Using music stand when you perform?

rainrainwash3

• Members

I play a lot of classical and celtic songs and for the life of me I can't seem to remember these dozens of songs off the top of my head without the music in front of me. I can remember chord progressions and lyrics, simple stuff like that, but when its classical or intricate finger picking pieces how the heck do you remember 50+ pieces?

• Members

I am one of the lucky guys who can remember everything. For those who can't, it would be nice to have an alternative to the "music stand" sticking up--right in the middle of the stage. For the solo artist, it really looks bad. But, I can see your need for it with lots of complicated pieces to play. How about a smaller, shorter alternative and a tablet rather than sheet music? Make the list of songs in order and use a PDF format for the song list. A larger tablet would be a lot less of a distraction for the listening audience and would not block your performance from the audience field of view.

• Members

Rainrain - the thing to remember is unless you are playing in front of classical aficianado they are unlikely to know them exactly either. And if you are then you call it impro. I tend to play without a stand. Then again my eyesight is such that I'd have to peer at one like Mr Magoo.

• Members
I play a lot of classical and celtic songs and for the life of me I can't seem to remember these dozens of songs off the top of my head without the music in front of me. I can remember chord progressions and lyrics' date=' simple stuff like that, but when its classical or intricate finger picking pieces how the heck do you remember 50+ pieces? [/quote']

I forget how we do it. :)

Actually, we've at least been experimenting with replacing music stands/books with tablets. Scores are reasonably legible on a 10" tablet; see MusicSheets for Android or I've seen references to ForScore for iPads. Add a wireless Bluetooth pedal for page turns (back and forth). Clamp the sucker to a mic stand if you have on there already anyway. Or at least it's a smaller footprint than a big honkin' looseleaf binder and a music stand large enough to hold it.

-D44

• Members

I'm impressed by soloists who have long, complicated sets memorized, but ultimately I came to hear the music. If someone is reading off a stand and their performance is hot, the stand completely disappears. Anyway, if you've got 50 complex pieces in your set, I hope you're being very well compensated. :D

• Members

I've heard from others that it isn't professional to have the music in front of you. I grew up in concert and jazz bands where we always had the music in front of us, that's mostly where I learned how to read. I guess its become a crutch and habit for me once I switched to the solo guitar.

Are there any tips or tricks? Should I whittle down my repertoire and stick to memorizing key pieces?

• Members

I have a set list that gets tossed onto the music stand. From there I switch back and forth and pretend I'm a sight reading musician. Hell, it's not like the audience thinks the stand is for holding a smut rag. It's part of the process (the stand, that is).

• Members

When it comes to instrumental stuff I cheat by learning with tab until my eyes start to fog over. Then at that point I opt to just listen to the recording and let my ear pick up the "gist" of the melody and rely on the tab to memorize the chord changes. I only use a music staff in church because I'm playing along with others and don't want to lose my place. Same goes with songs I'm singing on; it doesn't do to forget the lyrics.

So no, I don't really rely on a music staff when playing instrumental stuff and I don't think it's unprofessional at all. If you're playing for a crowd you pretty much want to engage the crowd anyway, right? I'd strongly suggest you don't get hung up on minutia and just learn the "bones" of the song and melody and flesh it out to make it your own. By that I mean, play around with tempo, dynamics and little flourishes here and there. TO me that's what makes playing fun (no pun intended) - otherwise it's just work and IME not very motivating.

• Members

I think it may also be a matter of age in my case. Back in college, I played and sang with a group and we'd do several songs in a row from memory. These days, in praise band, we all need music for just a couple of songs. I use a lyric/chord sheet for originals, sadly enough. About the only song I can do from memory these days is "Gospel Changes" by John Denver.

• Members

I saw a guy on Friday night that was seated while playing and never/rarely took his eyes off of his iPad.

I understand having it there for the occasional reminder, or maybe when you are learning a new song. However, if you don't know your setlist well enough to play it without having your eyes glued to cheat sheets, then you need to stay home and practice before getting gigs!

If you are playing incredibly complex stuff, that's one issue. I'm referring to the people who are playing 4 chord pop, rock, and country material.

I used to have a book on a music stand, and I got rid of it a few years ago. I figured if there were songs in there that I didn't know well enough without it, then I didn't need to play those songs. I'm a much better performer without having the book

• Members

The stand can become a crutch that might detract from the (overall) performance so, yes, I agree that it can become a handicap. I know the songs well enough to "take a risk" and ignore the lyrics on the music stand, and I can get a little too comfortable relying on it at the compromise of a good (or better) gig delivery, but screw it. I like reverting back to the stand. At 59 years old no one is going top be looking for my showcase showface anyway. Best for them to focus on the calamari, wine and keep the tunes in the background.

• Members

I dont do the solo thing and rarely sing lead.

I'm just the bass player, but in my band we do 30+/- originals plus that many more covers.

