arthritis

acid tester

• Members

Take another Hit ......... Of Fresh air:D

I also am an Ole' Hippy and I'll Die that way....Thank You

Oh about the fingers I too have that problem....

I use a linement Called "Bigielows oil"

they use it on Million Dollar Race Horses and it Works Great...

Hey if it's good for them,

Why Not ....Now I'm not worth that much

I Know ...but it does work

can be found at any Tack and Feed Store/Shop in your area ...

Or Smoke some More Pot ;)

• Members

Yeah..see a doctor.

I'm taking "Lodine," or "Etodolac, the generic equivalent.

But, it's a prescription anti-inflammatory.

I can without hesitation say that a good doctor will help you much more than gathering information on a message board, but I got some pretty good info from message boards also.:)

I had "chicken claws" in the middle of the night, and it would wake me up. Scared the hell out of me. Additionally, arthritis doesn't just affect your fingers, usually. I was having sharp pains on my right hip, and just about had my leg buckle involuntarily. Since I've been taking the anti-inflammatory, I really don't have much of a problem.

I'm also taking a combination of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM. I could give you links, but just put 'em into google and go crazy if you're interested. Natural supplements, there is good evidence that the soft cushioning tissue in the joints can be enhanced by using these things. At minimum, they help provide further deterioration of the joints.

Get with it, acid tester, you ain't gettin' any younger, and there's no time like the present. save what you got as long as you can.

The knuckles on my little fingers are so permanently swollen now that a couple of years ago I decided that if I wanted to be able to make music as I age further, I might want to take up slide guitar and lap steel, if that makes any sense. I'm glad I did, but I'm still hanging in there on guitar, because of the meds and supplements. :cool:

Oh..and SteveO; I'll try that stuff! :D

• Members

Man good tips and that stuff helps a few of my friends too. I also think a little Asperin helps (seems to) and also just laying off until those joints calm down. Mine has not gotten bad yet but the signs of getting old are already knocking on the door already at 40. All those nasty vibratos and bends are coming back to haunt me from younger days :)

My friends say get used to it. Life comes with some pain but I am not sure laying off competely helps either.

I still learning about this also...

• Members

Hey Guys I went and check out my Stuff and Edited my post I spelled the stuff wrong ....I corrected it

it is Bigielow oil ...

Hey the stuff has a Slight smell to it ..Not Bad or Foo~Fooy

just a little like the Ranch~ RaceTrack... kinda Manley

Hey it smells better than that Chaps stuff or Stetson for Men

and it Helps me.....

Like I said before if it's good enough for them.......

• Members

I wrote a song....well kinda.It's the same thing as Clapton's Cocaine except instead of cocaine, it get's switched out for "novacaine" and some of the words were changed around/Sort of a parody to people who grew up in the hippy era and people who are getting old.When you wanna get down,you fall down on the ground, Novacaine....stuff like that.;)

• Members

I'm 30, and I have arthritis in both of my knees (especially the right one) and in my right wrist. The knees are congenital--my sticks aren't built right, I guess. The wrist is from YEARS of bartending--flipping bottles, generally showing off--and, you guessed it, playing guitar.

The glucosamine - chondroitin supplements are awesome. I can DEFINITELY tell a difference when I'm taking them.

• Members

I would suggest acupuncture. Between acupuncture and herbs you can be playing pain free or at least with a big reduction in pain. I know you will here advice on this forum that it does not work and not to waste your time, but its one of the best natural treatments for pain. Its the fastest growing field in alternative care, because it works try it. Thats my opinion, but I would advise seeing your MD to discuss different treatment options.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackwatch

When my wife worked at a health food store they always recommended alfalfa tabs....and I don't know if they work.....Good luck. I have bersitis in my shoulder and it sucks....

I used to feed those things to my Mule and Horse They loved them buggers.......

• Members

I too am afflicted with arthritis (fingers and knees). I have been taking Cosamin DS- Double Strengh capsules. I still have twinges of pain that I have learned to live with, but I still have the mobility of my fingers.

Good luck!

Louis

• Members

yeah, growing old sucks. You spend all that time learning how to play and, BAM!, it's all over. What a waste.

