What are the Elixir strings no longer sold by them because they lasted too long?

sigmadm5

• Members

I read on a forum that there is an Elixir string model, that they no longer offer, because they lasted too long.

Maybe they were the "Polywebs"?? The comment was made that Ebay is about the only place one could find them.

If there is someone who knows exactly which "model" of Elixirs that is?

Update on April 15 2014

Hello Musicians who replied:

I appreciate all your input and comments, BUUUUUUUT, no one really gave a direct answer to my question, as follows:

Is there an Elixir string that is NOT made any more, because they just lasted too long, and the company was not making $$$ on them, so they were discontinued?

If so, what is it called?

The comment on the blog where I read about this, said something to the effect, that they were getting replaced so infrequently, due to their long life span, that it didn't "pay" to make them anymore, people just were not replacing them.

• Members

The Polywebs are still available. I agree with Acousticdepot the nanos sound better and the flaking was an issue.

http://search.juststrings.com/search?catalog=juststrings&query=elixir+polyweb

I use the nano's myself 80/20's for my F50 and the PBs for everything else. They are crazy pricey but great strings and IMO last four times as long.

• Members

I agree they last longer than Nano's. I agree they sound worse. But I never experienced flaking. I might put a set on my Guild D60.

Then they'll sound old and I won't have to change them until next year.

For my guitars, D'Addario EXP's are a compromise between Nano's & Poly's.

• Members
I agree they last longer than Nano's. I agree they sound worse. But I never experienced flaking. I might put a set on my Guild D60.

Then they'll sound old and I won't have to change them until next year.

For my guitars, D'Addario EXP's are a compromise between Nano's & Poly's.

EXPs are great ... I use them on two guitars. Nanos on everything else. The EXPs are warmer than nano PBs in my opinion.

• Members
I read on a forum that there is an Elixir string model, that they no longer offer, because they lasted too long.

Maybe they were the "Polywebs"?? The comment was made that Ebay is about the only place one could find them.

If there is someone who knows exactly which "model" of Elixirs that is?

Elixer Polywebs are still available, but not as popular as the Nano's. In my experience both last about the same length of time (typically 3 or more months) but as they say on their web site, the Poly's sound more "played in". PB Nano's are my string of choice, but I do experiment with others from time to time

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_acoustic.html#poly

I guess you can't always believe what you read on "a forum" (this one being the exception, of course). And before I forget my manners, welcome to HCAG

• Members
I agree they last longer than Nano's. I agree they sound worse. But I never experienced flaking. I might put a set on my Guild D60. Then they'll sound old and I won't have to change them until next year

.For my guitars, D'Addario EXP's are a compromise between Nano's & Poly's.

by Acoustic Depot: EXPs are great ... I use them on two guitars. Nanos on everything else. The EXPs are warmer than nano PBs in my opinion.

Bob.

I tried a set of Dean Markley Helix I had sitting around instead of the Polys. They sound fantastic. But for some reason, they hurt my fingers.

I measured the action. It's the same. My fingertips are not that callused anymore. So I'll probably change them back to Poly's this week.

These Polys are 80/20. Maybe they sound better than other sets I've used.

Archived