At my age, I gotta have some notes because I can't remember {censored}.

Sometimes I just need the key, sometimes just the numbers, or maybe just that weird progession in the bridge.

I make my notes on a piece of steno notebook paper for each set and tape it to the side of my upright bass.

I'm saving up for a tablet for my mic stand.

• Members
I saw a guy on Friday night that was seated while playing and never/rarely took his eyes off of his iPad.

I understand having it there for the occasional reminder, or maybe when you are learning a new song. However, if you don't know your setlist well enough to play it without having your eyes glued to cheat sheets, then you need to stay home and practice before getting gigs!

If you are playing incredibly complex stuff, that's one issue. I'm referring to the people who are playing 4 chord pop, rock, and country material.

I used to have a book on a music stand, and I got rid of it a few years ago. I figured if there were songs in there that I didn't know well enough without it, then I didn't need to play those songs. I'm a much better performer without having the book

I'm not playing easy chord rock or pop music. I used to do that with no sheets at all, but I got bored with it. I don't need the sheets to remember lyrics or chords, that's simple enough. These aren't "cheat" sheets, its the actual musical notation that I'm playing. Classical, celtic and gypsy finger picking arrangements and scores. Theres so much variation between measures and notes that it just becomes a flurry of notes that I have difficulty remembering of the top of my head but not difficulty actually playing it. People tip me and say it sounds great but I was just figuring if it was worth it to try and remember dozens of these pieces.

• Members

I think using a music stand is fine, as long as it is unobtrusive, and doesn't interfere with the performance. Personally, I prefer rigorous practice for memorization, and "cheat" sheets placed where I can glance at them if I draw a blank for some reason, but not where the audience can see them.

I once attempted to work with a singer who absolutely refused to get on stage without a fake book and a stand. He was a good-looking, personable fellow with a nice voice and good stage presence - until a song started, whereupon he stood perfectly still, stared down at the book, and wouldn't acknowledge the crowd. Nothing I could say or do would move him from that stance, or his need for using the stand and book as a crutch - he would become quite angry at the thought. As a result, his tenure as a singer with our band was short-lived. We wanted to perform to the audience - he wasn't capable of that. It was a shame, as he was otherwise quite talented, and very attractive to the ladies. But that all-important connection to the people out front was lost when he sang, and he couldn't communicate with the other band members either -- even during songs that he had sung many, many times before.

This might be an extreme example, but it certainly drove home to me why rehearsal can be so important. And that when you hit the stage, the rehearsal is over, boys .. it's time to perform. You can't play in Alabama bars like you are reading a speech from a podium ... people go home, and you don't get invited back.

I also don't care for music stands set up so high that you can't see the faces of the performers. Some people will hide behind them, and some have bad eyesight. It's better to blow up the music to a large print, IMHO, than to give the audience a two hour view from the neck down, and nothing else. Even if you have nice cleavage, and I certainly don't!

If you are in a choral group (where everyone has a stand), in a church (because the Lord doesn't care, I'm sure), or playing intricate instrumental music where sitting is required, such as in an orchestra, I'm all for a stand, carefully positioned. But if you stand and play, or use a high stool, at least put it off to the side somewhat, where people can see you have a head, and make the occasional effort to make eye contact with the crowd. Otherwise, it's a hindrance, not a help.

... JT

• Members

Depends on your audience. Classical and jazz fans are used to seeing/using music stands with the charts/scores sitting out front. No biggie. Other styles may have audiences who are suspicious of anyone who needs to read.

I know that some people who are excellent at memorization still like to have the music there because it helps them to maintain focus and control stage fright.

• Members

I don't know that it matters a lot. As to whether memorizing your entire repertoire make your more manly or not is inane. Ever been to a symphony perfrormance? How many of them did not have music in front of them? They have been playing the same material for decades and still use the music. I think the largest repertoire I ever had with a band was over 250 songs, and we never had music on stage. There have been times I have used music on stange; for example, when I am doing a pickup gig and I am not that familiar with the material. Some are better at picking up and memorizing tunes that others. I am one who struggles to get it done and in my head and fingers and I have to concentrate and count when I play.

In the final analysis, it really doesn't matter.

• Members

At my age, my memory is shot. Songs that I learned years ago I can remember; I have difficulty remembering lyrics to my new ones. I have a netbook and a foot switch and have cue sheets in a powerpoint format. The laptop is fairly subtle but allows me to refresh my memory when needed.

• Members

i havent used a music stand since concert band in high school... even waaaaay back then our jazz band instructor made us memorize our parts... no stands allowed! i know i'm partial because of such things, but i feel stands, (music, mic, guitar etc) on the front of the stage look cluttered and detract from the overall experience... a hidden or less obvious tablet,pad, or laptop might not be so bad depending upon what kind of show... but even then its an added complication.. more things to carry and set up... more things to go wrong. for that reason alone i like to keep it simple, especially when playing solo gigs...

Archived