My Taylor never stays in tune

BryanE

• Members

Bryan,
Is there a lot of fluctuation in humidity levels and temperature where you are keeping it? This will effect it. Mine stay pretty controlled, but they all tend to go a little flat or sharp after a day or so.
Also looping your strings as described here will help.

• Members

Expect to tune it everytime you travel to another location or even room to room. Everytime you pickup the guitar your body heat alone warms it up and it changes. When you put it down it changes again. Some more than others.

Tuning is something you will have to do constantly even on a great guitar. It's hard to say if there is actually a problem with your guitar. I imagine you are just not used to tuning alot......... yet.

Welcome to guitar ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Blackwatch

Do you guys find that you have to retune if you capo up? I have to on my Taylor at the third and 5th frets.....

not so much when using a shubb capo. since the shubb allows you to adjust the amount of tension for the specific guitar neck you're using it on.

but yah, capos can certainly pull a guitar out of tune.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackwatch

Do you guys find that you have to retune if you capo up? I have to on my Taylor at the third and 5th frets.....

This could be the result of a capo applying uneven pressure, or it could be the result of a poorly intonated saddle. Intonation problems that are relatively unoffensive in open position tend to get exponentially more offensive as you move further up the neck.

In response to the original question--most people retune their guitars each time they pick them up. Having said that, it would be unusual if you were having to make major adjustments each time. I would guess that it would be difficult for a string to slip more than 10 or 15 cents overnight unless the temperature and/or humidity was fluctuating quite a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by seven7

not so much when using a shubb capo. since the shubb allows you to adjust the amount of tension for the specific guitar neck you're using it on.

but yah, capos can certainly pull a guitar out of tune.

Pete Huttlinger recommends in his instructional video of John Denver's songs that you put the capo right on the fret. He uses a Paige Capo right on top of the fret and he says this way it won't go out of tune. I've tried this but you have to position it perfectly or the strings sound deadened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the Taylors are a little "finikey" to how you handle them because of their neck joint. It's not a bad neck joint it's just different. I usually sit on a stool when I play because I'm on my feet all day at work(or because I'm lazy). If I lean on the neck or push and pull on it moving around on my stool it will get out of tune terrible. My Martin or Takamine don't seem nearly as bad. I changed the way I play a little. I used to just hold my guitar but now I use a strap.. When I scoot around on my stool to get comfortable I just let it hang. It stays in tune as good as my D-18 and I never thought I'd find a guitar to do that.

Archived