larravee do-9 , sounded very mellow

Jessz1

• Members

Well, I tried it out today and liked it but am concerned. It seemed kinda quiet and I am not sure if it would cut through in a band setting well. I know I could mike it but for some stuff like informal jams I would rather not. Whats your experience been with them? I layed an Eric Claptin martin and a 510 Taylor. Both seemed louder and more mid rangy and alot more highs on the taylor. Want to try a collings and some other accoustics as well but can't find a dealer locally.

That Laravee felt good though. Action and playability was supurb!

• Members

Well a Larrivee dread just isn't going to have the highs to compete with a Taylor (though it will have the CLARITY) or the midrange of a small-bodied fingerstyld guitar (Larrivee actually makes a great recording guitar BECAUSE of their midrange tone).

My guess would be that the Larrivee had a set of Elixers on it. Once you put on something else, that puppy should bark with the best of them, definitely loud enough to keep up with the other guitars.

• Members

The setup and strings can make a huge difference. Some guitars also just have a bad day. It just might not be the one that speaks to you. I would go with your ears though and dont buy anything that doesn't floor you. If you want loud that can be found.

Now, be careful not to judge the volume the player hears .vs. what is heard about 4-6 feet out front. That can be hugely different.

If you want loud go with a 12 fret exposed guitar. They can be loud as mothers. Experiment with guitars that have different tapers on the back and body depths. ALso big bodies that are not deep can be real comfortable to play yet sound incredibly loud.

The loudest guitar I have played lately was a Santa Cruz 12 fret sloped dread slothead. Good god. So try those body styles too.

Long scale usually is louder too. Talk to someone selling guitars that really knows. A good fine guitar shop usually has a good expert.

• Members

Thanks guys! I think it was a dud myself. I thouht about the strings too. I am gonna go back and try it again cause of all the guitars, it felt the best to me. I wnat to sit in front and have somebody strum a few choards on it too. A little more saving and I will have a nice acoustic again!

Archived