B.C. Rich acoustics

greystoke 2

• Members

I may have posted this question before, so at the risk of sounding redundant I'll ask once more; Does anybody have info on B.C. Rich acoustic guitars; To-wit: Info on U.S. and asian manufacturing data? Models,I.D. etc.

Especially Mod. BW 1000's? My particular 1000 has a sticker inside soundhole that gives ser.# and mod.# and simply says: Handmade Guitars since 1930. I know - I thought B.C. Rich was a little more recent a co. than that. Please help me.

Greystoke

• Members

Rick,

I remember reading your original post, and though I wanted to comment, I refrained. The only experience I personally have with BC Rich is with their electrics. I won't comment because that's neither here nor there, but they have little or no reputation in the circles I frequent with acoustic guitars. For me that rates a red flag until proven worthy ;) . I don't know if Harmony Central has any user ratings for their stuff, but you might could check.

Good luck & thanks for posting,

Tony

• Members

AAAh...That's where you're wrong Tony. I have a Couple of "Blue Book" Reference books that put quite a high price on B.C.Rich [Made in U.S.A] Acoustic guitars the Orig. Co. made - in the order of 15000.00-avg.! BUT, as with all such type reference books; Alot of early info is left out vis-a-vis the 'fringe' inst.s that take up too much space concerning makers that are better known for - in this case-Their Electric efforts. For instance; try and find a good source of info. for Fender acoustics! I have gone to the B.C.Rich site and their info only seems to cover their recent acoustic efforts. I know what you're saying, and the legend-[1930-since] blows me away. I thought He[or they] were a 'Player' in the last 20-30 yrs. myself! Ergo, my question. Now, go away Tony and quit blowing 'smoke'! Kidding!, I'm kidding Tony. Thanx for replying.

Greystoke

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Now see what happened!? - Just scored another BW1000 for 150.00 on Can. Ebay! Now I've got 2 of 'em. They really sound great, although the construction is pretty plain - Mahogany sides,back spruce top. Plain Janes that really don't wash with B.C. Rich's elect.s - over the top ornation/design. Now I'm twice as bugged vis-a-vis this stupid soundhole logo : Handcrafted Inst.s since 1930??? C'mon!

Greystoke

P.S. - If this is successful; here's the pic of soundhole. Rat's, denied; I'm hopeless with my old Mac, and now these orphan B.C. Rich's from HELL!!

• Members

Now see what happened!? - Just scored another BW1000 for 150.00 on Can. Ebay! Now I've got 2 of 'em. They really sound great, although the construction is pretty plain - Mahogany sides,back spruce top. Plain Janes that really don't wash with B.C. Rich's elect.s - over the top ornation/design. Now I'm twice as bugged vis-a-vis this stupid soundhole logo : Handcrafted Inst.s since 1930??? C'mon!

Greystoke

• Members

Hey Rich

My BC Rich B-38 which I bought from Bernie in East LA back in the early seventies is in pretty bad shape. Bridge is split, several long cracks in the rosewood back, neck is not too bad. My daughter had been using it and the tone was no where near what it was years back when I played it. I've basically just been using it for nashville tuning.

Wondering if it wood be worth taking into a local luthier for repairs. Think it could get back up to speed and sound as good as it did back in the good ol days

Thanks mucho

DW

• Members

Interesting thread. Would never have thought that B.C. Rich had ever been a reputable maker of fine acoustics.

Found this on Google fairly quickly, a brief history of the Bernie Chavez Rico (1941-1999) guitar company, and he did build some acoustics at one time, even one with solid??? Brazilian Rosewood. Couldn't find nuttin' else however.

http://homepage.mac.com/bcrich/history_e.html

• Members

Thanx people for trying; You've been more help than I've found on the BC Rich site as a matter of fact. The posting of the B28? owner is interesting ;cause of the "B" suffix. Tell me you have a soundhole logo that is similar; or not. The fact of Rosewood in your inst.s make-up is not encouraging however if you use ascending mod. #s as a sign of quality 'ala ' D-18, D-28, D-35 etc. - Because mine is very plain [Mahogany]. I won't even blush when I compare the sound of my guys to a entry level Gibson like say a B-15, - 25.

Greystoke

Archived