Best *low action* acoustic under $500?

Ben-_-Ben

• Members

I've heard that Taylor guitars have very low action for acoustics. Is that true? I've seen some "Fat Baby Taylors" that you can find on ebay for $200-350 used and I'm very tempted to buy one.

Are there any other low action acoustics under $500? I'd also prefer one that is acoustic/electric, but regular acoustic is fine if the guitar is worth it.

I'm not limited to any particular style. I dig everything from Ovation, to Carvin, to Martin. However, the guitar HAS to have a good nut and high quality tuners.

I've only owned one acoustic in my life and that was an Ibaneze P5 I bought new for like $200. What a terrible guitar! The action is set so high I can only stand it for finger practice. My eletric (a Korean LP copy) is just so much easier to jam with. Its time for me to buy an acoustic that I can comfortably play with.

• Members

The same guitar can come from the store/factory with different setup. Adjust the truss rod to a straight neck, and file down the bridge until string height on 12th fret is 3/32" at low E and 2/32" at the high E

• Members
Originally posted by Bajazz

The same guitar can come from the store/factory with different setup. Adjust the truss rod to a straight neck, and file down the bridge until string height on 12th fret is 3/32" at low E and 2/32" at the high E

Not quite straight---with the low E string fretted at the first and last frets, there should be enough space at the 10th fret to slide a business card between the string and the fret. If the neck is dead straight (no relief), you'll have fret-buzz problems ;)

• Members

Given your criteria, IMO, there's only one choice.......can you guess?

Washburn.

For WELL under $500, you can get a Washburn D10SCE (A/E with a cutaway, solid spruce top) complete with HSC, strap, guitar stand and tuner for WELL under $500.

You might also consider a Washburn WD18SW. It's been getting alot of good press and some rave reviews. Another great sub-$500 instrument.

By the way, FWIW, Acoustic Guitar Magazine rates the Washburn D10S as the worlds best selling sub-$500 guitar.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by WashburnGuy

Given your criteria, IMO, there's only one choice.......can you guess?

Washburn.

For
WELL
under $500, you can get a Washburn D10SCE (A/E with a cutaway, solid spruce top) complete with HSC, strap, guitar stand and tuner for WELL under $500.

You might also consider a Washburn WD18SW. It's been getting alot of good press and some rave reviews. Another great sub-$500 instrument.

By the way, FWIW, Acoustic Guitar Magazine rates the Washburn D10S as the worlds best selling sub-$500 guitar.

Good luck!

Agree re: Washburn.

Also I would check out vintage Ovations they have shims under the saddle and you can get an electric type low action on them. Like Washburns they have nice comfortable necks that also help for fast licks.:cool:

• Members

I'll third the Washburn.

I bought a Washburn d20s (sloped shouldered dread) in 1993 and it was (and still is) great. The tuners are wonderful (better than my Martin D-16RGT) and the action is low with absolutly no buzzing.

The d20s I have is unusual. Most were built with spruce tops and mahog (or rosewood) sides I think. My top is Cedar and the sides/back are birdseye maple.

Look at a Washburn. I guess I lucked out. I had no idea of what to buy at the time, but for less than $300, it is great. Mine is a great guitar from top to bottom.

Broktun

• Members

I second the suggestion of Alvarez--every one I have tried has had a really low action, and the ones I have tried (mostly the 'folk' size) have sounded decent.

For what it's worth :cool:

Tom

• Members

The Baby Taylors a cool, simple little guitars, but I've yet to play one with low action. I'm sure one could be set up that way, but mine sure wasn't. I mentioned getting shims from Taylor in another thread... my action was 3/16ths of an inch measuring from the top of the 12th fret to the string. I just put in a new shim tonight and it's a little better. I'm thinking I might lower the saddle ever so slightly, and now that I look at it the truss rod could use a tiny bit of tightening to lessen the relief.

I'd try Carvin - I've seen a couple go on eBay for decent prices, and if their electrics are any indication, their acoustics should have great string action.

• Members

Well I ended up buying an Alvarez AD70S on ebay for $190 shipped. It's brand new, not used. I figured that was a good deal since they seem to be going for $289 + shipping at most online Alvarez dealers.

I just hope the guitar doesn't suck. I have a feeling I should have saved for a better one.

• Members

Originally posted by Ben-_-Ben

I just hope the guitar doesn't suck. I have a feeling I should have saved for a better one.

I'm sure you'll be fine... IMO almost any guitar can be set up to play nicely (obviously some are better than others) and it sounds like you've picked a good starting point :)

I have a friend who does his own guitar tech stuff. If you closed your eyes and played some of the stuff he tinkers with you'd think you had a custom shop strat in your hands, then when you open them its a marlin sidewinder. Same goes for acoustics too I guess.

I really must read that Dan Erlewine guitar setup book one of these days...

Peace and tolerance

J

Archived