Sending A Guitar Back To Martin

JasmineTea

• Members

Apperently, the only fix for my 000-1 is a neck re-set: The saddle is right about down there, and the bridge pins, although seated as far in as can go, are annoying when muting with my palm.

Any experience with Martin warranty?

How's the workmanship?

Service?

Any advice.

• Members

Martin really doesn't like doing its own warranty repairs. They will refer you to a local authorized repair tech.

They should cover a reset (especially on a somewhat recent guitar) provided you are the original owner.

How old is the guitar?

• Members
Originally posted by egordon99

Martin really doesn't like doing its own warranty repairs. They will refer you to a local authorized repair tech.

They should cover a reset (especially on a somewhat recent guitar) provided you are the original owner.

How old is the guitar?

I bought it new in '03

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

Apperently, the only fix for my 000-1 is a neck re-set: The saddle is right about down there, and the bridge pins, although seated as far in as can go, are annoying when muting with my palm.

Any experience with Martin warranty?

How's the workmanship?

Service?

Any advice.

Watch out!:mad:

Hey Jas,

We had a nightmare repair from an

• Members

Jasmine, why does a two year old guitar need a neck reset? This sounds like some serious structural issues. Both my Martins needed it, but not until 25 and 30 years - pretty normal. Can you at least take it back where you got it for advice.

I can PM you information about the luthier that I have used and have been extremely happy with if you would like his opinion.

• Members

Jas,

A 2 year old guitar needing a neck reset? Doubtful, but it has happened. That would mean that the neck angle was not correct when in was assembled.

Have you done the straightedge test? You know, put a long ruler across the frets pointing toward the bridge. It should touch the bridge. If the ruler points into to top, then you've got trouble. Frest.com shows all of this, doesn't it?

So.. how are the Martin dealers in Milwaukee? Do you trust any of their technicians. I suppose you could drive down to Chicago. Martin actually has a very small repair shop and avoids repair work, but will take work if there are no dealers nearby or to fix botched work. They did end up fixing my neck reset after the local dealer botched it, but I think you already know that story. Of course, my D35 is 30 years old, not 2.

Still, I would be surprised if you need such series work on such a young instrument.

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

Jas,

A 2 year old guitar needing a neck reset? Doubtful, but it has happened. That would mean that the neck angle was not correct when in was assembled.

Have you done the straightedge test? You know, put a long ruler across the frets pointing toward the bridge. It should touch the bridge. If the ruler points into to top, then you've got trouble.

Straight edge test has it pointing into the bridge about half way between the top, and the top of the bridge.

However, after having a set up at Denny Rauen (if he's good enough for Leo Kotke, he's good enough for me) there is'nt much saddle showing, only a sliver, and that means the pins, although seated as far in as possible, sit rather high, and are uncomfortable when muting.

Rauen also adjusted the break angle by cutting some small slots from the pins towards the saddle.

edit: It seems to me, a two year old guitar aught to show more saddle than just a sliver.

• Members

Straight edge test has it pointing into the bridge about half way between the top, and the top of the bridge.

It does not sound like the neck angle is off by very much by this test so I doubt whether Maritin would authorize a neck reset, but you can always take it to an authorize repairman and ask. When mine needed a reset the ruler pointed right into the top.

Or take it back to Danny Rauen for his opinion? Why does the saddle need to be this low? Why did he need to put string "ramps" in a nearly new guitar? If there was a problem at the time Martin should have been notified. Something does not sound right.

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

Why does the saddle need to be this low? Why did he need to put string "ramps" in a nearly new guitar? If there was a problem at the time Martin should have been notified. Something does not sound right.

I've seen quite a few new guitars with high saddles. "High" meaning the saddle has the strings sitting higher than the pins.

When I bought the guitar, the saddle was already below the hight of the pins, the action was a bit high, the neck a little bowed forward.

But it played ok, sounded good, and I could see by looking doun the neck, that a truss adjustment would do the trick to make it play even better. It did, but, now I've had it set up lower for jazz. It plays great, but like I say, pins are high, saddle is low.

Mabey I just need to find an authorized dealer to give the okey-dokey. If I can get it done under warranty, I'll keep it and add a pup. If not, it's for sale.

• Members

And furthermore, I had the ramps done before the set-up, -two seperate jobs- and even with "normal" action the tops of the pins are above the hight of the saddle, aprox 1/8 -3/16 higher than the saddle.

The top is not warping or anything, I think they just set the neck wrong at the factory. If it does'nt get a re-set now, it's gonna need one way before the 25-30 year mark.

I will talk to Denny about it again.

• Members

And furthermore, I had the ramps done before the set-up, -two seperate jobs- and even with "normal" action the tops of the pins are above the hight of the saddle, aprox 1/8 -3/16 higher than the saddle.

The top is not warping or anything, I think they just set the neck wrong at the factory. If it does'nt get a re-set now, it's gonna need one way before the 25-30 year mark.

I will talk to Denny about it again.

Yeah, I would definitely get it looked at. The saddle should not be that low but with the ruler pointing into the bridge rather than the top Martin may not authorize it. I would not have bought this guitar in the first place, but hindsight ain't worth nothin'.

BTW, don't be so concerned about the height of the bridge pins. They may just sit higher than what you're used to seeing. It's the break angle of the strings over the saddle that needs to be addressed. I can understand ramping the strings on an older guitar to avoid or delay performing a neck reset but question why a reputable technician would perform this on a new guitar which is covered under warranty. Unless Martin will cover the work under warranty it sounds like it would cost more than the guitar is worth to fix it from your own pocket. Better to fix the problem right the first time. Sorry to hear about your problem. Hope it all works out for you Jas.

• Members

Hindsight is usualy 20/20, and worth something if you can learn from it.

The 000-1 was the first acoustic I bought in about 11 years, the one before that was a Guild jf4 witch is still running good without any repaire/set-ups at all. The frets are shot. I did'nt think the hight of the pins/saddle on the 000-1 was a problem at time of purchase...go figure. Mabey it has changed since I got it.

One thing I forgot to mention: A faint white, dusty line has appeared where the heel joins the body. It started showing up about a year after I got it.

Anyway, Rauen recommended a good Martin-authorized repairman, I talked to him for a long time, described everything, answered his questions, and he said it's covered, send it. So I did.

I never thought I'd put a guitar on a ups truck, but I did today.

Why did Rauen do the ramps? Because I asked him to, along with making the pins seat all the way down. I bring a lot of guitars to Rauen, and I may be confusing one set-up with another. It could be (and would make a bit more sense) that I had the ramps and the set-up done at the same time.. I don't remember. The reciept(s) in the case with the guitar, on the ups truck.

Will give a full report upon it's return.