posted the original version of this on a V.O.M. last year. Hard to believe this happened a year ago this Tuesday.

This version just recorded today--a rainy-day experiment with a new intro. First two tracks were vocal and clean Strat straight into the Fostex (that's the buzz); added two Godin synth guitar tracks and one Hummingbird track.

https://soundcloud.com/mdmartin/lingzi

Lingzi

©MDM MMXIII

Boston girl/we hardly knew ye

One in a billion or so

Hands across the water

So far to come/so far to go

Beantown sidewalks quiet now

But my city not quite the same

No one ‘round here can forget your face

And we will always remember your name

Tears like rain fall/falling rain

Wash away the day

Into the streams and rivers

That cut the earth

And carve the rocks away

Tears like rain

Shenyang girl/they knew you so well

One in a billion or so

North bank of the river

There is a girl with a dream

All your city in bloom again

But springtime not quite the same

No one ‘round there can forget your face

And they will always remember your name

Tears like rain fall/falling rain

Wash away the day

Into the streams and rivers

That cut the earth

And carve the rocks away/remember

The Boston girl/she’s gone back home

Through tears that fall like rain

Tears like rain

• Members

Getting around to listening to all submissions. Working on the taxes at the moment and my current mood does not excite the musical muse in me.

Thanks for the listen and comments on my own submission. It's one I recorded some time back when I used fake nails of my own design that could shred some strings. That piece would rip my natural nails off in the 1st measure so I had to go all iron man on it. IIRC the strings were .013's.

• Members
Gary...it was really hard for me to make out all the words' date=' but what I could I liked. It had a really nice melody. I really wish I could hear it better ....it sounds like you have a little gem there.[/quote']

Thanks. Here are studio versions of the two songs:

http://www.reverbnation.com/garyblanchard/song/20418313-stardust-and-shadows

http://www.reverbnation.com/garyblanchard/song/20425694-the-heart-has-no-reason

• Members

Oh heck, I was listening this morning on my phone and I didn't even know there was two songs. But I sure enjoyed the studio versions of both songs. And I'm glad I got to hear the second one. I really like that tune! Just some pretty writing!

• Members

Oh heck, I was listening this morning on my phone and I didn't even know there was two songs. But I sure enjoyed the studio versions of both songs. And I'm glad I got to hear the second one. I really like that tune! Just some pretty writing!

Thanks. I have been writing a bit more lately (my songwriting goes in spurts) , and moving from a pure folk to I guess a "pop folk" sound. These are my two newest and I am rather happy with them.

Archived