Art & Lutherie?

Mac_Attack

• Members

I'm in the market for a new acoustic, and yesterday I played one of those Canadian deals and liked it a lot. It reminded me of a small Martin dreadnought except about $100 cheaper. Anyone have one of these, and if so, what's the catch to what I thought was a very nice-sounding and nice-playing guitar?

• Members

No catch. They are made by Godin, the same company that makes Seagulls and Simion & Patricks. They are the "budget" model but they are made as good as the higher end models. I have an A & L with a solid spruce top and I got it cheap because it's a second (a new guitar with a cosmetic flaw). Very nice guitar, especially for the money ($240 + case).

• Members

I've had an A&L Cedar for a couple of years and love it and play it daily. It has great tone, good playability (I've spent a good bit of time tweaking the action), and it is well made. It isn't, however, a high-end guitar. There are some compromises. The intonation is off just enough that you notice it in the higher registers. Stay in the open chords and you're OK. Go down the neck and the tone really strays. The tuners aren't bad, but aren't really up to heavy playing. If you're going to gig it, and I have, I'd spring for a set of Grover's or Gotoh's to make your life a little less stressful. Still, it is a lot of guitar for around 3 bills. I'm glad I have it.

• Members

Originally posted by PapaTom

Oops! Correction: it's a solid CEDAR top, NOT spruce, but it still sounds fine IMO.

IMHO the cedar sounds way better than the spruce, I think most people will agree to that. the problem is that the Cedar scratches Very Easily!

Archived