Taylor 555 12-string

Singin' Dave

• Members

I'm thinking about selling my '99 Taylor 555 12-string. Alas, I just dony't play her at all anymore (since I joined band and am playing out a lot now) and I'm gassing for some other gear, so she might have to go.

This is not a spam...I'm not sure I'm gonna sell her. I'm just wondering if any of you all can tell me why they seem to be valued so low in the used market. I've been quietly following Taylor 555's on eBay for a while, as well as on other classifieds etc., and it seems these quite expensive guitars sell for only $800-$900 bucks used. Seems low to me.

I mean these are absolutely amazing 12-strings with the thinnest most playable but strong necks for a 12 I've ever seen. Beautiful mahogony jumbo, ebony board etc. etc. It's just weird to me that they sell for about 40% of their original price used I bought mine new in '99 for something like $1700. MFSR was something crazy like $2600.

What gives with these? Just unpopular or do they have some flaws i don't know about?

• Members

I think it has to do more with supply and demand. I believe there is much more supply than demand for 12 strings.

I agree that the 555 is an excellent 12 string. I currently don't have a 12-string, but I'd like to have one at some point (kinda low on the priority list at the moment however).

Personnally, if I were to buy one now it would be a used Taylor, as I hear they are an excellent value! ;)

• Members

Terry,

I haven;t even taken it out of its case in months, so I'll need to do a bit of research, but here's what I know

It does have a pick-up which I had installed when I bought it. A Fishman Natural, I believe, but I need to check the receipt I still have to confirm.

It is in excellent condition (barely played) but has one nick on the top under the bridge towards the lowere bout where a band member bumped into me. I'll take some pictures and can email them to you.

Yes..the original case is in fine shape and it fits like a glove. It's that fancy arched Taylor case with the red velvet inside...nicest case I've ever seen actually. Pics of that too.

I'd probably sell it for around $1,000, but again I'm still not sure if I'm going to sell that or my Martin 000C-16RGTE, which I just don't use that much since I got my Carvin c980.

• Members

Originally posted by Singin' Dave

Terry,

I haven;t even taken it out of its case in months, so I'll need to do a bit of research, but here's what I know

It does have a pick-up which I had installed when I bought it. A Fishman Natural, I believe, but I need to check the receipt I still have to confirm.

It is in excellent condition (barely played) but has one nick on the top under the bridge towards the lowere bout where a band member bumped into me. I'll take some pictures and can email them to you.

Yes..the original case is in fine shape and it fits like a glove. It's that fancy arched Taylor case with the red velvet inside...nicest case I've ever seen actually. Pics of that too.

I'd probably sell it for around $1,000, but again I'm still not sure if I'm going to sell that or my Martin 000C-16RGTE, which I just don't use that much since I got my Carvin c980.

OK....just email if you decide to sell and we'll see what my finances are at that point! :)

• Members

Taylors don't appreciate in value as readily as Martins and Gibsons. For one thing, new ones seem to be flooding the market . On top of that 12 strings tend to be the most common guitar that a player will sell when thinning out the herd. For that reason I highly recommend buying Taylors and 12 strings used over new. A lot more value for the money that way.

Archived