At 40, I just found myself unable to play because I somehow tweaked my pinky playing guitar. I've always played as hard as I want without any problems... but all of a sudden it hurt like hell to press my pinky on a string. It was sorta like a stone bruise at the very tip (and that first joint had a dull pain, too). It scared the {censored} out of me.

I decided I wouldn't touch the guitar until I thought my finger might be healed. After over a month, I'm back to playing, but not with reckless abandon like I used to. I now have to fret the strings lightly and more on the fleshy part because I can tell that, if I don't, it'll happen again.

• Members

Originally posted by thisllub

Whoa DG that sure looks painful. I hope that isn't your hand.

Yep, thisllub, that's my hand. But, it actually doesn't hurt!

And, so far anyway, it's just the pinky on each hand.

Since I've simply not let it slow me down, I've probably figured out workarounds or something as it slowly crept up on me.

I'm still bending the B string at the third fret, for example, on one song with that pinky. Use it or lose it, is what my doc told me, and I'm goin' with that! :D

• Members

arthritis, oh dear. By the way I am new here, but at my age new isn't a word I apply to myself very often. I have arthritis in my shoulders, very frustrating. I had to give up my heavier guitars--like a hollowbody jazz guitar.

So far I just take ibupropen l, abut 800 strength my Dr. prescirbed). I have been told about glucenomine (sp) havent tried it yet. The arthritis hasn't gotten to my hands yet. I had bad hand injuries when I was young, and took years to get better. I am playing as much as I can while I can.

I am sorry to hear of your pain trying to play. Maybe Ibopropen, (advil, motrin( can help. A freind of mine uses DMSO for her horse and herself. I guess it works great. You might try it too. I am going to try it next. They also sell shark cartillege. My spelling sucks.

• Members

Originally posted by kayotik

arthritis, oh dear. By the way I am new here, but at my age new isn't a word I apply to myself very often. I have arthritis in my shoulders, very frustrating. I had to give up my heavier guitars--like a hollowbody jazz guitar.

So far I just take ibupropen l, abut 800 strength my Dr. prescirbed). I have been told about glucenomine (sp) havent tried it yet. The arthritis hasn't gotten to my hands yet. I had bad hand injuries when I was young, and took years to get better. I am playing as much as I can while I can.

I am sorry to hear of your pain trying to play. Maybe Ibopropen, (advil, motrin( can help. A freind of mine uses DMSO for her horse and herself. I guess it works great. You might try it too. I am going to try it next. They also sell shark cartillege. My spelling sucks.

Hey kayotik! Haven't I seen you around before? Maybe at the acoustic guitar magazine forum or something? Anyway, welcome to the forums! About the DMSO; their is a newer compound, called MSM, that is very similar to DMSO, but doesn't..uh..STINK!

In fact, the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement I take has MSM along with it. I just assume that maybe the MSM helps the absorption of the other two, or maybe it has it's own beneficial dealey. There are even MSM ointments to rub on sore joints...kinda like people do with DMSO on their expensive racehorses! I forget who has a book published on MSM, but he's a doctor from OHSU, and the same person who initially broke the news on DMSO.

edit: Dr. Stanley Jacob

Much of the info available on MSM is from companies pushing products, so just remember that, and if you "google" something about this, try to stay close to info from the initial research conducted from Dr. Jacob.

• Members

Hi, yes I was on the forums about a year ago, (Kayotick123) went away and came back. Dropped the 123 since now I can play more than just 3/4 time!!!

Thanks for the info about DMSO/ MSM. Glad to be back and see the good people are still here.

• Members

Originally posted by kayotik

Hi, yes I was on the forums about a year ago, (Kayotick123) went away and came back. Dropped the 123 since now I can play more than just 3/4 time!!!

Thanks for the info about DMSO/ MSM. Glad to be back and see the good people are still here.

Hahahaha! Hey, good seein' ya'again, then! :D

And..many folks would do well to learn to PLAY in 3/4 time!;)

In fact, I've got a song, a medley, that starts with a "cowboy waltz" in it, and morphs into 4/4 time. Good to see you're continuing to play, get better, and have more fun!:cool:

Archived