Martin OM 35 and 00028

redstevo

• Members

Can anyone tell me the principle differences of these guitars in tone. I've been ont the martin website and know about the construction/scale difference but would be interested to hear from those who have played them - how do they sound - are they quite different? I've played the 00028 once or twice and found it mellow (especially compared to my Taylor 314ce) - I wonder if the OM 35 is the same. I exclusively fingerpick if thats any help.

cheers,

redstevo

• Members

I find a slightly better tonal clarification with the OM-35. While retaining a great balance, I found the highs to be brighter.......while the lows sounded deeper......IMHO.....:)

This was one of the OM guitars that I found to stand up well in the strumming dept. in addition to being a great finger picker...... I was impressed.............but then I played the SANTA CRUZ OM/PW !!! :eek::D

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I just got back from the store playing a 000-28 and an OM-35. Bear in mind that while the 000-28 was new, the OM-35 was second hand (though in mint condition), and had had been played quite a lot. Both of them were lovely guitars. I prefer the wider neck with the bound fingerboard on the OM, even though I use a pick quite a lot. The 000 felt a little bit minature in comparison, even though I normally really like that size.

They both sounded beautiful, but the 28 obviously needed a bit of time, and in fact sounded a little boxy. I actually preferred the sound of the 000C-16GTE that I played, with a mahogany back and sides.

The 35 was incredible. The sound was huge, with great clarity in every register. There was certainly more bass, but also a more distinct tone, and a much more exciting presence to it. To be honest, the 35 is the best acoustic guitar I've ever played (though I have never played any as expensive), and I'm hoping to buy it.

In some instances I can see why the 28 would be preferred, as it is probably a bit more subtle, and certainly more restrained, but in my opinion the 28 was made to look pedestrian in comparison: a guiatar which three days ago blew my mind with its beautiful tone!

:eek:

If you exclusively fingerpick, you'd probably prefer the neck on the 35, but you may also find that the sound is too big. I wouldn't be suprised if you liked an OM-21 better.

• Members

Originally posted by Andrewrg

I recently traded a 00028 for an OM28 and IMO the OM is louder,brighter and altogether a more vibrant guitar.I also prefer the longer scale which gives more tension and `bite` to the tone.Enjoy your new guitar!
:)

You really hit the nail on the head. A shorter scale will have less string tension. Easier to play and bend strings, but less volume. That is the key to the tonal differences between the OM35 and 00028 Martins. For less money try the plainer OM21. Should sound similar to the OM35 although I believe the neck profiles are different. Both have 1.75" nuts, of course, since this is standard on OM's.

• Members

The 21s don't have a bound fretboard, which affects the feel. Also, the 35 is the only OM with a three piece back I think. The three piece is important mainly because they use a different bracing (from what I'm told by a guy who was told by a Martin tech, so i could be wrong). This means that the 35 is naturally more bassy, and with more volume. To be honest, I haven't even seen an OM-21, let alone played one, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

• Members

Originally posted by bardsley

The 21s don't have a bound fretboard, which affects the feel. Also, the 35 is the only OM with a three piece back I think. The three piece is important mainly because they use a different bracing (from what I'm told by a guy who was told by a Martin tech, so i could be wrong). This means that the 35 is naturally more bassy, and with more volume. To be honest, I haven't even seen an OM-21, let alone played one, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I was referring to the neck profile which is unrelated to the bindings. After checking Martin's site, I now realize that the OM21, OM35, and 00028 all have the same "low profile" necks, while the 0028EC which I really liked has a "modified V", a bit thinner and easier for me to play. Depending on the size of one's hands, this may or may not make any difference in playability.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/features/neck/index.html

The D35 has 1/4" braces while the 28's have 5/16". I own a D35 and would not be able to discern the audible differences between a 35 and a 28 model, other than tonal differences that exist between any two guitars of the same model. I think it comes down to whether you prefer the look of the three piece back and the bound neck. Otherwise, the models are pretty close. Can't go wrong with any of these models, if you are looking for the Martin sound.

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

I was referring to the neck profile which is unrelated to the bindings.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. What I meant was that the feel of an unbound neck is different from a bound one, where everything else is the same, in my opinion. Of course, the neck profile is the same, and it's mainly a cosmetic difference.

The D35 has 1/4" braces while the 28's have 5/16".

Of course, that means that the D35 has 20% less bracing (yes, do the math). Now, while I've played a D28, I haven't played a D35. I've played an OM35, but not an OM-21 (or the OMC-28LJ). Therefore, I'm happy to admit that maybe there's no real difference in tone, but 20% less bracing would suggest that there would be.

Can't go wrong with any of these models, if you are looking for the Martin sound.

I agree with you completely. While we can get bogged down in semantics (or rather, while I can crap on...) every model in this league that I've tried I've wanted immediately, and felt like crying with joy at the tone coming out. It's all good. :D

• Members

Originally posted by bardsley

I agree with you completely. While we can get bogged down in semantics (or rather, while I can crap on...) every model in this league that I've tried I've wanted immediately, and felt like crying with joy at the tone coming out. It's all good.
:D

I hear you man! IMO you have to go to the HD series with scallopped braces, and most importantly, forward shifted top bracing to get a really different sound. I really do not mean to sound nitpicky. ;)

The OM Martins are nice guitars. We are spoiled in the US because we can buy these things for 40% off list.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/pricelist.php

Only $1900 US for an OM35, but that starts to get close to Santa Cruz OMPW territory. They must cost a small fortune way down south in Australia, and must be hard to find. How do the Matons compare.

• Members

One particular OM-35 I know of is mint second hand for $4000, which translates to $2700 US. Of course, this particular one is a bit different: one obvious difference is beautiful ebony tuning buttons, rather than the standard chrome. Retail, a new one costs about $5300 list, which works out to be about $3700 US.

:eek:

Matons, are terrific value - much better value than Martins. I wouldn't hesitate in buying a Maton if I ever found one that I was interested in playing for more than two minutes.

They're great guitars, and very well made, but I've never played any Maton, including ones that list at $5000 AU that I've wanted to take home. They're just not my thing. Neither are Taylors, but I do like Larivees, and they are very reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, I've fallen in love with practically every Martin I've played. I'm reminded of Homer S: "I'll sell ne of my livers, I can get by with just one" :D

Archived