What size guitar for a 7 year old boy?

wah wah

• Members

I have two kids who are trying to get started with guitar. One, 8, is playing my Tacoma Papoose now that I am travelling less. The fit is good, but being tuned to A means that I need to capo when I work with him. That's not a big deal... except... my 10-year-old is also learning. I have lent him my old ovation custom balladeer. It is indestructible (which is particularly good for him), but it is a bit big. Well, a bit long really. It helps if I put a strap on it and have him stand, but obviously I want it to be fun. I'd like something smaller, but I don't want to drop a bunch of cash for something that he'll not pursue. I already have too many instruments lying around. Anyway, the problem becomes teaching them both at the same time (since they are tuned differently).

Thoughts?

• Members

both my kids (6 and 11) take classical guitar lessons (as I did when I was 9).

The 11 year old got a fill sized classical when she was 9, prior to that she had a 3/4 sized classical. The 6 year old uses that now, but a full sized classical would almost fit a 7 year old.

I really feel that a slightly more serious approach to guitar lessons for kids is important. But you need to get the right balance. The first teacher we sent my eldest to was much too "old school" oriented. We changed to a younger teacher who mixes traditional classical with some more light hearted strumming things. The 11 year old is really good now and plays (classical) at various school events etc.

They learn musical notation as well as fingerpicking which I feel is really important.

• Members

Originally posted by arasmith

I have two kids who are trying to get started with guitar. One, 8, is playing my Tacoma Papoose now that I am travelling less. The fit is good, but being tuned to A means that I need to capo when I work with him. That's not a big deal... except... my 10-year-old is also learning. I have lent him my old ovation custom balladeer. It is indestructible (which is particularly good for him), but it is a bit big. Well, a bit long really. It helps if I put a strap on it and have him stand, but obviously I want it to be fun. I'd like something smaller, but I don't want to drop a bunch of cash for something that he'll not pursue. I already have too many instruments lying around. Anyway, the problem becomes teaching them both at the same time (since they are tuned differently).

Thoughts?

Throw a capo on the Ovation. They will be tuned the same, and your older boy wont have as long of a neck to deal with either.

Archived