Acoustic Strings on a Plugged-In Archtop

Etienne Rambert

• Members

More likely it was a motorycle horn than a car horn. I'll keep these strings on it. I heard very little drop-off on the lower strings, on the recording and live. The drop-off in electric tone and volume w/EXP .10 acoustic strings is less than the drop-off in acoustic tone & volume when strung w/electric .10's. This is an arch-top & pick-up combination that I can keep acoustic strings on without compromising electric tone much. Daddario-Acc-EXP15-1.jpg

• Members

Sounds about right for an archtop to me. The bass, such that it is on any archtop, has always been seconded to the trebles and mids because it isn't a soundbox designed for balance across the range. At least I've never heard one that was. Most players have a bass player with them. That's why I won't consider an archtop as a contender for the music I like to play. These strings don't seem to handicap the sound of the guitar.

• Members

The sound was partly dependent on my amp settings too. I could have tweaked EQ. But it's a busy restaurant on a crazy, busy street. People are seated near the amp eating. I couldn't give it any kind of sound test. The sound you hear is accurate. Not bad for a cell phone recorder mic, IMO.

• Members
Mr. Binh sure made you a nice jazzbox! philthumb Have you ever tried DR Zebra strings on it? They were designed for an acoustic with a magnetic p/u' date=' and will give your wound strings a little more "bottom" and balance. The ZAE-10 set is very similar, gaugewise, to the D'Addario set above.[/quote'] Yeah, it gets played & recorded more than any guitar he sold me. Odd thing is, nobody to my knowledge, is building any like it. Binh went back to standard sized arch tops, when he even makes them anymore, which is not often. What makes this one different is the depth and the short, wide F-holes. I measured. 4" deep binding to binding. Add in the top and back arches, and it may be 5" deep. I suspect the F-holes were a fortuitous screw-up. The player in the vid asked him for a quote on 1 just like mine -- $300. Of course, that's no pick-up, pick-guard, no Schallers etc. Never tried Zebra strings. I have not had good luck with DR's. but I'll try some my next trip back to the US.

• Members
Try using DAddarrio Chromes XL electric strings. They are flatwound and have a very smooth mellow sound. Also virtually no finger squeal relative to round wound strings.

Agreed. I tried a set of EXPs on my Eastman. They were bass heavy and ringy unplugged, but way too noisy through an amp. I thought Marc's video demonstrated this pretty well.

• Members

How much of a drop-off in acoustic tone would result if switched to Chrome XL? Actually I like the sound of those EXP's plugged in and unplugged. I've made several good recordings w/them, (not using a cell phone). They fit my style of playing - plugged in. For example, this is a good recording where they sounded lovely. In my recordings, guitars usually occupy small parts in larger orchestrations. The EXP's have worked fine thus far.

[video=youtube;Cx0fAXleePA]

I want the archtop to be dual purpose - both acoustic and electric. And the drop-off in acoustic tone when I put electric strings on it is too much of a compromise, if I can get acceptable electric tone from acoustic strings.

• Members

It sounds different, sure, but for me this was offset by improved sound through an amp. So it's more of a trade-off than a drop. Ultimately, if you're happy with that sound, you're golden.

AFA recording goes, I'd think Al's point about string squeak would be even more significant as those small noises can add-up when you're adding tracks.

• Members

I don't have a lot of time on flatwound strings but do remember they're either ground flat or extruded that way. I can't remember the brand now but I do remember they were ground and there was a sharp edge at the transition between the flat and the radius of the winding that grabbed the flesh. It caused a great deal of drag when lifting the fingers from the strings in a normal moving motion, not unlike sandpaper, so off they came and EJ16's went back on.

Edit to add: Just checked. The D'Addario Flat Tops are ground. Good chance they have that same sharp edge to the flats.

• Members
I don't have a lot of time on flatwound strings but do remember they're either ground flat or extruded that way. I can't remember the brand now but I do remember they were ground and there was a sharp edge at the transition between the flat and the radius of the winding that grabbed the flesh. It caused a great deal of drag when lifting the fingers from the strings in a normal moving motion, not unlike sandpaper, so off they came and EJ16's went back on.

Edit to add: Just checked. The D'Addario Flat Tops are ground. Good chance they have that same sharp edge to the flats.

D'Addario, La Bella and Rotosound all do a set of tapewound strings - intended probably for jazz guitar - but would be great for archtops (or probably any guitar for that matter). The makers use different tape material: chrome, stainless steel, monel, so it might be fun to try them out.

Archived