V.O.M.! Post recordings to share here all weekend!

Michael Martin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bangalore!

A rare (for me) instrumental. I am trying to break out of my accustomed rhythmist typecasting. Recorded a couple of months ago on the Fostex 8-track, utilizing an AT2020 condenser mike for everything. Strat for the lead figure (through a Peavey Classic 20 amp) and '73 Hummingbird for the rhythm, and tambourine track. Melodic line was something that just came up while fooling around on the unplugged Strat, which is how I've been playing a lot lately when at home while others are sleeping. To my ear it sounded vaguely Indian so I named it after a part of India that a friend is from.

Edit: I don't know what's up here. Twice I placed the link to the song into this post, and twice it was converted to a link that goes to my Soundcloud page rather than to the song track. So see if this works--the link directly below that has "bangalore" in the title.

So nice that they always screw around with this place during V.O.M.s.

• Members

wtf...gotta give credit where it's due. They're trying. I just hope it sticks after GC gets sold off here shortly.

Just recorded this an hour ago. I put a Zoom H4 on a wall shelf about 12 feet from a Fishman SA220. The amp was set for dry guitar with some reverb on voice. The guitar is the Goodall RCJC with D'Addario EJ16s. The mike is a Shure SM57. The guitar system is the PWM into the amp via a Nady MGT-16 wireless. I recorded standing up reading the lyrics from my computer because I can't remember crap these days. Besides a frog popping up to see what the noise was about, at the usual critical point, it came out okay.

https://app.box.com/s/5dukrr7aqdey0lsm70u0

• Members

It's been a long, cold, snowy winter. Finally, temperatures are beginning to climb and we're getting ready to "spring forward". So this is a little theme for "Winter into Spring". In a minor key which I guess is "winter" and then ends on a major chord which signifies the first glimpse of "spring". Played on a lovely old Manuel Velazquez classical guitar from 1958, recorded on a Zoom H4n, reverb added in the mix down.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12713290

• Members

Michael Martin - Link? Or, am I sightless?

Hoddy - Nice tune and groove. Coulda had the vocals moved up a smidge.

Riff - Yes, definitely sweet as an awakening theme and that's a great sounding guitar, technique notwithstanding.

• Members
Thanks Idunno for posting that. I'm not generally into 'cowboy' narratives but the gentle and sensitive guitar and the singing encouraged me to listen to the end. I'm glad I did.

Phil

James Taylor wrote that for his new-born nephew, also named James, back in 1970. I wonder if the kid, now 44, has any stories to tell about growing up the subject of one of his uncle's most well-received songs. Oh, and thanks. I tried to give it my best.

• Members

I like It Micheal - The Indian/Arabic vibe really interesting. Do you ever listen to David Graham? Very much the same kind of western - mid - eastern feel to it. Great.

Phil

Actually I meant Davy Graham who wrote Anji (What a mistake to make)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_Graham

I must have got mixed up with Edward Van Halen

Phil

• Members

MM - yes, that is not what I have come to expect from you and it is a nice change. Very effective and very well done

Hoddy - I too would have liked a little more vocal, but well done

Idunno - first, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. That has always been a favorite song and it seems to suit you.

Riff - I'm sure glad that you are back. I could listen all night

OK, I was going to post a crappy version of Anji but instead here is an old Paul Siebel song that has been covered by Bonnie Raitte, Leo Kottke and so many others. I love the words but since I can't sing I'll spare you.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Louise.mp3

• Members

MM - nice instrumental, has a real cool 'vibe' about it including the Indian/Greek sounding scale you used!

Hoddy - very polished rock tune, well done!

Idunno - SBJ has always been one of my favorite James Taylor songs, and you nailed it!

Freeman - you have an amazing catalog of cool old blues tunes, Louise included!

• Members

Michael-very cool. To me it has a surf/spaghetti western vibe but played on acoustic gives it an eastern flair. Needs to be in an Bond movie soundtrack. Nice change of pace really enjoyed.

Idunno-Good JT cover

Riff-Nice playing and GREAT tone out of that box.

Freeman-nice laid back folk style pickin.

I got nothin this week guys sorry.

• Members

Michael Martin - Nice change of pace for you, not that we mind your vocals. Well written. Captures the mood of the region.

Hoddy - Well done. Don't recognize the song. Is that an original? It's quite good.

Idunno - Nice job. Not JT but 'way better than I can do.

riffmeister - Very well done. Haunting and moody, just like the weather of late.

Igneroid - Nice job. Challenging indeed.

• Members
Nice Job guys. Welcome back Melodeous/Pitar as Idunno!

There are few more that stepped away from the ashes but no matter. Same crowd, different corner, keep the pennies but lay your nickels down. Is this the new phone book?

• Members

How do you give Gold here?

To mark HCAG 4.0 we should keep this VOM going all month. We could call it the vBOM. I got my recording stuff set up yesterday, and started working out something to record, but I'm so out of condition that my hands were shot after 20 minutes!

Archived