Still another guitar choosing dilema,it's still hard to decide.

KATMAN

• Members

I've been gassing for a Larrivee for a long time,but I was thinking about it today what else I could get,gear that is,with $1000.At that store where the Larrivee is,they also have Takemine "G" something for $350. It sounds pretty good,with the Tak,I can also get a Ibanez classical w/pickups I like for aroud$385,plus I can get a moniter,mic stands ,cables,a five guitar stand with the remaining bucks and have somthing left over,what do you think? I know acoustic purist wouldn't agree,but I am trying to get solo gigs,and all the gear I need for that stuff,is it worth it? I'm also a cheapo and have trouble spending $1000 on one guitar,though be it a great choice.

• Members

You the man. I subscribe to everything you said. What am I going to get for the buck. If I can equip a mini studio and have all the gear to record, that gear will make any guitar in the range you mention sound just as good as one single high-end guitar. Listen to Tioga_Man's sticky with all those guitar sound-click's posted by Guitar Adoptions. Sorry, can't see the money for something that just isn't big-bucks distinctive. I'm not one to wear my wealth on my sleeve. I'm the kind of guy who would feel stupid driving an exotic car feeling everyone else was staring at me thinking just how dumb I was by investing that kind of money in rolling stock that depreciates as soon as you sign on the dotted line. High-end guitars are no different and I would still feel foolish knowing I put that kind of money in something that just doesn't give it back. I have had them and if it came to it, they would still be the paddle if I ever got up sh't creek. Think practically first. If the biz gives a return - well that's a different story isn't it. 'Til then, don't get brainwashed by the hype. This site can insidiously do just that.

• Members
Originally posted by KATMAN

I'm not sure of the make,it's a OM,it's a spruce with rosewood back and sides and a ebony fretboard.

I have the OM-03R, (sounds like that's what you're describeing) and although it's a great guitar, I have cheaper guitars that I prefer. I'd go with the Tak etc if I were you, although...

• Members

KATMAN, to help you keep things in perspective, the older you get the more likely you can afford to spend money on aethetics. This is because, presumably, you make more money as you get older (your time is worth more), and therefore you have more disposable income.

This is why there is such a boom in acoustic guitars with endearing appointments, but which cost an arm and a leg. Somebody can afford them and does afford them. And, the Internet has married those with money to the guitar manufacturers, to perpetuate this sort of activity. Moreover, as you get older you want that long cherished guitar with a lifetime's laundry list of ideal features.

In the thick of it all, those who are not older, but who are witness to beautifully appointed guitars, after a while accept them as within their own means even if they are not.

• Members

way back when I was a yongster I bought the guitar that I could afford. I had to put up with crappy tuners, bad action, etc.

now that I have a real job and have played guitar for forty years I spent my money on an expensive guitar.

and I am glad those poor guitar days are over. I got what i paid for.

everytime I pick up the guitar it is 'there' for me. always in tune, feels great, plays great, sounds unbelievable.

Archived