Old Yamaha Acoustic 12 string ?

desaljs

• Members

A friend of mine has an old (1965 vintage) Yamaha acoustic 12-string. It has a red label inside the body that has the following:

Yamaha Guitar

FG-230

Nippon Gakki

Does anyone know anything about these instruments? Value?

Thanks.

• Members

I bought a similar model in 1973 for $235.00 new. It had a very large neck, as I recall, and I traded it in because of that. Couldn't tell you current value. Hold on to it. Guitars of that age, in decent condition, are becoming valuable to a certain group of collectors. Not saying it will be a gem of an investment but it may fetch better than it's original retail price.

• Members

Originally posted by desaljs

A friend of mine has an old (1965 vintage) Yamaha acoustic 12-string. It has a red label inside the body that has the following:

Yamaha Guitar

FG-230

Nippon Gakki

Does anyone know anything about these instruments? Value?

Thanks.

That is what's known as a Red Label Yamaha. These guitars are highly sought after because they sound so good and cost so little. They were inexpensive instruments which used laminated back and sides and were built in Japan by Nippon Gakki. They are frequently listed on ebay. How playable is this instrument? After all, it is a 40 year old guitar, and a 12 string at that.

Archived