Fender Acoustasonic Amp

jazznjam

• Members

I am an acoustic player - mostly contemporary worship stuff at church - I have an Alvarez RD-30 - I've never had an amp before - I'm looking at a slightly used Fender Acoustasonic SFX II amp for $525 - I would like somthing that has some nice chorusing effects etc. - anyone have any advice?

• Members

I had a Acoustasonic SFX 2 for a about three weeks before I sold it. It really is not a very nice sounding amp. It's preamps seem to take the life out of anything that passes thru them.

I have an Ultrasound now and let me tell the difference between the two are worlds apart. Great vocals too. Very warm sounding amp.

There will be many suggestions made and there are plenty of good amps out there. Best thing to do is take your time and try out as many as you can. If you rush to buy your likely to be unsatisfied.

• Members

I use a SWR strawberry blonde for the same thing as you...Praise and Worship.....I use mine with a Guild JF30 jumbo and also a G&L S500 electric....With them I also have a Boss ME 50 pedal board....This system works great for me....the SWR's tend to have more bottom-end than the other acoustic amp I tried.....And since thats the sound I like, thats what I went with....There is one major drawback with the strawberry however, it has only one channel.....so it is limited....Ive had it now for almost 5 years, and not one problem.... I will be looking into buying the strawberrys big sister the California Blonde after the holidays, as it does offer more options, especially more channels....If you can work with just the one channel , then maybe, MAYBE this is the amp for you.....I do strongly recommend that you actually go out and play all the amps that are available in your price range....Whats good for me is not necessarily good for you......What I do agree with on is giving the Praise and Worship where it is due.....Good luck on your hunt....

• Members

I had a fender acoustasonic, and after about 4 months sold it.

Why? Because it was way too top heavy. For vocals it's OK, but no matter how much I messed with it, I couldn't get any bottom. I finally sold it to someone else and got a CarvinAG100. That is a sweet amp. It has many effects. It has a bottom, mid, and high, and I can shape the sound the way I want.

• Members

I had a fender acoustasonic, and after about 4 months sold it.

Why? Because it was way too top heavy. For vocals it's OK, but no matter how much I messed with it, I couldn't get any bottom. I finally sold it to someone else and got a CarvinAG100. That is a sweet amp. It has many effects. It has a bottom, mid, and high, and I can shape the sound the way I want.

• Members

I also play acoustic guitar in a contemporary praise & worship team. I tried quite a number of different acoustic guitar amps before selecting a Crate CA125D. The Crate has a nice full sound with plenty of bottom end. The main things I didn't like about the Fender Acoustic amps were (1) they sounded trebly and thin and (2) most of them didn't have a line out. I believe that a line out is critical, at least in my situation, in order to run a line to the main mixer and be a part of the house mix.

• Members

Originally posted by funkyfingers

I had a Acoustasonic SFX 2 for a about three weeks before I sold it. It really is not a very nice sounding amp. It's preamps seem to take the life out of anything that passes thru them.

I have an Ultrasound now and let me tell the difference between the two are worlds apart. Great vocals too. Very warm sounding amp.

There will be many suggestions made and there are plenty of good amps out there. Best thing to do is take your time and try out as many as you can. If you rush to buy your likely to be unsatisfied.

Agreed! Put your money into an Ultrasound AG50-DS3!

• Members

Originally posted by coloradojones

The main things I didn't like about the Fender Acoustic amps were (1) they sounded trebly and thin

Absolutely correct, I sold mine within a month or two of owning it (the Acoustasonic SFX II)

• Members

Here's another former owner of a Fender Acoustosonic..had it for 2 months, sold it for a PA head. Hated its thin harsh sound and terrible vocal channel.

For $525, the options listed above are far better. I bought an Ultrasound AG50-ds2 from Dave @ Guitar Adoptions about 18 months ago and like it very much. It does not really cut it over my loud 4 piece band though---I go into the PA for practice and gigs and the ultrasound is my solo coffeeshop/living room amp.

However......If you are playing out live (in a church or on stage somewhere), I would get a good powered speaker. For under $500 you can get a Samson which i hear are good, and for a little more get a Yorkville nx550p and you wil have something that sounds amazing and can be used for a whole lot of other applications (stage monitor, PA purposes, etc.)

• Members

I'll keep this short

Acoustic + Fender + Amp = CRAPPY

So fender makes some good stuff.... acoustic amps isn't one of them.

Ultrasound is probably the way to go. Also the Fishman loudbox was very impressive to me for about the same price with a lot more power.

• Members

http://www.fishman.com/products/amplifiers.asp

These sell for around $500. I have one and am VERY satisfied with it. For this price you can't beat it. No chorus though getting a pedal would probably sound better anyway. One thing you will never have to worry about with this is being loud enough! At 4 or 5 it rattles the walls in my house.

If you are looking for even more volume Fishman came out with a Loudbox Pro 600Watts....although as loud as my loudbox is (250w) I can't imagine needing 600wunless you are actually ONLY using this instead of a PA.

• 9 years later...

Archived